Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 C7 with fuel issue?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tow Master

9 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  11:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tow Master's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello again all.

Lately it seems like my C7 with nearly 200,000 on it has been running bad especially when pulling out from a stop. Its in a 04 Ford F-650. Today it was on high idle and hickuped twice then went back to normal. 30 miles later while driving in traffic I was pulling out from a stop sign and it would cough and sputter real bad as well as a internal "fuel knock" Almost sounded like someone was popping popcorn in the motor.

However, it would go away when you reved it up. I pulled over and shut it off with no help. Stoped at a parts store and bought additive. After the additive it ran fine the rest of the way home? But, I really didnt give the additive enought time to activate so Im not sure if it was just a coincidence. I got it back to the shop and put 2 new fuel filters on. It did it once more after a 45 minute drive and thats it.

Im thinking its a fuel pump going bad. Anyone else have a idea or know how to check them?

Thanks for your help!
Jason

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  03:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Can you pull flash codes on that Ford?

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  3:04:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would check your fuel hoses to make sure you aren't sucking air in with the fuel first. Just a little leak can give you problems. Another easy thing to check is your ECM connectors wiggle them while it's running and see if the engine stumbles.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  8:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

I would check your fuel hoses to make sure you aren't sucking air in with the fuel first. Just a little leak can give you problems. Another easy thing to check is your ECM connectors wiggle them while it's running and see if the engine stumbles.

I was going to suggest the same thing on the fuel lines. You should see a wet spot on the fuel line if it is sucking air.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000