School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 FORD 460 Exhaust manifold bolts (declined)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  09:17:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm working on a 1993 Ford E-350 with a 460. I found the bolts are broke off in the head on both sides, the rear. It looks like a new set of manifolds and bolts were installed recently. The guy just bought it so he doesn't know any history on the repairs. Are these like the BB Chevys? Will drilling out the mounting holes in the cast iron manifolds a little bigger help? Change to studs with nuts? What works for you?

Edited by - Wolf0r on 04/15/2011 2:46:00 PM

dwight

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  7:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1995 F53 460 36'Motorhome 60k miles. R/front & R/rear E/manifold bolts snapped. Drill out holes on both manifolds & ran across planer. Cover mating surfaces with Anti-seez compound (no gasket).
Install new kit of correct studs/bolts covered with anti-seez. Torque in steps to 30'lbs. (I installed an exhaust pipe clamp and turn-buckle hook with locknut to cross/member to prevent exhaust system from expanding forward.) Good or bad idea?

20 SCHOOL BUS FLEET OWNER/OPERATOR (Retired)
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  11:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree dwight. I won't be doing the turnbuckle though. A set of shorty tube headers would be nice. Mine have emission tubes though. I haven't found any good fix it forever info.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  2:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out the door it went. It was an RV anyway, he said my estimate was too high. See ya...........

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  5:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had an '85 E-350 Rescue unit with a 460. We had it for 19 years. Over those years, it drew a lot of blood...... my blood.

I always felt that the best thing that could happen to that vehicle would be a good fire.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  8:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

Out the door it went. It was an RV anyway, he said my estimate was too high. See ya...........

Did you tell him you get what you pay for?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  08:56:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

Come on now, his brother in law can do it in the back yard for $50 and a case of Bud (which will be consumed in the first two hours of the two week long ordeal which will result in it back at your shop needing the heads replaced when he drills too deep...) why can't you?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  2:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000