Stories on a school district piloting a cash incentive based on attendance, a principal/substitute bus driver studying driver shortage for his doctorate, and an accident that hospitalized students and a bus driver were among the most popular on School Bus Fleet magazine’s Facebook page in 2017.
1. District Cuts School Bus Driver Absenteeism With Attendance Bonus
Jefferson County (Ky.) Public Schools started a pilot program that pays school bus drivers and special-needs assistants a $200 bonus for every pay period they come to work every day to address driver shortage and absenteeism.
2. Principal Drives School Bus, Studies Driver Shortage for Doctorate
Dan Zylstra pitches in to mitigate the driver shortage at his school not only as a substitute driver, but also by researching the issue as he earns his doctorate in education.
3. 11 Students, School Bus Driver Hospitalized After Semi Hits Bus
A semi tractor trailer in Indiana struck the driver’s side of the bus and pushed it off the road. Students and the bus driver were treated for injuries.
4. SBF Editor Appears on Good Morning America
The news program cited School Bus Fleet data on driver shortage and interviewed Thomas McMahon on the topic.
5. School Bus Drivers to Showcase Skills in International Safety Competition
The National School Transportation Association hosted the 47th Annual School Bus Driver International Safety Competition on July 15 and 16 near Indianapolis, Indiana.
See all comments