MAHWAH, N.J. — Police said that a student’s quick thinking helped him and his bus driver evacuate a bus right before it caught fire on Tuesday morning.

The bus had just picked up its first student, Rocco Arcese, 11, on the way to school, according to NBC 10. Soon after, Arcese said that the bus smelled like burning rubber, so he alerted the driver, and they agreed to evacuate, CBS New York reports. The front of the bus became engulfed in flames moments later. Responding firefighters extinguished the fire, and no injuries were reported, according to NBC 10. The fire chief told NBC 10 that the fire is believed to have been caused by a mechanical problem.

Arcese’s family told CBS New York that they love the school bus driver and are thankful for the safe actions he took.

0 Comments