CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. — A school bus driver acted quickly when her bus caught fire on Thursday morning and saved the 20 students aboard from harm, WSMV reports.
At a bus stop at around 6:30 a.m., the bus’s lights blinked and the engine stopped, according to the news source. A student told WSMV that she saw smoke coming from the bus. She added that the bus driver told the students to start lining up, that they exited from the front of the bus, and the driver made sure all the students walked away from the bus. No students were hurt or aboard the bus when it caught fire.
Clarksville Montgomery County School System administrators told the news source that an electrical problem with a cable near the battery caused the bus to catch fire. Jim Sumrell, the chief operations officer for the district, told WSMV that the district is proud of the driver, and she “did a great job for us.”
School administrators told the news source that the bus, which is 16 years old, passed an inspection in July. The bus will be replaced with a new one that will cost $80,000, according to the news source.
To read the full story, go here.