Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BusBoy 1
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  1:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks
I have not been on for a while but I have a Question 2000 Freightliner 5.9 ISB Runs good 90% of the time Every so often The ck eng lite will come on And will abruptly surge up and down Then as fast as it came on it goes out and runs fine. It has done this for some time now and is getting worse. It has had the vp44 pump replaceed new lift pump and a second lift pump install by the fuel tank and a fuel press gauge installed and my fuel press is right on when the problem happens I know the codes would maybe tell me but I can't get codes unless someone knows how without a computer. Any help would be great Thanks Rob

flyboy

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  08:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit flyboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cummins had many problems with the ISB. Particularly the lift pump failure taking out the Injection pump.Cummins extended the warranty on the VP44 and will replace the faulty lift pumps as well. Get a hold of your local Cummins dealer and tell them you want this problem fixed and don't take no for an answer. They built the thing and they are responsible to make run right!
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  2:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bus boy, What kind of a pump are you running by the tank? and how do you have it wired?

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

enokradeht

United States
27 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  7:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without cummins insite your kinda peeing in the wind. My first thoughts Crank sensor beside starter. Seems everyone i have that gets the surge that cures it and sure nuff theres codes. If in fact it is crank sensor when removed look at the tip real close... Had tone ring bolts fall out of one and chopped the tip of sensor off..

Tom
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy 1
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  7:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all The second pump is a pump the same as the lift pump on the moter I plumbed in into the fuel line about 2 feet in front of the tank mounted it to the frame and run wires to the engine and hooked right into the supply pump wires so they both run together The gauge will run 30psi at idle and 15to20 on road runs great until it surges but it was doing that before the pumps and the vp44 pump the double pump was a suggestion from the company that rebuilds the vp44pump seems to work good. Also I will ck the crank sensor Thank you
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  8:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a 2001 do the same thing as far as surging. It was a bad exhaust back-pressure sensor.

Be careful, you can throw parts at it all day long and not find the problem. Look for a shop somewhere near you that can check the codes.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  08:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one surging up and down at idle. sid 190 fmi 2 engine speed and sid 251 Powersupply codes. Crank sensor most likely?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  09:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SID 190/FMI 2 = speed data erattic or primary & secondary magnetic sensor leads switched.
- Your crank sensor sounds like a good place to start.

SID 251 = Injector Power Supply or ECM measured injector boost voltage is low.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  12:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SID 251 = Injector Power Supply or ECM measured injector boost voltage is low.
Is this internal to the ECM? The crank sensor seemed to fix the other problem. Also on the 251 with the FMI 2, is Cummins code 319 from what I have found. Something about resetting the internal clock? Do these have a battery like a PC motherboard?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 04/15/2011 07:00:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  2:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could possibly be a wire from a pin out that is not conducting properly. I would suspect a corrupted power source to the ECM or a poor ground first & then go chasing pin-outs from the ecm per the laminated Cummins chart.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  2:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JustinB

It could possibly be a wire from a pin out that is not conducting properly. I would suspect a corrupted power source to the ECM or a poor ground first & then go chasing pin-outs from the ecm per the laminated Cummins chart.

He is gonna bring it back later, needed the bus. He said the lamp had been on forever and it had started the surging recently.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000