Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  4:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
November 30, 2006 - WXYZ, MI - Authorities at Whitmore Lake Schools and a worried mother were trying to figure out how a toddler was left on a school bus for nearly two hours, Thursday.

Tuesday morning Jennifer Herkness got a call from her three-year-old daughter’s preschool, Early Childhood Center, wondering why Christen wasn’t in school.

Herkness was surprised and worried because she had put Christen on the bus that morning.

Soon after that call district employees searched the bus Christen had been on and found her still strapped in her seat; she’d been there nearly two hours.

School Superintendent Scott Menzel said he can’t understand how both the bus driver and monitor overlooked her. He said both women were devastated and apologetic, but he had to let them go.

"It’s unimaginable to me. I can’t understand any reason why that would happen, so I don’t offer any explanation because I don’t think there is one that works," he said.

The district said they have put additional safeguards in place.

Herkness believes both the driver and monitor should face criminal charges and has filed a police report.

source

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  6:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by news

... Herkness believes both the driver and monitor should face criminal charges and has filed a police report. ...

Can the parent stir the soup any more than when making statements like that?

And the administrator involved does not seem to know to zip-it until finding out how it can be imagined something like this common event can happen. He's talking to the press, not to his wife in private at home.

AND TWO HOURS LEFT ALONE ON A SCHOOL BUS? I agree - unimaginable! How did that happened?

What additional safeguards? How does one make additional safeguards when he or she or they can’t understand any reason why it would happen in the first place?

Is someone now and in addition to the drivers and monitors checking the buses before permitted to park or secure those buses? Don't know - didn't say.

Remain most interested in hearing the story about those so-called additional safeguards.

Life is a bit too precious to be failing to post check the bus, as well as failing to have in place a system that can catch a missed post check before a child is left alone on the bus.

Sooner or later a death, a dreadful injury, or abduction is going to be the result.

There is zip in this story to indicate any so-called additional safeguards might, even as much as slightly, help prevent this event happening in the future at that facility. (jk)

Free 'post-check' image: Use free on memos, mini posters, flyer's, newsletters, training materials, websites, bus driver letterheads, in emails and promotions to the press. (Please do not link to graphic - download and save with right mouse click over graphic.)

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library
Post Check, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Edited by - JK on 11/30/2006 6:55:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sandra (Ennis) Nunn
Top Member

Canada
1180 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  6:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JK

quote:
Originally posted by news

... Herkness believes both the driver and monitor should face criminal charges and has filed a police report. ...

Can the soup be stirred any more than when making statements like that?

And the administrator involved does not seem to know to zip-it until finding out how it can be imagined something like this common event can happen. He's talking to the press, not to his wife in private at home.

Just to clarify. Herkness is the mother of the child.
(sn)

quote:
Jennifer Herkness got a call from her three-year-old daughter’s preschool, Early Childhood Center, wondering why Christen wasn’t in school.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  6:50:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandra (Ennis) Nunn

... Just to clarify. Herkness is the mother of the child.

Yes, I know. Perhaps placed the two main participants too close together causing some confusion. Updated the sentence.

One participant does seem to be feeding the other. Not a good situation in my opionion. (jk)

Post Check, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

Edited by - JK on 11/30/2006 6:57:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

william
Top Member

USA
1912 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  10:32:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see william's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
JK, I too believe that these two bozos should face criminal charges. I see they were fired and I don't think that they should ever be allowed to again place a baby in harm's way aboard a school bus. Can you imagine putting your three year old on a school bus and then being told that the child never made it to the school? I don't agree with the early childhood program anyway. A three year old child belongs at home with it's mother, not being babysat in some classroom by high-priced babysitters.

Don't tell me that these two bothered to check that bus, and it's amazing that the superintendent does not understand that. These two women devastated and apologetic? Give me a break. Save your crocodile tears for the next time you get into trouble.

I don't think that the super is neccessarily feeding this mother. If he felt compelled to say anything at all, I don't see how he could have said something appreciably different from what he stated. Then again, perhaps he's trying to be diplomatic in the face of this sorry event.

William
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  06:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by william

... Can you imagine putting your three year old on a school bus and then being told that the child never made it to the school? ...

No, because I can't imagine putting any of my six-children or 18-grandchildren on a school bus at that age. All my kids and grandchildren were home-schooled from birth until KG for some and first grade for others. Same approach was applied to my sister, my brothers and myself until first grade. Parents permitting Federal and State direct involvement in a child's education at that critical age lack wisdom, in my opinion. Children still need their family's direct involvement at any school age and by starting out forming education habits for both the child and the parent helps with that.

Have to go - will respond to the rest of the post later. (jk)

Free 'post-check' image: Use free on memos, mini posters, flyer's, newsletters, training materials, websites, bus driver letterheads, in emails and promotions to the press. (Please do not link to graphic - download and save with right mouse click over graphic.)

Edited by - JK on 12/01/2006 08:31:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sandra (Ennis) Nunn
Top Member

Canada
1180 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  08:34:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JK

quote:
Originally posted by william

... Can you imagine putting your three year old on a school bus and then being told that the child never made it to the school? ...

No, I can't imagine putting any of my six-children or 18-grandchildren at that age on a school bus. All my kids and grandchildren were home-schooled from birth until KG for some and first grade for others, including myself until first grade. Federal and State direct involvement in a child's education at that age is not wise, in my opinion. Children still need their family's direct involvement at any school age and by starting out forming education habits for both the child and the parent helps with that.

JK, I agree that the optimum environment for a very young child is at home being educated and cared for by a loving, nurturing parent. Unfortunately, that is not always possible in our society today. (sn)

Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  08:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder why it took two whole hours for the day care to call the parents? Two hours for them to notice?
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  10:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

JK, I agree that the optimum environment for a very young child is at home being educated and cared for by a loving, nurturing parent. Unfortunately, that is not always possible in our society today. (sn)

Unacceptable. Find a way - no mater what the excuse - find a way. The most dangerous time to have that level of involvement from government is during a child's earliest educational/social related development, which also directly affects parent's development of related habits at the very young age under discussion.

There is an incredible amount of home-based educational tools and services available these days, far more than when myself a child.

Well, sort of - perhaps a different approach was used back then to help accomplish the same thing.

I come from a relatively poor upbringing – financial-wise. State welfare was considered evil by most people in those days - my parents would have no part in the Welfare Service that exists these days, let alone back when. Where needed neighbors helped each other out in those days. And there was the church.

Even though relatively poor, by standards back then, yet by age-3 had boxes and boxes of books, including three full sets of encyclopedias. My mom said she thinks we kids could read before we could speak. It took until about the fifth-grade for public education to de-educate me enough to where I could be taught by the public education system.

Children's minds crave learning. About the only way to interfere with that natural skill is to restrain their progress though distraction or immediate gratification of some sort.

Most of my toys were hand-made by me with my Dad and Mom, Granddad or a Neighbor helping. I had most any toy I wanted, as long as I was willing to build it myself and with some help where necessary. I did get some manufactured toys, some of which my dad disassembled and we then had to put them together before I could enjoy them.

My favorite toy at about age four or so was an Erector Set - a huge Erector Set with all sorts of accessories. My first experience into the invisible world included a home microscope. Looked at the moon and the stars with a homemade Telescope. Learned how to milk a cow, make butter, make cheese, make ice cream and all sorts of other stuff, including how to make wine and beer in my teen years. My first radio was put together by me. My first privately owned phone system was built by my buddies and me - a hard-wire party-line phone connected to three bedrooms about a quarter of a mile from each other. My first bike came unassembled. My first soap box coaster was built by me and my best buddy. The first coaster that held together after one trip down a steep hill was built by my best buddy my older brother and me. My first automobile legally purchased came with no engine. My fisrt chemistry set helped me and my best friend learn how to make rockets and exploding fireworks for our own 4th of July extravaganza. My first rifle came with the gun sight removed. A TV repairman, along with giving me a repair book and dilapidated volt-meter, also gave me my first TV (A B&W). And so I repaired my first TV before I could watch it - about age 13 or 14. (The repairman made it easy - he had sabotaged the set with two bad tubes and a loose wire. Found them all.) My first color TV purchased in the late sixties was modified by me to include an impedance adjusted audio output - sounded incredible when hooked up to a stereo system not built by me. And using a book that explained how to do it then built my first computer.

It is irresponsible for a parent to allow their child and oneself to think that kids must have the bureaucracy providing everything in order for a child to learn. Learning begins out of the womb, and too many parents have no idea how to feed their children effective learning experiences so that they can learn to love to learn.

What happens, too often in my opinion, is that kids are sent away because that is what is most convenient, instantly gratifying, and provides children the distractions too many parents no longer know how to provide.

And it is so simple to do, to teach, and even when involving many of the kids that have actual learning disabilities. However, too many kids these days, in my opinion, have acquired artificial learning disabilities, which began the first day they started learning in a government run public education system.

At that critical age my advice is to keep government at arms length and away from the children. Form a home schooling plan, a parent agreed block system or some other parent direct involvement process that keeps kids in close contact with their home environment and their family culture.

For those home environments that are actually dysfunctional, deal with that dysfunction and not by adding to it by taking over the responsibilities all parents have to help their children become useful and productive community citizens by the time they attend public school. The bureaucracy does not know how to teach those necessary attributes. They think they do, but are wrong. They do not realize they can not replace Mom and Dad in these matters. But the special interests know exactly what they are doing.

Public education does have a useful purpose, provided the system sticks to basic academics and away from social indoctrination strategies the bureaucracies find themselves feeding kids these days.

I realize that there are important issues involved here. Regardless, the answer should be obvious that government and special interests in charge of what kids learn at such a tender age, and taking over parent responsibilities, even providing parents all the wrong habits out the gate, can eventually lead to some of the most dangerous outcomes imaginable. By the teen years such parents can end up with strangers living in their homes.

Far better for parents to be directly involved with their child's early involvement in education rather than apart from it. The best teachers know this.

I believe that without question were the politics and special interest distractions removed from public education, most kids could graduate the 12th grade by the current 8th grade with legitimate credentials.

To begin the process to so-called excellerated learning the new parent need simply start reading to their new baby a few minutes each day. The rest follows when the time is right. (jk)

Make your own Coaster Car.

Edited by - JK on 12/01/2006 12:06:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  11:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Most families today require both mother AND father work to bring home a pay-check. I live in MA where the average single family home is around $400-500,000 (not necessarily all parts of MA). Many apartments have rent that is often times more than a mortgage. Many families REQUIRE both parents to work so they can pay for the mortgage, put food on the table and put clothes on their children's back. So often times in today's society, families NEED to place their kids in early child care programs.

Comparing your upbringing to today is comparing apples and oranges. The generational gap is FAR to large to hold any ground. Every new year is filled with new technological advancements, government sanctioned programs, and an extremely fast paced culture we live in today. I can't even compare my own upbringing to today's kids. I too had legos and erector sets, lincoln logs and puzzles. Today, the only toy you see in almost every kid's possession is a Playstation or XBox, and even a computer.

New programs today are designed for all age groups. Extra-curricular activities to keep kids out of gangs and drugs. After school child care programs to allow parents to work to provide for their families. You can almost go shopping for schools today too. Parents can choose to send their kids to public schools, private schools, catholic schools or home-schooled. I bet your parents did have that choice James. I'm not saying the programs are fool proof, or that early schooling is fool-proof. But I certainly don't believe its provided so parents can pawn off their kids on the government.

But back on subject, I'm not sure the driver and monitor committed any type of crime or felony worthy of being prosecuted. I think the punishment they got, they deserved. If a child is on a bus still seat belted in - there's NO way you can miss that if you are checking your bus. So, not only did they not check their bus, they LIED about it too.

- Ryan

Edited by - Lords47 on 12/01/2006 11:23:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  11:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lords47

Comparing your upbringing to today is comparing apples and oranges.

Rubbish.

It's about what is most important when deciding to bring a child into the world. A $400,000.00 house, two new cars and other fancy adult toys are not nearly as important as time spent with the kids. Today is one of convenience and immediate gratification. And kids, much more like raising pets rather than children - pets that soon can turn on their providers when not knowing who their providers actually are. Who are their providers and their counselors? Government - or their parents?

The kids have not changed - only the adults have.

And, Yes, of course. So long as parents can choose to send their kids to public schools, private schools, catholic schools or home-schooled, just like my parents, myself, and my kids could choose, then they can also choose to do what helps children become contributors rather than takers – to think about their neighbor too rather than just about themselves - and to have purpose rather than a craving for instant gratification that can not ever be satisfied. Not ever. (jk)

Edited by - JK on 12/01/2006 11:57:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  11:47:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Who said anything about 2 new cars or fancy toys? I didn't write that anywhere. Don't put words in my mouth. Why is it don't you take criticism? I didn't agree with some of your views? Did I call it rubbish? Absolutely not. You are incapable of having a 2 way conversation James.

The world is changing, the economy is changing. The pace of business is changing. Most of us realize this and recognize we live in a high-tech society, not some farm house churning butter. Today, businesses operate on an international basis through fiber optics, internet, wireless technology. None of those ideas were even conceivable when you were little. The way you were brought up holds no value in today's society, yet you insult the hard working public, many on this site who have kids, by saying they treat their kids as a common household pet by enrollling them in day care so they can bring home a pay-check?!?!?!?!?!

- Ryan

Edited by - Lords47 on 12/01/2006 11:54:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who said anything about 2 new cars or fancy toys? I didn't write that anywhere.

You did not have too. Pack up the family for a trip to houses around town. Might be educational for the kids and adults in your car.

And because I consider some of your post rubbish does not seem to interfere with your ability to respond. Prove your point. Show me the right path you believe to be the best path for children and our economy.

Is a $400,000.00 house and two jobs to pay for it more important than time spent with the kids during their critical years? (jk)

Edited by - JK on 12/01/2006 12:19:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

... New programs today are designed for all age groups. Extra-curricular activities to keep kids out of gangs and drugs.

Wanted to answer this one separately.

New programs? Are you kidding?

Neighborhood supervision of children has been around for nearly as long as children have existed.

The kids have not changed - the adults have. (jk)

Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A $400,000 house doesn't get you much around here. THAT was my point. Its not some high end house with a pool and spa, its your BASIC house. And seeing as how I drive by the areas i'm thinking of on a regular basis, you have your basic minivan and sedan parked in the driveway. We're not talking BMW's or Mercedes.

I work with people, people who are VERY dear friends, who work 2 and 3 jobs to be able to support their family. They have NO CHOICE but to enroll their kids in early enrollment. Their kids are nothing respectful and curteous. Some have learning disabilities (autism) that require professionals to HELP the family.

You're way is not the only way James. If it works for you, then so be it. But fortunately, we're not at all like you.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Sandra (Ennis) Nunn
Top Member

Canada
1180 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

But back on subject, I'm not sure the driver and monitor committed any type of crime or felony worthy of being prosecuted.

In Ontario, Canada, it is a provincial offence to leave young children unattended.

Mom charged for leaving children unattended

CTV Toronto, Tue. Nov. 28 2006 - A Toronto mother is facing charges after her five children (ranging in age from "4 months to 7 years old" according to Toronto Star) were reportedly found sitting alone in a car that was parked outside a shopping mall.

The children were unharmed. They had allegedly been left alone in the vehicle for between 45 and 90 minutes around 8 p.m. while the mother was Christmas shopping inside the mall.

The 26-year-old mother has been charged with leaving a child unattended, a provincial offence under the Child and Family Services Act. She is scheduled to appear in court in January, but a specific date has not been determined.

The maximum penalty for leaving a child unattended under the act is a $1,000 fine, imprisonment up to one year or both.

click for full story

PS: the original story has been updated - both parents have now been charged. (sn)

Edited by - Sandra (Ennis) Nunn on 12/01/2006 12:18:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sandra for the article.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Sandra (Ennis) Nunn
Top Member

Canada
1180 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Sandra for the article.

You're very welcome. I don't know what similar laws might exist in other provinces and states though...
(sn)
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

... They have NO CHOICE but to enroll their kids in early enrollment. Their kids are [] respectful and curteous. Some have learning disabilities (autism) that require professionals to HELP the family.

You're way is not the only way James. If it works for you, then so be it. But fortunately, we're not at all like you.

There is always a choice, including moving to another area of the country.

Yes, it seems to work for others and me as well. And hopefully, it can continue to work for my generations to come, including any of my grandkids and beyond that have some sort of disability.

First things first were part of my mom and dad's character. I can hold none of that thinking against them, perhaps was even a blessing.

Took a long time to put some of those toys together. And when having to assemble my toys seemed to take better care of them for some reason. Learned much from my mom and dad and neighbors that helped when needed. Can't find anything unfortunate about that.

And the few minutes time reading to me when I was a baby. Didn’t seem that unfortunate for anybody back then. Is something different these days?

Not in the kids. (jk)

Edited by - JK on 12/01/2006 12:53:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And the few minutes time reading to me when I was a baby. Didn’t seem that unfortunate for anybody back then

I mean zero disrespect, but those 2 sentences make no sense. You tend to leave out nouns and proverbs and write incomplete sentences quite often. For the benefit of us, please do a grammatical check before posting. Thank you.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The children were unharmed.

Forgive me if it seems that I think such laws are offensive and without merit. Nine out of ten children drown while supervised. Warn? Yes. Even fines if repeated, but do not overstep. Parents screw up, and when the result does not result in harm done sometimes that and perhaps a scolding is more than sufficient for most to get back on track. When not, then go ahead with some other intervention. (jk)

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
And the few minutes time reading to me when I was a baby. Didn’t seem that unfortunate for anybody back then

I mean zero disrespect, but those 2 sentences make no sense. You tend to leave out nouns and proverbs and write incomplete sentences quite often. For the benefit of us, please do a grammatical check before posting. Thank you.

That's it? That's your response? A grammer check? But no disrespect intended?

You are a strange fellow - sometimes to [too] strange. (jk)

Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How do you expect a response when your posts are written like a third grader? You SEEM educated, yet your writing skills are atrocious.

- Ryan

Edited by - Lords47 on 12/01/2006 12:53:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

How do you expect a response when your posts are written like a third grader? You SEEM educated, yet your writing skills are atrocious.

You seem fixated right now on the irrelevant in these forums. Regardless, please feel free to quietly edit away and within the privacy of your own computer. I'll get by with my posts and any others that do not meet your standard when you seem to have nothing else to contribute to an actual issue. HaVE A nisE daay. (jk)

Edited by - JK on 12/01/2006 1:13:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  2:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I find it fascinating and hypocritical that you can sit here and boast about how you could read before you could speak and how great you were home schooled... yet you cannot write an intelligent, well structured sentence. It's hard to have an adult conversation with you when it takes so long to try to unscramble what it is you're saying. I didn't know it was strange of me to like to read well-constructed arguments. Silly me. Shame on the rest of us.

For the rest of us educated ones, the article Sandra posted got me to remember some incidents that happened around the country not too long ago. I've read several stories where a parent went into a mall and left their child in the car during the dog days of summer. They assumed the child would be ok if they cracked the window. However, the child died. Another father forgot his child was in the car and went to work ALL day during the summer. He came out, and discovered his child had died. It would not be outlandish for something like this to occur in a school bus should the driver, monitor, or whatever sort of system is in place... FAILS. I should hope that such a tragic mishap not occur, however, I fear that such an occurrence is what it would take to really get drivers to understand the absolute importance of checking our buses each and every day.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  2:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I find it fascinating and hypocritical that you can sit here and boast about how you could read before you could speak and how great you were home schooled... yet you cannot write an intelligent, well structured sentence. It's hard to have an adult conversation with you when it takes so long to try to unscramble what it is you're saying. I didn't know it was strange of me to like to read well-constructed arguments. Silly me. Shame on the rest of us.

Still at it, eh?

Shame on you for attempting to blame home schooling for any inability on my part. I was public schooled, not home schooled. 1-12 and beyond, every step of the way.

In middle school was introduced to a new spelling concept. By high school could not spell at all, had gotten worse, not better. A classroom of students, including me had been introduced to public education's finest - a fancy bureaucrat’s concept in sight-spelling and then other adventurous concepts that was supposed to make us super-spellers. Did the exact opposite, made us all horrible spellers. But we were all given great grades to cover that tiny mistake.

Some of us can spell these days, mostly due to personal time with phonics training and the time to flush out the crap sight-spelling techniques had embedded in our young minds. Still interferes on occasion. The spelling issue remains a topic at school reunions.

My kids can spell like champs. Of course they have private instruction, phonics and computer help prior to ever attending a public school. And my niece that was home schooled from seventh grade on - flunking in middle school, yet, went to college at sixteen and now holds two degrees and a very well paying job in the computer graphics industry. Fancy that. She has no need of two incomes. One does just fine and then some. And my daughters all are at home with their kids during the day. Both own very expensive homes and without the need of a second income. My grandchildren received plenty of home instruction in addition to public schooling and college. But their parents were also careful with budgets, investments and husband selection.

Public education is an excellent method of teaching children. And will be even better when the politics and special interests no longer have any influence in our public schools. Bound to happen sooner than later since money thrown at public education has not worked and the Internet is becoming a most effective and economical way to teach children. Most two-income parents really can get by now days with a taskmaster baby-sitter to keep a closed home campus until mom or dad gets home. No need for the public school in its current form or school buses for that matter.

For the rich and not so rich remains private schooling, the education approach most schoolteachers prefer their children attending these days, especially in the bigger cities. Is that perhaps something you were not aware of?

Times are changing - at least in this part of the woods. (jk)

Edited by - JK on 12/01/2006 2:47:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  3:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
For the rich and not so rich remains private schooling, the education approach most schoolteachers prefer their children attending these days, especially in the bigger cities. Is that perhaps something you were not aware of?

It is something i'm VERY aware of, since I am a product of private schooling. I excelled in almost every subject and graduated with a healthy GPA. What would you like to know?

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  4:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is this all about.

As far as I am concerned, both parents working is already asking for lack of parenting skills and social development for a child. As with JK, I don't agree with child care with starngers or even friends of the family. Too much statistical data, much of JK already touched on, has been prooven.

Maybe in your state homes are worth $400,000, but not here unless you choose to live in a nicer neighborhood. The key word is choose- meaning you have the option to move if you are not happy or satisfied with the standard of living.

Why knock someone for their grammar on here- this is simply a school bus forum. I am college educated and I tell you what, at elast one word in every sentence of mine is spelled wrong. This is just a forum, I could care less if I miss some grammar. My gosh, all this on a school bus forum.

Go to Top of Page

Sandra (Ennis) Nunn
Top Member

Canada
1180 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  5:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JK

quote:

"Unacceptable. Find a way - no mater what the excuse - find a way."

"What happens, too often in my opinion, is that kids are sent away because that is what is most convenient, instantly gratifying, and provides children the distractions too many parents no longer know how to provide."
(jk)

James, I respect your opinion, but as I said, I agree that the optimum environment for a very young child is at home being educated and cared for by a loving, nurturing parent. Unfortunately, that is not always possible in our society today.
(sn)

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  5:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote] ... What would you like to know?

About what? Your credentials? My college was public, my technical was private, and both were excellent resources for the fields I have interest in.

Too many college grads can't adapt to real life. And some forty-percent are in mediocre non-management positions. Most any bus driver here is as smart or smarter then about half the grads with their pieces of paper.

Regardless, there certainty remain plenty that applied themselves and that are a blessing to our communities, college grads or not.

(If you want to continue this silly topic would suggest we go to an education forum rather than embarrassing ourselves before our fellows here with this credentials crap. You go ahead, I'll follow along in a bit. )

Kids are at their natural best when under the wing of mom and dad's influence, even when I may adamantly disagree with some parents’ cultures. I would rather a child be home with his or her mom during the early years or at least with a grandparent, much more so than at large at a so-called day learning center.

There are excellent learning centers, and I'm not totally against preschooler education centers ... AS A SUPPLEMENT ... not as a mainstay.

It is simply that I remember the greatest days in my young life, a multitude of first discoveries. No one in my early years had the power and influence that my mom and dad did just by being present and available to notice what I'd discovered in the moment, soon passing.

Perhaps there are other resources, and perhaps their are no other choices. I'm not debating that. I'm saying when ever possible try your best to do for your own first - first things first - and when that is well under way buy whatever adult toys you want for yourself. And don't forget something your neighbor might need. (jk)

"Knowledge is Power, provided you have it, based on hard data." -- College Education Report, by Michael Hodges.)

Edited by - JK on 12/01/2006 7:52:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  7:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Why knock someone for their grammar on here- this is simply a school bus forum. I am college educated and I tell you what, at elast one word in every sentence of mine is spelled wrong. This is just a forum, I could care less if I miss some grammar. My gosh, all this on a school bus forum.

I'm not "knocking" James for his grammar, I'm asking him to proof read because many of his posts are not very clear and are hard to follow because of it. I'm not asking for an award winning essay, just for him to proof-read his posts before he hits the little submit button.

I, as well as many others, CHOOSE to live here, not because of real estate values, but because of the many opportunities around here. There is an overwhelming number of businesses that one can make an excellent career at that is capable of supporting a family. For example, I work for the Navy. I would not be able to relocate to Kansas with the same type of job. If I was a full time bus driver, that would be a different story.

Around here, its a luxury to be able to stay home with your child and home school. When I have kids, I would love to stay home with them and watch them grow and never miss a step. But IF i did, I would not be able to provide for them like every parent wants to. So by my argument and Sandra's argument, its not always an option like it may be where you live.

quote:
Oringinally posted by JK
Perhaps there are other resourses, and perhaps their are no other choices. I'm not debating that. I'm saying when ever possible try your best to do for your own first - first things first - and when that is well under way buy whatever adult toys you want for yourself. (jk)

Oh-my-god, I agree with you. Enough said.

Care to go back to the subject of the thread?

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  7:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

... I agree that the optimum environment for a very young child is at home being educated and cared for by a loving, nurturing parent. Unfortunately, that is not always possible in our society today.
(sn)

Perhaps, yet, how often is it readily possible and yet too inconvenient? And sometimes it is not about the money. (jk)

Cost of being a stay-at-home mom: $1 million (but after expenses and taxes is less than $3.00 per hour.) Can you scrimp and save enough to cover that cost? It won't be easy, but there's a lot of help available for those who try. Here are 5 tips to get you started.

Edited by - JK on 12/01/2006 7:44:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  7:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay... This has got to stop, because I can tell you right now, that I can go through these forums and find tens of thousands gramoticalay errars. Including some that i have made, including some that you have made as weell (unnamed). Would you like me to point them out?

Could easily.

Obviously I made, on purpose, errors above. I was once attacked on here for some of my mispelled words/grammar, but sometimes you just don't feel like putting your writing through spell check. If you get the point- move on.

There are schools around here in MA and in other states -that board children all year. Parents see the kids once or twice every month. What kind of upbringing is that?

No wonder why children are not being raised correctly, their parents aren't able to support them. Send them off to day care-all day schools-all week schools- go to work and thats it.

and you'll have to excuse any grammar errors, i'm not running this through spell check.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 12/01/2006 7:35:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  7:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote] Care to go back to the subject of the thread?

Not just yet. The perfect job for a stay-at-home-mom is that of a school bus driver, in my opinion. One of the reasons I believe so many moms say no to this profession is the recent years escalating over regulation, over bureaucratizing, unsafe environments for children and hostile workplaces for moms, and an escalation of negative press has discouraged those that actually would otherwise be available.

A major step toward ending this so-called shortage is restoring the school bus driver to the once honorable post in the community the position once was. Restore the school bus to a calm, safe place for children and a non-hostile workplace for adults.

And dump that blasted CDL requirement – has no place now in this industry, if perhaps it ever did.

There, I'm ready to go back to the main topic. (jk)

Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  7:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Not just yet. The perfect job for a stay-at-home-mom is that of a school bus driver, in my opinion

We agree again???? WOW! However, if my sister gets behind the wheel of a bus, you better clear the road! Though mom's driving a bus is a good way to both work AND spend time with your kids, its not for everyone, nor would it support a household.

Amtran - year round boarding is an extreme condition that is fairly uncommon when compared to the mass population.

And if we can all have intelligent conversations back and fourth about a variety of topics from educated people, why is it so much to ask for complete, structured sentences? Isn't it something we learned at an early age??? I didn't think I was asking for the world or anything.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  8:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Not just yet. The perfect job for a stay-at-home-mom is that of a school bus driver, in my opinion

We agree again???? WOW! However, if my sister gets behind the wheel of a bus, you better clear the road! Though mom's driving a bus is a good way to both work AND spend time with your kids, its not for everyone, nor would it support a household.

Amtran - year round boarding is an extreme condition that is fairly uncommon when compared to the mass population.

And if we can all have intelligent conversations back and fourth about a variety of topics from educated people, why is it so much to ask for complete, structured sentences? Isn't it something we learned at an early age??? I didn't think I was asking for the world or anything.

Do you know how many papers I have to write around this time of the year for final exams / final papers, that I am sick of writing complete structured sentences!!!!!! You'll have to forgive me if I don't write complete sentences and even if i mispell.

I've got 10 papers to crank out in two weeks. Will get an A in the class(es), but you get the point. And, no, it is not that uncommon for all day boarding class. You would be very surprised. I could email you a list of schools, you would be a bit surprised.

And somehow my other post went away when I posted this one- I will try to rewrite it later.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 12/01/2006 8:06:29 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000