2011 Vision coolant smell
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  6:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We've got a 2011 Vision with the Cummins that has just 4800 miles on it, and it has a rather strong hot coolant smell when you run the defrost fan heater. This is the heater with the knob controls on the dash that feeds the defroster and the front third of the bus. The coolant level in the tank is not low. It must have a very small leak somewhere to generate this smell. Is there a particular place in the heating system where these are known for leaking that might lead to such a smell?

Baggs

9 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  11:18:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Baggs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BBInt.10, That is a typical smell for a Vision, as they all stink. Sorry could pass on that one. Sorry for the levity.

Now, I don't know of any place that is prone to leak on these Visions, but here are things to check out and I'll say this across the board, regardless of M/M/Y.
Naturally the connections, the best times for looking at them is when the system is cold, as everything is "shrunk" and if it is a small enough leak, as the system warms up it will "burn off" not leaving you much to look for, except for the smell. You may have to get a mirror and to look at those hard to see/ reach places and look for stains on the plumbing, similar to a rust streak on a loose wheel nut. Matching the color of your coolant. The same can be said for the heater cores. If you can't get a mirror in to see all the places, run your fingers around the connections and see what your fingers look like afterward. Then you can always do the ultimate test which is to taste test what comes off on your hands, if it's sweat tasting you have found the culprit. This is a down and dirty trick, no pun intended.
Seepage in the core or cores puts me in mind of a piece of hard candy that has been sitting on a warm heater core for a very long time. Wet looking and sticky.

One other thought, how about where the heater lines come thru the firewall, a non secured hose can rub thru pretty quickly, start out small and only get worse as time goes on.

A question if I may, is this a problem more so when the ambient temp. is low ? If so I would just go thru and tighten all hose clamps, even if you can see nothing to make you think they are loose or leaking.

B
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  12:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
do the 2011 visions still have a ball valve shut-off by your left leg on the side of heater box like the older BB's had? i use to find a lot of seeps/leaks in that area. other wise doing what Baggs said sounds like your best option.-- good point below

Edited by - slippert on 04/15/2011 10:08:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  06:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's your dealer say?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000