Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BusBoy 1
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  07:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again.
I need some help ! We have 4 IH buses 2-92's 1-93 and 96 all 3800sieres thomas They all have the same instument panels they have all developed problem. The problem starts with the dash lights flickering on and off over time more and more until they will only work if its cold in the bus.also the volt gauge start to act up will stay down bounce back and forth tapping on the dash will sometimes make it go up . I finally intalled my a seperate volt gauge.
Now I have 1 of them that the speedo and tach only work half the time.
I have come to the conclusion it is the printed circiut board but they are about $600 s0 I want to be sure anyone had this problem?
Any help on this would be great!! THANKS

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  11:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to worry, you aren't alone!

You might try searching for a post I made somewhere in the long-ago titled "Early 3800 Dashboards". There were some awesome replies posted there that helped me out tremendously.

Be warned however, there are lots of folks who have had to shell out those big bucks for new dashboards when all the home-remedies finally gave out. I've had to buy six new ones in the last two years. It starts with lighting, volt meter and finally the speedo and tach go nuts...just like you describe!
Go to Top of Page

busmech67@aol.com

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  12:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you're going to have to replace the whole dash cluster.Only takes 5 minutes.After this started to happen & people started buying them IHC raised their price another $200.00,nice huh? You're going to get alot of Mickey Mouse replies,but this is the fastest & keeps the bus on the road making money.The new cluster has better to read gauges also.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  1:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by busmech67@aol.com

you're going to have to replace the whole dash cluster.Only takes 5 minutes.After this started to happen & people started buying them IHC raised their price another $200.00,nice huh? You're going to get alot of Mickey Mouse replies,but this is the fastest & keeps the bus on the road making money.The new cluster has better to read gauges also.

It is one thing that the original dash board has problems, all companies experience problems with different things at one time or another, it's pretty damn sad when a lot of people start replacing them because they aren't working and they raise the price of them $200! International may make a great chassis, but they are just like the rest of the big business companies out there, they will do anything to make a few extra bucks.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  4:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have heard a lot of people are having problems with the 3700 and 3800 instument panels.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  4:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't get any ideas about using the old cluster for baseball practice or a smash it with a hammer as a stress-reliever...there is a core on those things! Even the old style that they have no use for.
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy 1
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  7:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey how are we all doing! Just an update for ya all I just ordered my first dash board today I was impessed it was only $530 I don't know if the price went down or what but that was great!
Thank all for your help it was greatly apprecated.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  08:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have had great success re-soldering the connector pins. Takes about 20 minutes, so it's like making $600/hour!

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  4:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy to spend only $530 on a dash cluster? Its another Navistar disgrace. If they had any scrupples they would have replaced these free. Pure trash and then they have the nerve to want the core back so you cant even reuse the guages. They should be returned in a box full of horse manure. Unless we find a way to band together and demand reasonable service life then they will continue to treat us this way. Maybe we have to report all these problem to the NHTSA to get ant action.
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy 1
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  7:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I should refraze Being happy to spend $530 I was happy it wasn't $630 I was kinda mad about the core charge too! think the horse manure idea is great I might beable to round up something to send back with the dash. thanks for the tip!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  8:02:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A comment for Joe Hartnett, in reference to my long-ago post mentioned above...

Thanks to your guidance...four of the nine original 3800 dashboards that I was then having trouble with are still in thier respective buses and functioning like they were on day one. An additional two that later went nuts also. Grand total savings for my poor school district = $3900.00

The others that had to be replaced just plain went and flopped on us, but they did make it another year or two after the resoldering.

People may poke fun at us attempting to repair these things, but some of us cannot afford that $650.00(last time I bought one). And my buses are PROOF that it does work!

Thanks!

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 06/24/2004 8:05:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy 1
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2004 :  7:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny thing happened today I just ordered the new dash yesterday and I thought I had some time on the other one's! But I took one of the other buses out for a test drive after doing brakes and new tires all four 92 IH by the way looked down and my tach and speedo not working a little later it would bounce up sometimes.
I don't want to burn my budget up this quick our school fiscal yr ends in june new budget starts in july. I already turned in huge bills for tires and some big repair already to be paid in july.
So the point of my rattled on story is I'm going to try the soldering idea on this bus and see how it works.
thanks for the tips on fixing them.
Go to Top of Page

flyboy

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  06:16:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit flyboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Boy could I tell you stories about IH dash clusters! We have already replaced more than 16 of them at $600.00 per.IH knows there is a problem but they ain't doin nuthin about it. I suggest you start screaming at customer service or your local field rep. Also there is a core charge on most of the old units so make sure you are getting your money back by giving them your core.The field fixes didn't help you gotta replace the cluster cause there is a problem in the internal circuitry. Be sure to get the right cluster too, they are very specific to the vehicle. the wrong one won't work right either. Give the parts guy the VIN and he can look up the right replacement cluster.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  08:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The EARLY clusters are completely repairable. Every time, the problem is a bad solder joint under the connector well on the RH side of the dash. Sometimes one, often two or three contacts are not completely soldered, or the solder has broken away from the pin.

This DOES NOT apply to the '94 up clusters, but only to the older ones with the small gauges.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy 1
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  06:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last week I took the dash out of a 92 IH soildered all the pins on the connecters works like new I don't know if it will last but costs nothing more then a little time.
Altough I work on salery may be costly for hourly wage or bus company owner. But thank you for all the help!!
Go to Top of Page

Craig Thoricht

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  03:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with dashboard problems. My problems aren't with Navistar dashboards, however. My problems are with VDO dashboards that were put into Bluebird trtansits in 1999 and 2000.
The troubles are false low oil pressure alarms when there is no low oil pressure problem.
Blue bird has now declared thes dash's to be "obsolete" and they must be programmed at a dealer and the cost for the part is $800.00. There is no core charge. That is really painful.
Thank God we only have 6 of these buses.

Has anyone come up with a quick fix for these? Bluebird came up with a field fix to rewire the electronic ground for the dashboard but one of my buses will not be "fixed."

Any thoughts are welcome.

Craig Thoricht
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy 1
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  7:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well just an update the dash I took apart soldered all the pins has been working with absolutly no problems for a little over 3 weeks the driver is quite happy to see her dash in the dark again. The one We spent 520 dollers on is working great also the new one is a much nicer design then the old ones.
Go to Top of Page

contactbluebird

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  05:26:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit contactbluebird's Homepage  Click to see contactbluebird's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I am having problems with all my 1998 and 1999 3800 dash boards working only when they want to. Any suggestions will be helpful.
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Dieselmech

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  09:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dieselmech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, the old International instrument cluster problem. I worked for International for 6 years and lost count on how many instrument clusters I replaced in just the first month. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, DO NOT BUY A NEW INSTRUMENT CLUSTER!!!! It is unneeded and a waste of money. Grab pen and paper and write this down: Richard Pheffer (deceased). He rebuilds instrument clusters and gurantee's his work. I have used him for years and have never had a problem with his work. He completly rebuild's/overhaul's your instrument cluster and in my opinion after his rebuilds I never have a problem with them again. Vehicles I have replaced with new ones have had problems in less than 2 or 3 years but I have vehicles running around with clusters that were rebuilt by him and have been in use for 6-7 years with no problems. And best of all he is a hell of alot cheaper than a new one from the dealer.
Go to Top of Page

contactbluebird

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  09:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit contactbluebird's Homepage  Click to see contactbluebird's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information.
Go to Top of Page

wmah

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  10:36:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit wmah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I resoldered our 2 international 3400's (eldorado bus bodys)
1 each 2000 and 2001

The 2000 only put on around 3000 miles last year or at least that is what registered on it. We have now put on at least 2000 in the last month since resoldering the contacts on the back. The 2001 was just starting to have the lights flicker.
Thanks to those above who mentioned resoldering the contacts on them, it saved us having to buy 2 new ones.

Edited by - wmah on 10/29/2005 10:40:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy 1
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  11:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All
The 1 bus that I resolder now has 17,484 miles and is still working great . Not as easy a fix as replaceing But sure buys alot of time and saves money.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000