Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  9:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, you shouldn't have to defend your work on here, I agree. I don't understand how this turned into such a big deal anyway since in one post Jeff seemed all right with Steve's comments, and then, in another post, he didn't.

Of course, I'm not at all trying to imply that this is Jeff's fault, I just wish this hadn't have turned into such a big fuss.

But, ANYWAY ... If I could make one, serious suggestion to you — if you decide to keep the introductory page, perhaps you could add a "skip" option. I was just visiting a web page yesterday for school, and it had a Flash introduction. I didn't want to wait for it, and, as with most sites with fancy introductions, it had a "skip" option. I think that would make things just that much better if visitors to your "Yellow Limo" site were able to skip through the sections that may take them a while to load.

That's all for now; if I keep going, I might get myself into trouble.

Crown Supercoach - The “Royalty” of Pupil Transportation
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  08:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I see that we are taking life way too seriously again. Please let the summer temperatures be warm and the emotions be cool.

I think that's one of the best suggestions someone has made in this topic!

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  11:35:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am assuming all of you guys have harrassed Collins Bus company because they have FLASH on their site.

Acutually Mark, Collins' website loads much faster than Yellow Limo, even with flash.

What we said is that we don't mind a small amount of Flash, but when a huge amount of Flash is used, it's annoying.

~~~

Just for your information, my computer isn't obsolete, it's a year 2000 Gateway.

---------------------

School bus gear, school bus pictures, school bus links, and more!

Check out http://www.schoolbuscentral.cjb.net
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  12:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
First I want to say I'm sure it would be a good site, if I could actually get passed the second page, my computer is now 6 months old, it's a Dell, and if I am having problems with this I am sure many other people have problems.

Subsbd, I am sure these recent hot temperatures are getting to everyone, I have to agree with you, lets all cool off here.

"America's #1 Conventional School Bus- Thomas/International."
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  12:55:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got a brand new dell I only had it for 2 weeks. It does take me quit some time to get through the first few pages. Otherwise I really like your site and I also like you pictures.

Let's just calm down this topic.

~BlueBird44~
Remember Bus Drivers play the most important role in a student's day.
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  3:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark, calling people "morons" on this forum is uncalled for. Believe me, I know. I used to call all fans of Blue Bird buses morons on here, and I've quit doing so a long time ago. It's time to lighten up. And that little bit that you call arrogance, was nothing more than honest opinion. I was not trying to be arrogant. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, it's right here below:

quote:
Speaking of that site.. I have some insight on how to make your site worth while (Not that I'm saying it isn't, this is just coming from someone who has considerable experience).

First off, your site has WAY too much Multimedia Flash animation.

I was not saying his site was a bad one. Never have said it was a bad site, and never will. I was just giving him insight on how to make it better, that's all. And quite frankly, I don't like being backstabbed. And that's what has happened here. The very first post I ever made about this topic was an insightful post that even Jeff thanked me for. But on my second post, I was blasted for complaining. I wasn't even complaining at all. And I don't know where Jeff thinks I e-mailed, him, because I haven't e-mailed him at all. I have all the saved messages in my inbox at my Yahoo! e-mail account dating back to mid May, and none of them are in regards to that site. Jeff, you might want to check, because my e-mail addresses are srosenow_98@yahoo.com, thetrafficsignalillustrator@yahoo.com, gilligcoaches@hotmail.com, and gilligbus25@hotmail.com Any other e-mail address with my name on it as far as this goes is a fake.

And granted, this may have gotten out of hand, Mark, but this is by far in a way the first nor the last arguement on this forum. I've been a member of SBF here for over a year, and I've started a few, participated in a few, and ended a few arguements (The infamous Gillig one of last year is still in fresh recall). That's what forums are for, to argue amongst each other, and to provide insight. It would've been better in my opinion for this to turn out like it has, rather than his first post receive no replies or feedback at all. If he didn't get any posts, then I'd be concerned.

Granted, I use flash on my site, but I don't build my entire site from it. I just simply wont. Sure, I like to see flashy things on websites, but when it comes to a school bus site, Flash is generally what cruise control is on a bus: an option, not a necessity. I'm sure Jeff site would've been fine if only he'd have reduced the amount or level of Flash animation. After all, SBF is a commercial site, and there's no Flash animation on it, now is there?

Macromedia Flash is a good thing, but when an entire website is built from it, it becomes an instant turn-off and most Search Engines simply will buypass them. Search engines rely on text to form search links and keywords for a search result. With Flash, there's no way to do it at all, unless you had a mile-long META tag.

Sure, technology won't slow down for anybody, but isn't it the least bit courteous to take into consideration the millions of users who still have Dialup internet connection? Or take into consideration the millions of users who still have outdated computers with slow processor speeds and small harddrives? The computer I use sure doesn't have enough space for Temporary Internet Files if a site is entirely built from Flash. I'd have to delete Temp. Internet Files multiple times per day, and do a disk cleanup to clear out any residuals. I'd rather be surfin' the web than performing constant housecleaning after a Flash-animated site leaves its junk in my PC's harddrive. And no, NBC shouldn't stop broadcasting in color (even though I hate NBC with a passion). But being that since B & W TVs are still being manufactured, FCC regulations require all networks and TV stations broadcast a B & W signal (BTW, the first TV station to broadcast color was KOMO TV 4 Seattle in 1957. I just thought I'd add that in, and they were ABC at the time).

Jeff, I don't think it'd be a good thing if you took your site down. It would be a disgrace to both you and school bus fans in general, because the other sites don't have the photos you have to offer. Please reconsider keeping it up. I'm sure it would succeed. I apologize that this has turned into such a big fuss, but you just took things way too seriously, that's all. I didn't mean any offense in any of my posts, and I sure as hell wasn't complaining. I was just stating facts.

Let's all calm down, take a deep breath, and pretend this never happened. (Well, I'm still waiting for Mark's input on my site)

Now I can control my OWN traffic - with my OWN 3M traffic signal!
Go to Top of Page

MarkGonyea

8 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  8:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone, please go visit the Yellow Limo website again and tell me if it is loading any quicker....

Mark Gonyea

Go to Top of Page

Bus Driver 0109

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  9:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't have a problem with it loading before. I miss the FLASHY....but what ever makes the others HAPPY

Brian

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  9:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Everyone, please go visit the Yellow Limo website again and tell me if it is loading any quicker....

Cute ...

Why even bother with the introduction page now, though?

Edited by - Buskid on 07/19/2002 10:06:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2002 :  9:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

It loads super fast on my end... on every page!

Thanks for trashing the intro... even though you could've just put a "Skip intro" link, but it works OK this way.

Thanks again!

---------------------

School bus gear, school bus pictures, school bus links, and more!

Check out http://www.schoolbuscentral.cjb.net
Go to Top of Page

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  07:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job!

Go to Top of Page

Bus Driver 0109

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  09:26:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark, looks like you made some people happy.

Brian

Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2002 :  10:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I personally think all of the website's look great! I think this as gone way out of control and maybe we need to support each other instead of bashing each other!

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  3:45:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm Back

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  4:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure who's using my name, but you need to find another one. Thank You!

Jeff Flatt
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  4:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm not sure who's using my name, but you need to find another one. Thank You!

Umm, I was just going to ask if you and "mr.magoo" were the same person, but I guess that answers my question. Just so you know, he put your name and other info. in his profile, Jeff.

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  5:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know who is using my screen name,and I hope they stop. I just read another quote, supposedly from me on another page posted today. I have been out of town for the past 4 days and just this afternoon checked back on the forum. It was then I realized there were 2 of me! As convenient as that would be for me I think one of me is enough!

Jeff Flatt
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  6:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are any of you that have bus websites planning some type of Back to School edition to your site in the upcoming months?

I'm trying to figure out what to do for August and September updates.

Jeff Flatt
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  6:38:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Are any of you that have bus websites planning some type of Back to School edition to your site in the upcoming months?

I hadn't really planned anything special other than giving my web page a little "facelift." I'll probably have that done by mid-August or early-September (at the latest).

I'm just going through and weeding out some older photos and rescanning some that didn't come out very well. I'll also be adding some new photos and giving the site a "new" look (same basic layout, different background colors, etc.).

Cool idea about the "back to school" theme, though.

Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  6:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I never really thought about doing anything like that. The most I thought of was resuming my normal updates in August. Maybe for September, I'll put up a little back to school reminder page or something like that. Thanks for the idea!

Ryan's School Bus Yard--www.busman49.com
RSBY gift shop--www.busman49.com/store.html
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  8:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just wondered what people were planning,I guess I'll just do the regular update. I'm actually looking forward to getting back to school.

Once the ball season and band season get going I'll be able to get all kind of bus photos for my updates. We go back on the 15th of August.

Jeff Flatt
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000