Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Cluster problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stewyk

20 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  6:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit stewyk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys and gals. I have a 04 INT 3800 that has the three circuit boards in the instrument cluster. I need the center board and the dealer here wants $450 for it. I took it apart and found 5 prongs on the plug socket that had cracks in the solder. I resolderd them but still can not get it to work on its own. If I reach under the dash and push it to the side it works OK. I did tighten the female connectors and still does not work by itself. If anyone knows where I can get a good used one or a cheaper new one let me know please. Thanks stewy.

Harrison Fire

United States
175 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  08:21:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have replaced the circuit on a newer dash. Got it from A Parts Warehouse. (Yer welcome, Mike) (Call them)
I cost much less for the repair part vs a new dash and it was simple to do.
http://www.apartswarehouse.com/

Searched the web and found what I snipped below. There are ways to make them right. And you get to keep your odometer.
HF

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8425

Hmmm, the old International instrument cluster problem. I worked for International for 6 years and lost count on how many instrument clusters I replaced in just the first month. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, DO NOT BUY A NEW INSTRUMENT CLUSTER!!!! It is unneeded and a waste of money. Grab pen and paper and write this down: Richard Pheffer (deceased). He rebuilds instrument clusters and gurantee's his work. I have used him for years and have never had a problem with his work. He completly rebuild's/overhaul's your instrument cluster and in my opinion after his rebuilds I never have a problem with them again. Vehicles I have replaced with new ones have had problems in less than 2 or 3 years but I have vehicles running around with clusters that were rebuilt by him and have been in use for 6-7 years with no problems. And best of all he is a hell of alot cheaper than a new one from the dealer.

My Fleet? (6) 93/99 IH 3800 Thomas and Blue Bird, Hydraulic Brakes, Manual and Auto Trans, (10) 00/06 FS65 Thomas Air Brake and Auto Trans, (2) 06 C2 Thomas and (2) 09/10 IC CE 300, Plus 3 more from another District
Go to Top of Page

stewyk

20 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  08:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit stewyk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info but I'm sorry to inform you that Richard Pheffer has passed away. I will try "A Parts Warehouse" for a quote. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

stewyk

20 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  09:13:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit stewyk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know what years diff. clusters will fit. I know from experaince that one cluster will fit many diff things, ie "99"-"02",3600-3800, and trucks. This will help also in finding what I need. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

LPSMECH

90 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  1:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you re-solder ALL prongs or the 5 you found? Do them all.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

stewyk

20 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  10:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit stewyk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am going to check all connections on the board this weekend. I will let yall know how it works Tue. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  05:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Stewyk, I put a new one in and cracked the circuit when I installed the connector. I can "wiggle test" the green connector and everything starts working. Kind of fragile for a circuitboard, either that or I just don't have my touch anymore :)

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

stewyk

20 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  04:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit stewyk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well guys and gals I have totally went through the board with a fine tooth comb and resolderd all connections that had any cracks. I did some research and mid 99 and up clusters are the same electronically. Does anybody have a schamitc of the wires on the back. I did take out the wires in the plug one at a time but may have put one back in the wrong spot. Any help would be great. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

stewyk

20 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  6:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit stewyk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I found my problem. Doing alot of research found out that the same circuit board is used in the mid 99 through 08 models so while looking at a 99 found that I had one wire miss placed when cleaning wires. Put it back like it is to be and all works great. Thanks for all your help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000