Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2002 :  6:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Yellow Limo web site is now up and running. All of the picture galleries are available except the special needs page and I am working on that now. Check it out!!!
www.yellowlimo.tk

Thanks to everyone who e-mailed me about the progress of that page. I hope you enjoy it!

Jeff Flatt

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2002 :  8:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of that site.. I have some insight on how to make your site worth while (Not that I'm saying it isn't, this is just coming from someone who has considerable experience).

First off, your site has WAY too much Multimedia Flash animation. The basic guidelines for building a website (and one of the most important), is that a site's home page should not have an intro. page with a flash banner. Everything the site has to offer on its home page should be able to be downloaded via a 28.8 K modem within a minute (20 seconds for 56K).

I have 56K, but my connect speed never tops 26400 bytes per second. Therefore, your entire home page (including your first intro. page takes me over ten minutes to load (and if I use the Library, which has T1 lines that are 5X faster than DSL, it takes me 45 seconds).

Each successive page, with a 56K connection, shall load in under 20 seconds, with all content, links, and graphics loaded and with no errors. Your photo galleries take me over 5 minutes to load each, which is a turn-off. Especially for a site that has very great potential.

I'm saying this to make it known that not all of your visitors have lightning fast computers with T1 lines or DSL. About 80 percent of all home computers still have 56K dialup, and for a site like yours, it becomes a turnoff because because of the length of time it takes to download each page.

Your site has potential, don't get me wrong. And from what I've seen, it looks like a good one, but please cut down on the animated graphics. Too many animations (unless that's the site's primary content) becomes a turnoff.

And if you wish, feel free to add my Gillig site to your list of links. it's at http://www.geocities.com/gilligcoaches

Don't take this offensively. Take it as 'constructive criticism' from a fellow school bus site webmaster.

Now I can control my OWN traffic - with my OWN 3M traffic signal!
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2002 :  06:59:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steven,
Thank you for your response. When I decided to do a website a dear friend of mine found someone to do the design of this page. I really did not have any say on flash animation, but I will give him your suggestions and let him read your message on this forum. I guess that I'm naive' to think everyone has internet connected to their cable. No, I am not offended by your statements and Thank you for pointing some of these things out. When I typed up the manuscripts of what I wanted, all I told the webmaster is that I wanted something completely different from what everyone else has. So be patient, I am totally new to this, and yes, I would like to add your site to my links page. Some of these pages will be edited this weekend and the table of contents will be adjusted slightly. Thanks for your interest!

Jeff Flatt
Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2002 :  08:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Steve. I stopped waiting for the site to open ebcause I got bored with waiting.

It's the little things that count
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2002 :  11:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cosidering all of the months it took to prepare this website, the webmaster has concluded it will take another week to make theses changes. I have spent countless hours
and months speaking with TN. State officials and getting their input about what to feature on this site besides photo galleries,
Almost everyone I spoke with said they would like to see something flashy. Well flashy is what we've got! I will ask the webmaster if I can post his e-mail address on this forum and maybe you guys can give him some pointers. This will be totally between you and the webmaster, NOT me. I am in favor of anything that will help launch this website,without having to compromise all of the work and time that several people have donated to help build this page!!!

Jeff Flatt
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  12:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Overall, the site is great. Like others have said, though, there is too much annimation and it takes a while to load everything. The credits move WAY too slow. They should be static, instead of scrolling. Also, I'm not a big fan of frames. The way my screen it set up, it's hard to see everything in the middle frame.

Ryan's School Bus Yard--www.busman49.com
RSBY gift shop--www.busman49.com/store.html
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  2:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am well aware that the credits move slow, and I don't like it either. The frame was not my idea and I would rather have things pop-up like it does on your page Ryan, or like on Jason's page. But, I am on vacation for the next 3 weeks and so is the webmaster. We are going to refine a few things. But the animation will stay in tact. I realize that some people don't care for it but I don't want to be like everyone else. I have gotten a few complaints that things download too slow, that's not my problem. Everyone and I do mean EVERYONE that has a computer in the surrounding counties of Nashville have internet through BellSouth or Comcast Cable. My family lives in a rural part of this state and their download time is just as fast as mine and they have dial-up. When we were going over demographics for this website we knew most people around here had quick download time because of the internet providers in this state. I do agrre that a few things need to be tweeked and I will worry about that in a few weeks. You have to remember this is my first time ever doing something like this, However, I do appreciate everyone who has e-mailed me a suggestion. I will give these to the webmaster and let him review them and let him decide what he can do that help download time for people that don't have a quick up-time. As far as the flashy I have had too many people e-mail me with positive feed back. So the flashy stays. I raelize that everyone will not enjoy my site and that is perfectly fine. There are a few other bus sites that I find boring, but I do
plan to add them to my links page anyway. This is an information page as weel as a picture gallery. Soon the TAPT will release the 02-03 State School Bus Inspections county by county and the annual Drivers Safety Class. I am getting this information before most school systems do. I understand that people outside of TN. may not want to see that, but if you look at my opening, you will see who this site is dedicated to. I am not trying to be a smart ass but I have worked relentlessly on this website to go back and have it re-done. So, in short if you don't like the page, just don't re-visit it!!! If you look at the counter on the opening page you will see nearly 100 people have visited this page and so far 63 of those people are from Tennessee. I want everyone to find something on this site that they like. However, the e-mails I have received trying to get me to change this, that, and the other is getting to be pretty insulting. Necessary changes will be made as the webmaster sees fit. The people who have griped about this site need to quit complaining to me and complain to their internet provider!!! Thank You.

Jeff Flatt
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  3:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am well aware that the credits move slow, and I don't like it either. The frame was not my idea and I would rather have things pop-up like it does on your page Ryan, or like on Jason's page. But, I am on vacation for the next 3 weeks and so is the webmaster. We are going to refine a few things. But the animation will stay in tact. I realize that some people don't care for it but I don't want to be like everyone else. I have gotten a few complaints that things download too slow, that's not my problem. Everyone and I do mean EVERYONE that has a computer in the surrounding counties of Nashville have internet through BellSouth or Comcast Cable. My family lives in a rural part of this state and their download time is just as fast as mine and they have dial-up. When we were going over demographics for this website we knew most people around here had quick download time because of the internet providers in this state. I do agrre that a few things need to be tweeked and I will worry about that in a few weeks. You have to remember this is my first time ever doing something like this, However, I do appreciate everyone who has e-mailed me a suggestion. I will give these to the webmaster and let him review them and let him decide what he can do that help download time for people that don't have a quick up-time. As far as the flashy I have had too many people e-mail me with positive feed back. So the flashy stays. I raelize that everyone will not enjoy my site and that is perfectly fine. There are a few other bus sites that I find boring, but I do
plan to add them to my links page anyway. This is an information page as weel as a picture gallery. Soon the TAPT will release the 02-03 State School Bus Inspections county by county and the annual Drivers Safety Class. I am getting this information before most school systems do. I understand that people outside of TN. may not want to see that, but if you look at my opening, you will see who this site is dedicated to. I am not trying to be a smart ass but I have worked relentlessly on this website to go back and have it re-done. So, in short if you don't like the page, just don't re-visit it!!! If you look at the counter on the opening page you will see nearly 100 people have visited this page and so far 63 of those people are from Tennessee. I want everyone to find something on this site that they like. However, the e-mails I have received trying to get me to change this, that, and the other is getting to be pretty insulting. Necessary changes will be made as the webmaster sees fit. The people who have griped about this site need to quit complaining to me and complain to their internet provider!!! Thank You.

Mr Magoo, I hope you don't run a business like that, because then you're doomed to failure. And I'll guarantee that. You have no idea what it takes to build a website, and I'm sure your webmaster isn't very popular, either.

And as far as your site's concerned, I won't visit it until the flash is at least trimmed down, because it's not my Internet Service Provider's fault that my lines are slow. It's my computer. And that remark about that really pissed me off, because it makes you naive, not to mention arrogant. You and your webmaster are naive, arrogant, and cueless to even think that just because most of the people in your home state and/or area has cable, it means that your site is onl;y for them. When a school bus site is made, it isn't tailored for a certain area. Do you think my Gillig site is only directed to Gillig fans? No. I tailored that site not only because it was the first of its kind to feature only Gilligs, but it was produced so as to give the country greater awareness of that brand of bus.

Come on. Lets get realistic here. Just because you have Comcast Cable doesn't mean your site has to be tailored for cable. If that's the case, your site will be a turn off - and a failure. I get 400+ visits a month on my Gillig site, because the content loads quickly. Taking ten minutes to load the homepage is flatly ridiculous. And it will cost you money most likely, because of bandwidth issues.

About sites being boring.. I'm not out to offend you in any way, but in my honest opinion, I find sites with too much animation and too little information to be boring. Not only that, it detracts away from the purpose of the site.

Now, before you and your webmaster go back to work on your site and get too carried away with flash animation that will turn visitors away, check this site out. It's a list of 101 Do's and Don'ts of Web Page Building. I hope you learn a lesson, because what it says is true.

http://www.akstrategic.com/101.html

Here's a few that I thought were the most inportant ones.

Sincerely,

Steven Rosenow

• Keep each page under 40K in size, people will not wait for your web site to load, they will go to your competitors

• Keep images to a minimum, not everyone uses software that displays them. This is more important than ever now with the multitude of mobile devices available.

• Avoid Flash, Java and JavaScript introductions. Not everyone has them installed.

• Avoid using page counters, they are inaccurate and misleading. Do you really want your competitors to know how well your site is doing?

• Avoid using frames, it is safe to assume your visitors know how to scroll the page up and down.

• Avoid using images for links, those with images disabled will not be able to use your site.

• Avoid using JavaScript or Flash stand-alone navigation systems as those with out the facility will not be able to get where they want.

• Images add to the file size of your page dramatically. Keep them small and use them sparingly.

Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  5:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The frame was not my idea and I would rather have things pop-up like it does on your page Ryan, or like on Jason's page.

Jeff, my site is not with a free server anymore, so I no longer have any pop-up ads in any way, shape, or form. I pay for this server. I don't think I told you, but the new address is http://www.schoolbusterminal.net

I do not see why everyone is whining about the Flash animations......I use a 56k dial-up modem and it seems to load in resonable time on my system. I have no complaints about your site and I think it's nice to see a "different" site for a change. I look forward to seeing how your site progresses.

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  5:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a 56k modem as well, and it does take me a bit to load the webpage, especially the intro, but I wait.

I would like it to be trimmed.

Nice work on the pictures!

Check out the NEW School Bus Central: http://www.schoolbuscentral.cjb.net

Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  5:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm gonna eat my words about the animation. I'm one of those fortunate enough to have a somewhat fast computer where it doesn't take a long time to download.

Jeff, I'm not trying to bash your page. I think it's great. I'll definitely be back again because it has the potential to become a great site.

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  6:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
O.K. Steve this is the third complaint I have gotten from you and frankly I am getting tired of it. No, I guess I don't know anything about building, but your website leaves something to be desired.
As for the webmaster, YES, YES, YES, he is very popular. As a matter-of-fact, the webmaster of my page holds 2 associates degrees in Information Technology. How many do you have Steve? My webmaster has won a few awards for his work on several websites in our school district and even received grants to further educate himself and his students in the computer field! Frankly, I don't care if you ever visit my site again, I certainly will not visit yours. I have even deleted it from my "favorites" file.
As for your computer, maybe it's time to invest in a new up-to-date system. As for your remark that my website is for people only in my area, it DEFINITELY IS NOT!!!!!!
The information that is published is pertinent to Tennessee Pupil Transportation. I have tried several times to e-mail photos to other bus pages that feature buses from my state and each time I was refused. My site is dedicated to the bus professionals in my state. I have lived here all of my 33 years and I get a little sick and tired of people passing us off as toothless hillbillies with no common sense. No, Steve I am not arrogant just tired of people like you passing off crack pot remarks, disguising them as advise and suggestions. If I said it once I've said 100 times. This is the first time that I have ever done anything like this. I'm sure the first time you began building a web page it did not turn out perfect. This is all trial and error, and frankly I think I have done well my first time out. No, this website was not tailored around cable. Cable DSL seems to download very quickly and that is the route we chose to take. I don't believe you could even comprehend the hundreds of hours I have spent on this site. And I don't mean time spent in front of a computer. Time spent travelling from one end of Tennessee to the next obtaining information, speaking with State Pupil Transportaion Directors, travelling to take photos of rarely found buses, setting up appointments, interviewing people for my "Profile" page. I have worked my ass off and all I have to say is if my site offends you so terribly just don't ever bother clicking on it again. You alone have completely taken the fun out of this. Maybe I should just delete everything and close the site permanently. I have listened to your suggestions and even tried to follow up on things you have suggested that I do. However, I have had a tremendous amount of positive feed back from people who know my personal e-mail address. Most of the responses that I received came from county transportaion directors in Tennessee. I mailed out 54 letters to area transportation directors with a business promoting this site. I wanted something different and bright and thats what I got! So, If you are trying to break my spirit, STOP NOW, because I am not bending over backwards to satisfy you. Since it seems you know everything maybe you can tell me what the main objective to my site should be! For your further information, I have asked the webmaster to be logged on this Thursday night. This will give him a chance to defend the work he has done. From this point on I would appreciate that you not give me anymore advice. If all of this blows up in my face then I'll just have to try again.
But, I am very proud of the work that my webmaster and I have done and I don't believe that it merits anymore negative responses from you!!!

Jeff Flatt
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  6:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BlueBird4ever and Ryan;
Thank You for your feedback. As I said in a few weeks we will be tweeking and refining a few things. Please be patient, Ryan you know how hard it is to set up a webpage, you were the one who actually inspired me to do one of my own. Exactly what part of the animation do you not particularly like? A few people have mentioned the opening page. How would you suggest a lead-in to my site? Delete the opening page? I am open to positive suggestions. Since your site is one of the few I really enjoy, maybe you can guide me a little. I wanted my site to be colorful and bright. The sites that I really enjoy on the web are flashy and bright. That is not my preference, but something that really gets my attention. Does anyone understand that? Am I supposed to build a page for everyone else? Am I not allowed to get any enjoyment out of my own web site? Apparently not! That is not directed toward you Ryan, I appreciate your remarks and suggestions and I hope you of all people will still view my website. I don't like everything on my site, but I needed to see what it looked like. I am always open to suggestions, but flat-out sarcasm, I won't tolerate. I am proud of the work I have done and I plan to get things straightened out.
My site officially debuted yesterday and all I have heard on this forum are complaints.
Apparently I get no credit for what I have done and it's getting frustrating!

Jeff Flatt
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  6:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
First off, you need to learn how to count, because today was my second post, not my third.

And I wasn't complaining about your site, I was just giving you constructive criticism. Perhaps I was a bit too harsh about it. And if I was, I apologize.

I'm just speaking on behalf of those (including myself) who are financially unable to afford cable modem, Digital Subscriber Line, or T1 internet access. Perhaps you have that luxury, I don't, and probably won't be able to for quite some time. I'm just saying that not everyone has lighting fast computers and modems. It's not like I was demanding you take the Flash animation off, I was just advising that unless you trimmed it, people wouldn't wait the ten minutes it takes on a 26400bps connection for your intro. page to load. In fact, If I had a fast computer, I wouldn't be complaining as much as I am, but being that I'm from a poor financial background, I'm stuck with a computer who's build date is 4-15-1995.

And I never said your site is a waste of web space, either. But you've seemed to take my constructive criticism too far, and turned into a total @$$hole about it. You even thanked me for giving you the advice I did in this post belo. You also gave me comments on my website.

quote:
Steven,
Thank you for your response. When I decided to do a website a dear friend of mine found someone to do the design of this page. I really did not have any say on flash animation, but I will give him your suggestions and let him read your message on this forum. I guess that I'm naive' to think everyone has internet connected to their cable. No, I am not offended by your statements and Thank you for pointing some of these things out. When I typed up the manuscripts of what I wanted, all I told the webmaster is that I wanted something completely different from what everyone else has. So be patient, I am totally new to this, and yes, I would like to add your site to my links page. Some of these pages will be edited this weekend and the table of contents will be adjusted slightly. Thanks for your interest!

Jeff Flatt

And your remarks about my website offended me, because I've spend two years planning that website, and well over a year maintaining it. Degrees in computer web building don't mean anything in my opinion. Some of the greatest websites I've ever seen are from kids who wrote 'em. Not computer scientists with four pages of degrees (I'm being sarcastic, here. Not literal). So don't take what I say personally, it's just the experience I've had maintaining my own, and input from the four web building books I have at home.

And now that you have berated my site, how about giving me some feedback on it? Saying nothing except "it leaves much to be desired" isn't the right way to go as far as advice. I'm open to any and all suggestions you may have.

And I wasn't trying to break your spirit. Not in any way shape or form. I'm not that kinda person. And my remarks aren't, as you put them, "crack-pot remarks disguised as suggestions." They were merely that: suggestions. You just took it too personally.

If I've caused ya heartache, I am sorry, buu after all, you can't expect us not to give feedback when ya post a link to a site up. It's human nature to criticize and compliment. And it's also human nature to provide insight into how something can be better. That's what I was trying to do. I wasn't trying to tell you ya don't know anything about it. After all, it is your first attempt.

Just don't take my suggestions personal.

Thanks

Steven Rosenow

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  7:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Argh, what the heck?

You wanted something different, Jeff, and well, you definitely achieved that. Yes, it did take me a while to download all of the Flash animations and such when I first visited your web page. On the other hand, though, the school buses that you feature on your web page look very, very nice. I can tell that you simply didn't step outside onto your front porch and take pictures of any school bus that happened to drive by.

Anyway, I don't think that Steve was trying to "break your spirit" when he posted what he did. You have to believe me when I say that he has his own way of putting things. Trust me, I've known him for quite some time, and we've had it out over things before.

True, the way he put what he said might've sounded rude, but I don't think his ultimate goal was to create such a fuss — and I know that he's not trying to turn anyone against each other on here.

Having said that, please realize that I'm not trying to speak for Steve. I just wanted to let you know that I've known him for a while now, and I honestly don't think he meant to turn this into a fight.

Anyway, getting back to the web page, not that I'm an "expert" or anything, but maybe if you made it so that you could skip the introduction, it would be a little better. I've visited a lot of web pages before that have fancy introductions but give you the option to "skip" it if you don't want to wait for it to download.

All of us with school buses pages have put countless hours of work into them. I know that personally, I've traveled from Southern California to Northern California and back just to see the school buses along the way. And as for Steve's site, well, it would be unfair for me (or anyone else) to say that he hasn't put the same amount of time and effort into it.

Enough for now. Just my 2¢. We all know that you're not a "toothless hillbilly."

Crown Supercoach - The “Royalty” of Pupil Transportation

Edited by - Buskid on 07/16/2002 7:11:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  7:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
O.K Steve now that I have cooled off a little. I will now ask what people mean by trimmed down. I have no clue what that is. List specifically things on my page that need tweeking (photo, links, etc.) And yes Steve I have heard from you 3 times, twice on this forum and once on my personal e-mail account. Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Am I supposed to change everything to accomodate people who have slow computers for people who have one with a quick download? How am I supposed to please everyone? And maybe I should re-phrase my remark about your site. You do have a good site and I have read all and I do mean ALL of the information on Gillig buses that you feature on your site. I have learned a lot about that particular type of school bus. But one thing that your site lacks(to me), are photos. Yes, you have plenty of information on your site and I do realize this bus is a dying breed. When these buses are all gone, what will your site be then. Have you thought about that? I have!!! Once they're all gone how will you an update on your site? Did you build your website to your liking or someone else? That is one point that I am trying to make. I am not getting any pleasure out of this (not tonite anyway). I have saved the URL address you have given about setting up a website and I WILL read it. I agree that the intro to the page should go. My idea was to not have that page but my second page as the opening page. Do you think that would work? Maybe have my second page with a Table of Contents and remove the Title page? I am open to suggestions, I just DO NOT want to go back and change everything and have a plain, simple, boring website. In my profession flashing lights are a part of my job. The flashiness of my site is to get your attention!!! I don't know if you ever encounter a stopped school bus while you are out and about, but if you do, does the sight of a school bus with flashing lights get your attention? Of course it does!!! Am I so wrong as to want something that will get your attention? As far as my photos being to big, would you rather see a little bitty picture of a bus or a nice-sized photo with clarity? Maybe taking constructive criticism from you is making me uneasy, for the fact I don't know you. I can take constructive criticism, from my friends and even though I don't always agree with their remarks, I do listen!!! Like I said I want the webmaster to read all of the responses about what to do to make this site better. It will be HIS decision whether or not to make dramatic adjustments. My webmaster has been asked to join this forum and I hope he will this Thursday. So, wait until then and maybe he can a find a solution that all of us can agree on !!!

Jeff Flatt
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  7:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can We all Get along here....lol

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  7:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff

Again, if you don't like the introduction page, I think that using your "second" page (the page that you go to after the introduction) as a home page would be just fine.

And actually, as I said in my previous post, if you'd like to keep the introduction (I admit, it is definitely an attention-getter), perhaps you could add a "skip" option so that those with slower computers could get around it.

PS - I think your photos are just the right size. I like the thumbnail views, and I also like the full-sized versions of them.

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  8:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Buskid,
I appreciate your insight, But I have had enough for tonite. I'm going to sign out because the Golden Girls are about to come on
and I'm pooped. C-ya at the forums tomorrow night!

Jeff Flatt
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  8:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jeff.. I appreciate the comments..

I actually do have photos on my website. You probably missed them somewhere along the lines. I've divided them up into Gillig Model numbers.

http://www.geocities.com/gilligcoaches/Images.html

Just click on the links that are in the little silvery emblem-like things that say "855," "318," "636," and so on and so forth..

And there's two more with Phantom and Kenworth Pacific pics. Just click on the left navigation links that say "Gillig Phantom" and "Pacific SchoolCoach" (or "KW Pacific")

As far as photos? I love large photos! The bigger the better! I don't like small ones. They do cut down on quality like you said.

That's all for now.

P.S. I don't remember e-mailing ya. Which was the e-mail address from you supposedly heard from me? I'd be interested in hearing about that.

Thanks again!

Steven

Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  05:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mr,Magoo
I wiould consider their ideas, mention them tot his webmaster guy and tell him to fix the site and modify it.

Obviously, we don't have a problem waiting ever to see pics of school buses bbut most will. It's kind of like a turn off sorta say.

Anyways, keep it quick with lots of pics.

It's the little things that count
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  12:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff!

As I've mentioned to you and to others, I really like your website's photo section, as there are some really awesome school buses featured. I also LOVE when you click on the school bus manufacturer name and a picture of it pops up on the screen right next to it.

The first time I visited your page, the intro took a little bit to load, but now it loads really fast, and I enjoy it a lot. It truly is an attention getter, and it sets it apart from any other school bus site out there.

If I was you, all I would do is add a "Skip Introduction" link directly under the intro, otherwise, I would leave everything else as is, because I truly love it all.

Keep up the good work, and make sure Yellow Limo continues to shine!!!

-Richard Solano

Check out the NEW School Bus Central: http://www.schoolbuscentral.cjb.net

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  4:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have e-mailed my webmaster and more than likely I will have him delete the opening page. From what I understand that one page is causing the slow download time. Someone mentioned the frame in which the photos pop up, which causes the pictures on some peoples computer to be large enough that they have to scroll up and down just to see the whole picture. That problem will be resolved too. The webmaster and I won't meet again until the 10th of August to do that month's update. My page will be updated the 15th of every month. But, I promise some of the things on my site are going to be tweeked. Thanks for your patience and understanding!!!

Jeff Flatt
Go to Top of Page

MarkGonyea

8 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  7:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone,

Jeff's Webmaster here. I don't know a thing about buses other than the info that Jeff gave me. So as far as that area goes, I really don't know alot.

Now as far as the website goes, anyone who has ever put together a website will tell you that the initial posting will have some things that need to be tweaked. I appreciate anyone's comments about the page as to help me make it the best it can be. I do indeed work from a DSL connection, so my connection aspect is a little warped from the 56k modem aspect. Now, in order for most sites to compete and grab attention, this I know about. This is the year 2002 and many websites, over 80% of commercial sites are using Flash animation to enhance and even build the whole site. Technology slows down for no one. As far as the price of new computers go, I just built a top of the line 2ghz machine with 512mb of RAM for under $700. This could even be scaled down to around $300. To me, complaining about the speed of a site when you have a machine that was built in 95 is like Guttenberg complaining that Xerox is slowing down his printing press because he can't reproduce all that information so quickly. Please tell me what year the book was published on Web Design. Because the current books I teach from, state otherwise. Most of the Flash Animations on this page are all vector based graphics, so the speed of your modem really doesn't matter. What does, is the speed of your processor and the amount of memory you have on your machine. I agree that a few things need to be tweaked. However, don't complain about the site because an atiquated computer cannot keep up with the information.

Jeff, I wouldn't worry about most of these complaints. I do take into consideration some of the valid criticisms, but some sound like "Site Envy". This "Steve" guy, I went to his site and he is using buttons made by a "Flash Button" generator for those people who can't make their own. Everything on the "Yellow Limo" site is original.

By the way Steve, "I am in demand for making web pages". The business is getting to the point that I am considering leaving the teaching profession and making this my full time career.

I would be glad to help you with yours. It looks pretty good, but I could help you do more with it....

Thanks for listening to me and letting me defend my work.

I will be changing the "Thanks" section, because even I agree it is way too slow.

Mark Gonyea
"Big Eye" productions

Go to Top of Page

MarkGonyea

8 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  7:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One last thing, about the comment in reference to Frames. This concept of avoiding Frames was popular when not all browsers could handle them. But now, every current browser handles them just fine and it is a great way to organize and keep people on your page. It is also a great way to make a skeleton that can be updated on the FLY. If you don't have a browser that can handle Frames, might I suggest going to Microsoft and DLing it for FREE!!! It's a great program that understands and handles all new browser features.

Mark Gonyea
"Big Eye" productions

Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  10:59:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

My browser doesn't have a problem with frames, but the way they are set up on the page makes it hard to see the whole bus without scrolling up, down, left, and right. Even with a 17-inch monitor it can be difficult. Please take this into consideration. Otherwise, I think you have done a fine job. Keep up the good work.

Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  6:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark, nice to meet you. My real name is Steven Allen Rosenow, BTW.

First off, I don't have site envy. I happen to like the way my site is set up, and I've had a great amount of feedback on it, and most of it says I shouldn't change my site at all. Like they say.. "If it isn't broke, why fix it?" And I've built that website from scratch. The header logos, and everything else besides the photos that have been contributed are all of my own work. Even the background is my own. I can do things for myself. I don't rely on others.

The reason I chose the Flash Button generator is because I liked their designs, not because I cannot make my own. I like to keep flash to a minimum on my site, so the site can load fast, efficient, and without hassles. Besides, I'm running a site at GeoCities, which only allows 3 GB a month for data transfer. Until I can afford to buy my own domain name and web hosting package w/o needing a credit card (since I don't believe that all online purchases should be by c/c only), I'm stuck with what I have.

I don't know about you, but your comments came off as a bit arrogant (don't take it offensively) when you say that a $300 PC is affordable, especially for me. I only make minimum wage (WA state min. wage is $6.90/hour), and with all of my bills(rent, car payment, etc), that leaves me very little left to buy anything but the essentials. I'm using a seven year old PC that in your eyes is outdated, but that's what 2/3rds of the people in the country have - outdated PCs. Not alot of people can afford lightning fast computers.. Add those that can, are usually the ones who think that just because they have one, everyone else has one also. (which isn't the case)

This BS about 80% of all commercial websites using flash is exactly that, BS..

KOMO TV and the entire Fisher Broadcasting/Fisher Communications line of websites doesn't even USE flash - and they are a top-of-the-line communications outlet.

Ebay rarely uses flash, and I can go on and count various other commercial websites that don't use Flash. Quite frankly, Flash Animation to me is too troublesome. Too much becomes a hassle, a turn off, and a nuisance.

I have four web publishing books in reference, all published in 2001 and 2002. And all 4 of those books (none of which have the "...For Dummies" or "The Idiot's Guide To..." in the title) say that an entire website shouldn't be built from Macromedia Flash only. Sites that are 100% Macromedia Flash tend to be avoided by major search engines, and those with text-only browsers (or those who have images disabled in theirs) cannot be able to read the links on it because of the Flash. And speaking of this, I am planning a text-based link field in my website for those who have images disabled in their browsers.

And now that you've said your $.02 about my website, how's about filling me on what you think should be done?

I'll listen.

Edited by - Steven A.Rosenow on 07/18/2002 6:41:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  6:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Now, in order for most sites to compete and grab attention, this I know about. This is the year 2002 and many websites, over 80% of commercial sites are using Flash animation to enhance and even build the whole site.

This "Steve" guy, I went to his site and he is using buttons made by a "Flash Button" generator for those people who can't make their own. Everything on the "Yellow Limo" site is original.

By the way Steve, "I am in demand for making web pages". The business is getting to the point that I am considering leaving the teaching profession and making this my full time career.

I have to disagree with your post Mark, as a webmaster, I severely disagree with your post.

First of all, my website is the School Bus Terminal, at http://www.schoolbusterminal.net. I do not design my site to compete and grab attention. I make my site simple to navigate for viewers who just want to click a simple link to see a photo. I believe in "function over form", and you should really incorporate that in your web design. What good is a pretty, flashy site if nobody can navigate it. I prefer to make a simple but functional website, not a flash, impossible to navigate site.

You need to take a better look at Steve's site. He made EVERYTHING on that site except the button bar, but who can help that, we're not all experts like you are. He put his heart and soul into the design of that site, you need to give him credit for that.

Just because you're in the demand of making websites does not make you any better than the next guy. Many people in the web design field are incompetent at times. It is the quality of the work that you produce, not the quantity. I don't care how many websites you've made or will make, it's the quality of each one.

In previous posts, I have heard Jeff not wanting to have a "plain, simple, boring website". Jeff really insults the rest of us, because that statement implies that he thinks the rest of our websites are plain and boring. Just as well. Like I said before, I'd rather have a boring but functional site rather than an exciting but hard-to-navigate site.

I leave you with this......do not pick on our sites and call them simple or boring. You are in the business of web design while we are not, and it's really unfair to compare apples to oranges, which is what you are doing.

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  6:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear "That Mark Guy",

You are truly an arrogant jackass in my opinion.

Steven's site is HOMEMADE, and built with PRIDE AND LOVE! The headers, backrounds, pictures, are all his (except a few pics) and his site is one of my favorites.

It loads fast, it looks nice, it is nice.

quote:
This "Steve" guy, I went to his site and he is using buttons made by a "Flash Button" generator for those people who can't make their own.

Who the fuc* do you think you are to look down on his site? He is not a "professional webmaster" (sarcastically) like you, even though I think he is, but his site, in my opinion, looks a hell of a lot better than Yellow Limo.

quote:
However, don't complain about the site because an atiquated computer cannot keep up with the information.

He HAS the right to complain, because as mentioned, most people have computers that are from 1995-1997. YOU should build Yellow Limo with a non-flash, non-frame version, to support those people.

You have a lot to learn buddy... not everyone like you Tennesians, or whatever you are called, have top notch "fancy pants" computers with DSL.

People like you make me so pissed. How arrogant can people get?

---------------------

School bus gear, school bus pictures, school bus links, and more!

Check out http://www.schoolbuscentral.cjb.net
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  7:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to let everyone know that the Yellow Limo website is being discontinued as of July 31, 2002

Jeff Flatt
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  7:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh my goodness. Don't be a poor sport. You've gotten complaints. Well, with those complaints you should work to make it better, not just whimp out and close your doors. I've been running a site for four years, so trust me, I know. Because you get opposition, you should not just close down the site. Jeez.

Stop at: http://www.buses.cjb.net
Forums: http://thebusboy.proboards2.com

Quote:
"Today is the first day of the rest of your life."
-Unknown

Edited by - The BusBoy on 07/18/2002 7:25:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  7:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

Don't shut down the site because of some comments. Just fix the site, and tone down on the Flash!

It has great pictures, and a ton of potential, so DON'T just close it.

Please, keep it up.

---------------------

School bus gear, school bus pictures, school bus links, and more!

Check out http://www.schoolbuscentral.cjb.net
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  7:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I just wanted to let everyone know that the Yellow Limo website is being discontinued as of July 31, 2002

Wow. Isn't that a bit extreme?

You have a good thing going, Jeff. You have great pictures, nice information, good ideas — and, obviously, you wanted to share your love for school buses with everyone.

Don't start taking all of this too personally, now. We've all been bashed before in the past, and it's worse to give up than it is to keep on trying.

I seriously hope that you reconsider all of this and won't go through with shutting down your web page. It would sure be a shame if you did.

Go to Top of Page

MarkGonyea

8 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  8:23:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay,

I have sat here and read all these posts over the last two days about how this site needs to be changed here or there. However, when I come on to defend my work, I come off as arrogant. Steve was the first to bash my work without ever talking to me. For some odd reason...it's not OKAY for me to defend my work. But I have to sit back and let a few people bad mouth it. I told Steve his site looked good, but he could also use some improvement (as the old saying goes...people in glass houses shouldn't throw bricks) His site is not perfect and he even breaks some of the guidelines he flippintly threw in our face. The site "Yellow Limo" is not all Flash. There are at most 2 flash banners on each page. The only site I said something about was Steve's due to his constant harrassment of ours. I and I do believe that I didn't trash it, but said it looked pretty good. However, you guys are sorely mistaken about the majority of Americans owning computers from 95 & 96. But I guess I stand corrected by al you knowledgeable people. NO this isn't arrogance, but frustration. You have taken something that someone was very excited about and tore it to shreds. I guess someone can only share their enthusiasm if it is your cup of tea. You guys should all be ashamed of yourselves. I never started the credential arguments, but since you guys brought it up... God Forbid... I tell you a little about what I know. I believe Steve started this whole thing out with his initial arrogant statement
quote:
Speaking of that site.. I have some insight on how to make your site worth while (Not that I'm saying it isn't, this is just coming from someone who has considerable experience).

First off, your site has WAY too much Multimedia Flash animation.

Everyone of your bus sites are just fine...But don't go trashing this one. Jeff...Don't let the few MORONS on here squelch your dream. We can work out the kinks and make it the best site it can be. I think NBC should stop broadcasting in COLOR because not all Americans have Color TV.

Thanks for your time.

Long Live Yellow Limo and the progression of Technology. Sorry if this ticks you off. And sorry my vocabulary isn't as profanely colorful as yours. Clean up your language guys.

Mark Gonyea

Go to Top of Page

MarkGonyea

8 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  8:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am assuming all of you guys have harrassed Collins Bus company because they have FLASH on their site.

Go to Top of Page

MarkGonyea

8 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  8:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, I am finished arguing and defending. This is getting ridiculous.

Mark

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.74 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000