News that drew the most traffic on the School Bus Fleet website this year covered illegal school bus passing, a petition for tougher penalties on stop-arm running, and student and driver fatalities in the danger zone.
Here are the five most-viewed news items of the year, with links to the full stories.
1. Man Who Allegedly Drove on Lawn to Pass School Bus Arrested
Matthew S. McCloskey of Missouri was charged with leaving the scene of an accident, driving on a suspended license, and violation of a school bus stop sign.
2. Motorist Arrested After Crash that Killed 3 Students Trying to Board School Bus
Alyssa Shepherd of Indiana allegedly ran a stop arm and hit four students, killing three and seriously injuring another.
3. Petition to White House Seeks to Toughen Penalties on Stop-Arm Running
The petition calls for penalties such as jail time and a 90-day driver’s license suspension for illegal passing.
4. 2 Killed in School Bus Yard Shooting in Tennessee
Warren Nostrom was charged with first-degree murder in the fatal shootings of his estranged wife and one other person at a bus garage.
5. School Bus Driver Killed by Backing Bus
Richard Proffitt of Virginia was standing behind a bus at a transportation facility when it fatally struck him.