No longer in the bus business....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  08:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have taken a job with the largest manufacturer of medium trucks, engines and busses in the world.

I start next Monday.

I can HARDLY WAIT!

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  08:20:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Mod!

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  11:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congradulations. What is the company name, if you don't mind my curiosity?
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  12:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope it works out for you, good luck. Sounds like International.
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy 1
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  2:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Mod Mech !!
Hope the new venture works out great for ya. Hope you will still visit with us on the forum! GOOD LUCK
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  3:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats! I wish you good luck with your new job.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  4:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Will you still be sticking around? You always have good advice.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  4:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the new job, Mod Mech. That's great news!

I enjoy reading your posts here in the SBF Forums. Let us know how you like your new position when you get settled!
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  5:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Best of luck to you in in your next endeavor!

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

CrownBus1
Top Member

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  7:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with your new job!

Bus 1
1985 Crown
Go to Top of Page

ThomasER0005
Top Member

USA
576 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  10:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish you well on your new job ModMech and have fun.

Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  08:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes,

I will stay around, and depending on the corporate policies, I may even be able to offer some REAL help with some of the problems we are facing. Most likely it will have to be "unofficial" however.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  09:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have fun at your new Job and Good LUCK!

Tyler Roys Weatherman and International Fan,

http://www.freewebs.com/thectschoolbusyard
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  1:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tulsa? We'll miss your good sense.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  2:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations and good luck!!!

Glad to hear you'll still be around!
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  06:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good for you ModMech! Whatever company it is you're going to is sure lucky to have youCongratulations on your new job. Glad to hear you'll be sticking around here as well. Your advise is always helpful and insightful. Good luck at the new job
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  08:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks!

I can hardly wait to start putting those 4 years of college to work in a PROFESSIONAL work environment, and be able to get a *little* dirty in the process :D.

I just hope I can make a REAL contribution to the product at some point, and it is never too early.

I will say two things for myself.... Those "ears" on the rear spring hangers that the cotter pins run thru (instead of the rebound pin "boss"), that's my suggestion. Also the tube-nuts on the caliper end of the brake hoses. I cannot believe they NEVER got one letter on that until mine! My wrists still hurt from all those rear caliper changes....

Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  11:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the forum input. We have valued it sincerely. Do stay in touch from time to time. I'd like to hear from you on the forum if you have time.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  3:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well after my first week, all I can say is "THIS ROCKS!"

International is a GREAT company, and they DO respond to the customer's concerns. From the (very) little that I have seen so far, as soon as an "issue" is identified, SOMEONE is "on it" right away. The unfortunate part is that the resolution may not be obvious or quick.

I can assure you all that the goals for product improvement are high, and that we REALLY ARE out to be the best in the industry.

Go to Top of Page

TulsaOK

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  4:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey ModMech, welcome to International. Where are you working? From what you've said about changing things I'm guessing Ft. Wayne.

I'm at the Tulsa Bus Plant. Best of luck to you and you're right, it's a great company.

Go to Top of Page

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  6:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. What are they responding to?
2. Have the customers been satisified with the responses.
3. The resoultions are never quick and are usually very expensive to the customer.
4. How long does Navistar expect common parts like flex plates, dash clusters, ecms, engine electronics, water pumps, radiators, turbos, act. to last.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  10:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe,

No disrespect intended, and I hope none is taken...

The flexplates are completely a torque converter issue, granted stronger plates would be less prone to breakage, but ALL engine manufacturers suffer from this.

International has responded to my WRITTEN comments, they have actually changed (updated) parts because of customer responses. Service parts are redesigned as continual product improvement. I have seen major chassis and brake components changed in 12 months (next production year).

I have not failed and ECM, dash cluster or IDM EXCEPT on units that were jump-started (failure was the same day) since the very early '90s with the first generation 3800 dash clusters.

Radiators are a weak spot, but cooling system performance and durability is better the better care it gets.

EVERYONE is having turbo troubles right now. You can thank the EPA for that.

Go to Top of Page

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  05:03:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont belive the manufactures are suffering, the consumers are.
We are seeing chronic problems with 1999 dash clusters. Navistars solution seems to be buying a new center board at $350. I dont belive a dash cluster should have such a high failure rate and what justifies $350 a for circuit board. Soon you will be able to buy a new PC with monitor cheaper.
Ive logged millions of miles on Dt360's without turbo failures and over a million between my 3126B's and 5.9ISB's, so whats up with the DT466?
How long should DT466 injector o rings, HP pumps, cam sensors and ICP valves last?
How long should a DT466 water pump last?
I have not associated any electronic failures with jump starting(dont do it much) and I would think there would be warnings issued if they diddnt want you to do it.
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  05:35:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyway you could bring back the DTA360? without any electronics? something thats really reliable? lol.. I gotta say though I have not had much problems with my 466's E's or the older ones. Its always the electronics with the E's when I do have problems, those are days that I would trade the whole fleet for anything pre 97 with the 360's!

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  12:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I compare the operational costs of a late model International against other brands, either current or past, I see LOWER CPM with the newer designs.

The GMs had turn signal swtich troubles, parts were cheap, but they were a total PITA to change. The 8.2L required new head gaskets every other year, and injectors randomly. Turbos lasted about 5 years, maybe a little longer. The exhaust bellows were a constant problem, and they were not cheap. The radiators were good for 6 years or so, no big improvememt there.

The Fords used the 8.2L as well, same troubles there. The later models with Cummins enignes suffered higher pump failure rates (fuel or water) than any International product we ran since the 6.9L. We won't even get into the endless headgasekt or oil cooler leaks with these. Failed more than one turbo too.

In all honesty, when you account for the injection pumps, injectors and timing the HEUI engines have been very good in total. I see LOTS of perfectly good parts (HP oil pumps) being REPLACED instead of being resealed for leaks, and I have only seen TWO pumps worn out, to the point of failing the diagnostic tests for flow and pressure. ICP valves are often the "it must be that" part, I have more good ones in my box than I care to admit (replacing it was NOT the fix). As for water pumps, we do about 3/year on the vehicles we see, which is over 100 "NGD" style DTs, many of which have well over 300,000 miles on them (about 1/2).

As for the turbos, I can honestly say that we have never done that many at all, it is very even between CAT, Cummins and International (DTs). I will agree that I only EVER replaced one DT 360 turbo, in over 20 years of working with them, due to a failure. We have replaced some during overhauls as a prophlactic measure (CYA). It is my opinion that the turbo acceleration rates during transient acceleration are bringing the turbo components closer to their limits and doing so much more frequently. This may be whay the failure rates have increased. My point above whas that it affects ALL manufacturers as they try to get ever more air into the combustion chamber.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000