Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 West Coast ER Thomas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dravo

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  5:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dravo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is the difference between a Thomas West Coast ER and the regular Thomas ER? Are they still in production?

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  6:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The West Coast-ER was available in the 1980s as either tandem or single rear axle. I think it was mainly for California, like Crowns and Gilligs. I am pretty sure that the west-coast-er isn't sold anymore, and Thomas just has the HDX. It might have been available in the 1990s, but I am not sure...
1980s West-Coast-er
http://www.schoolbuscentral.com/gallery/updates/jul05/images/22.jpg
1980s not west coast ER
http://www.schoolbuscentral.com/gallery/updates/aug05/th2_88er_ny.htm

Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  11:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The oldest westcoaster i have heard of was a 91, and that was on an auction list with no picture. I'm assuming that was the last or towards the last year for them since the last west coast bus co. crown sold its rights that year so it had no competition and faded out.
Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  10:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lifestar Fe

The West Coast-ER was available in the 1980s as either tandem or single rear axle. I think it was mainly for California, like Crowns and Gilligs. I am pretty sure that the west-coast-er isn't sold anymore, and Thomas just has the HDX. It might have been available in the 1990s, but I am not sure...
1980s West-Coast-er
http://www.schoolbuscentral.com/gallery/updates/jul05/images/22.jpg
1980s not west coast ER
http://www.schoolbuscentral.com/gallery/updates/aug05/th2_88er_ny.htm

Actually they are common in other states where Crowns and Gilligs were used. Washington has quite a few school districts with these, and they are most often found in districts where a good portion of the fleet once consisted of Gillig or Crown. Longview is a good example.
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  06:14:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen them in Iowa also. The district I know that had one bought it as they wanted a 90 passenger bus and I am not sure if you could get the ER in greater than 84 passenger.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  1:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You could get the ER with a 90 passenger capacity.
Go to Top of Page

captrodgers

United States
4 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  10:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Westcoaster was a ThomasHDX Safe-t-liner built to California specs. It was built to specifically compete with Crown Supercoach. But for $15,000 cheaper. There were tandem traction drive axles offered to lure mountain districts into buying them for snow conditions. Several tandems were purchased in some of the far northern CA mountain districts. A few ended up in central and southern CA districts. Some of those tandems in the flats had a dummy axle (waste of money in my opinion), but CA directors liked the look of a tandem. They did hold 90 passengers. Tandems were offered all the way through the 80's and 90's. A 1999 Thomas Safe-t-liner demo tandem was equipped with a 3126E CAT and 10 speed reverse shifting transmission(rare). It was later purchased by a school district in the El Dorado County area.
Go to Top of Page

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  09:19:57 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captrodgers

A 1999 Thomas Safe-t-liner demo tandem was equipped with a 3126E CAT and 10 speed reverse shifting transmission(rare). It was later purchased by a school district in the El Dorado County area.

Yup...MY highschool!!

Thanks to Todd Pemberton for the photo.

Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  2:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta say I've never seen one. I'll be darned. Cool lookin bus for sure.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000