TC3000

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  4:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMCBlueBird83

quote:
Originally posted by IC RE 1629

There is the Blue Bird on the International 3300 Chassis. I believe that is offered with the International engines. I'm not sure what else you get, as far as engines go.

What kind of transmissions do Thomas, BB, and IC offer in there buses?

If the Blue Bird International 3300 is still available it would offer the DT466 as well as the VT365. There was talk about Blue Bird no longer offering this bus, however a check at the the Blue Bird website still lists the 3300 as being available. But the site is not updated often so who knows, LOL

I'll save the tranny answer for somebody else since I can't recall the new model numbers.

Speaking of their site (Offtopic), I found new flyers for their All-American and Vision, they have one version for the CAT C7, the other for Cummins.
Plus, of course, the 3300 is still there :)

Edited by - TC3000 on 12/07/2005 4:52:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  02:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a brochure for the All American RE and FE that I got in late 2003, early 2004. They both list the Cummins ISB and ISC as engine options. Didn't BB not have those options for awhile?
Go to Top of Page

informal

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  07:18:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit informal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you want an International chassis with a Blue Bird body I'am told this will be the last year. Starting with the 2007 emissions International will no longer offer this chassis.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:54:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like that Blue Bird conventional on the 3300 chassis. I like that bus better than the Blue Bird Vision. That's sad that they are not going offer it any more.
Go to Top of Page

TC3000

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  3:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like that Blue Bird conventional on the 3300 chassis. I like that bus better than the Blue Bird Vision. That's sad that they are not going offer it any more.

It's the end of an era as we know it :(
Go to Top of Page

thomas91
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  3:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh. About 75% of our fleet is Blue Bird/International. Can't imagine what we'll do when they discontinue the 3300...even though we usually buy used. These buses have proven to be one hell of a combination for us.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  7:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by informal

If you want an International chassis with a Blue Bird body I'am told this will be the last year. Starting with the 2007 emissions International will no longer offer this chassis.

What do you meen because of the emissions??
This is the same chassis and engines that are used with the IC CE.
If it was dicontinued because of emmisions then there would not be an IC CE either...

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  7:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I do agree that International isnt going to offer the 3300 for much longer. But I dont see how its related to emmisions.

Robert B.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  02:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know new emissions standards are affecting engines, but what do the emissions standards have to do with the actual bus itself?
Go to Top of Page

TC3000

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  06:22:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know new emissions standards are affecting engines, but what do the emissions standards have to do with the actual bus itself?

Maybe the new standards prohibit chassis manufacturers from supplying school bus chassis to just any bus body manufacturer? (only allows something like Freightliner being locked to Thomas)

Perhaps the IC-CE chassis is vastly different from the 3300 in which the upcoming VT390 wouldn't be compatible with the 3300?

Edited by - TC3000 on 12/10/2005 06:22:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  06:36:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe the new standards prohibit chassis manufacturers from supplying school bus chassis to just any bus body manufacturer? (only allows something like Freightliner being locked to Thomas)

This is done by the choice of Frieghtliner. Freightliner owns Thomas, so business-wise, it makes sense to only supply their chassis to Thomas. Fueling another body company with your chassis wouldn't give you a real competitive edge. Interational owns IC, so again, it would not make sense to spread that chassis around (though they do offer the 3300 to Blue Bird for a VERY high price).

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  2:04:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a VT390 coming out?
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  3:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The MD-3060 is no longer made? or is it not availiable in BB's only? As I've said several times, I don't know much about this engine and transmission stuff.

As I mentioned earlier in this topic, the MD3060 is STILL being made. The PTS-3000 does NOT replace the MD3060. Here is the link that I posted in that post:

http://www.allisontransmission.com/product/commercialtransmissions/model/pts/index.jsp?CTAMR=schoolshuttlebus

quote:
That is nice that Blue Bird ad Thomas offer all these options. I do like the International engines, but I could some could benefit from a larger choice of engines in the IC buses.

I would have to disagree. I think it's nice that International only uses their products under the hood. One advantage is you only have to worry about one service point for your bus chassis, engine, and body.

quote:
There is a VT390 coming out?

Yes. I think I mentioned this in another post awhile back. The VT365 is going to be redesigned and larger. It is going to be a 6.4 liter diesel engine.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  4:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still a V8 though?
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  4:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Still a V8 though?

Yes, that's correct.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  02:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willn the VT365 still be offered though? I don't know much about this engine stuff.
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  07:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Willn the VT365 still be offered though? I don't know much about this engine stuff.

No. The VT365 is going to be replaced by the "new" 6.4 liter model.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  07:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know when this change will happen? (i.e. month, day, etc?)
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  4:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Does anyone know when this change will happen? (i.e. month, day, etc?)

This new engine should be available by January 2007 at the latest, since it will be meeting the 2007 engine emission requirements. Look for it within the next year or so.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  02:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully this engine will perform more like the old T444E! I miss that engine!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  1:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the square/cubical part of the engine located at the very bottom? The part I am referring to is gray in color in the following photo:
http://www.actionsalvage.com/diesel1.jpg

The photo is of an International DT466.
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  2:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What is the square/cubical part of the engine located at the very bottom? The part I am referring to is gray in color in the following photo:
http://www.actionsalvage.com/diesel1.jpg

The photo is of an International DT466.

Oil pan

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  3:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is what I thought it was. Is this where the oil pan is located on all diesel engines that have been available in school buses in recent years?
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  4:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You will find a notable few with the oil pan on top.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  4:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've seen a few with the oil pan on the side...
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  5:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at this photo:
http://atlanticbusyard.com/3001B.jpg

Towards the back of the bus, what are the two items that my yellow arrows point to? If it helps, this bus has a International T444E and an Allison AT545.
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  7:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The front one looks to be the transmission oil pan, the rear is the crankcase breather hose.

Buses are not a way of life, they are life
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  8:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is what I thought it was. Is this where the oil pan is located on all diesel engines that have been available in school buses in recent years?

The deepest part of the pan called the "sump" can be towards the front as in the picture or towards the rear, basically for clearance in whatever the chassis the engine is going in.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  08:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What is the difference between an inline 6 and a V8? Is it just the number of pistons?

Is this a quiz or do you really not know? I'm guessing this is not one of the questions you get on an ASE exam.

Here is something for you if you don't know much about motors-thought you might like it. This would have saved my father a lot of time if he had one of these when he was trying to explain to a 12 year old(me)how a motor works.

http://www.keveney.com/otto.html

High School Friend-"Hey! How are you! Well, I guess you can't be doing too well, you're driving a school bus."
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  08:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by misterbill

[quote]
Is this a quiz or do you really not know? I'm guessing this is not one of the questions you get on an ASE exam.

Look at the date of that post your quoting. I asked that question in September of 2005. If you read the posts that follow, you'll see the question was answered. Two years ago, I hardly knew anything about engines. I know alot more now.
Go to Top of Page

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  09:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by misterbill

[quote]

Look at the date of that post your quoting. I asked that question in September of 2005. If you read the posts that follow, you'll see the question was answered. Two years ago, I hardly knew anything about engines. I know alot more now.

Can you tell me why a diesel does not like to start when it is cold?

I will not accept cold motor oil as an answer.

High School Friend-"Hey! How are you! Well, I guess you can't be doing too well, you're driving a school bus."
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  11:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I understand, it's often because a diesel engine uses heat and compression to create an explosion in the cylinder. A typical engine with a spark plug uses an electrical spark to cause the explosion. The use of things like glo plugs and block heaters can help this.

Diesel fuel can gel up in extreme cold. A special additive can be poured into the fuel tank to help prevent this.

That's about as much as I know on why they won't start. A few of the other mechanics on here could give you more detailed information.

Where did you hear cold motor oil? I've never heard that as a reason they won't start.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  11:52:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Where did you hear cold motor oil? I've never heard that as a reason they won't start.

Cold motor oil becomes a problem when it's so thick that it becomes hard to crank the engine because of the extra work the geared oil pump must do. Also, that same thick oil fills every friction point in the engine, so really anything that's turning is going to be stiffer when the oil is cold. I've pulled out the dipstick on my bus on some cold mornings (well below zero) and the oil was more like grease in the way I could smear it around the dipstick. At work last year, the oil filters on one bus exploded because the oil was so thick. (And it wasn't revved up)

All in all, your engine might not start when the oil is too thick beacause A) if it's so cold that the oil is that thick, the cranking power from that battery is reduced drastically as well and B) the slower crank from the stiffness of the oil might not be enough for the engine to finally turn over. Then of course add all the diesel-reasons too.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  5:29:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for explaining that 85-16. I've never heard of that being an issue with our buses. I'll have to talk to our mechanics and find out if we've ever had that issue.
Go to Top of Page

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  06:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you for explaining that 85-16. I've never heard of that being an issue with our buses. I'll have to talk to our mechanics and find out if we've ever had that issue.

Very good! I just wanted to see how much you have learned. I didn't want 'oil' for an answer because that is a reason that a motor that runs on gasoline might not start. In the old days, before the newer oils that they have now, truck drivers would have to drain the oil out of their trucks and put it somewhere warm for the night. Sounds like fun to me. I had to change the oil(oops! fuel filters[I'm editing]) filters on a truck that I was driving once when it was -8. Lots of fun. Only good part was I had the truck at home.

Edited by - misterbill on 02/23/2008 09:40:18 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000