Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Newby too Schoolbuses!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wishbone

10 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  7:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wishbone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just bought my first bus today. It's an 88 International with a DT466,4 speed Allison Auto. Running like a top. It is set to run 65 tops.
I've heard you can turn up the fuel and get more speed. I'm not wanting to race, but would 70-80 be to much to ask? If not how does one go about turning the fuel up?

94AmTranVolunteer
Advanced Member

264 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  7:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay. Have fun with your New Bus, and please Take Pictures! ;) Do you have any other information on your Bus like a Body Make or a Engine, etc.

Answering Electrical Problems One at a Time.
Go to Top of Page

Wishbone

10 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  7:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wishbone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mine in a Blue Bird 1 passenger(71 passenger with all seats except drivers seat removed) with an International DT466 engine and a 4 speed Allison Automatic tranny. Am planning to make me a toy hauler/motor home from it.
Go to Top of Page

94AmTranVolunteer
Advanced Member

264 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  7:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah. Have Fun! ;)

Answering Electrical Problems One at a Time.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  8:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A gear change is in your future.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

GPwing

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  10:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit GPwing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone

I've heard you can turn up the fuel and get more speed. I'm not wanting to race, but would 70-80 be to much to ask? If not how does one go about turning the fuel up?

What is your High idle no load RPM??
Go to Top of Page

Wishbone

10 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  05:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wishbone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GPwing

quote:

Go to Top of Page

Wishbone

10 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  08:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wishbone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know what you mean by "High Idle". Mine seems too idle steady with no load @ 800 rpm.
Go to Top of Page

Wishbone

10 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  08:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wishbone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mine in a Blue Bird 1 passenger(71 passenger with all seats except drivers seat removed) with an International DT466 engine and a 4 speed Allison Automatic tranny. Am planning to make me a toy hauler/motor home from it.

I don't know what I was thinking last evening when I said my bus was a Bluebird! It's clear this morning that it plainly says "Ward" on the side!!
Go to Top of Page

GPwing

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  3:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit GPwing's Homepage  Reply with Quote

quote:

[/quote]
I don't know what you mean by "High Idle". Mine seems too idle steady with no load @ 800 rpm.
[/quote]

When the bus is out of gear and you plant your foot to the floor on the thottle, what is the engine rpm.
Go to Top of Page

Wishbone

10 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  7:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wishbone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok,thanks! It was between 2,950 & 3,000 rpm
Go to Top of Page

GPwing

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  5:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit GPwing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2950-3000 sounds a bit high, but OK. I wouldn't crank any more RPM out of that engine and expect it to live long.

Changing the rearend ratio would get you more speed and less power.
Another thing you can look at is tire size. Whats on it now 10.00-22.5??
Go to Top of Page

Wishbone

10 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  10:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wishbone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It has 11R22.5's on it and they are like new. I guess if turning up the fuel isn't a good option I'll just drive sixty-five! Right now I can't afford new tires, a rear end or an auxilery transmission! I'm pretty sure with no more load than I'll be hauling I will still make good time at 65 mph as I won't be pulling down much on hills. Plan on 14' of garage area in back to haul my vw trike and the rest for living area. I'll be useing some of the stuff from a 24 ft. class C motor home for that. Thank you for you input.
Wishbone.

Edited by - Wishbone on 09/08/2010 08:29:10 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000