New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  9:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just had some front tires balanced today with equal. How long does it take before the bags break and the tires stop bouncing? Holy smokes...

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  05:33:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a few miles. Are you using Equal brand? We used another brand once and you had to take it out of the outer before you put it in the tire.
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  06:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody ever do golf balls? Just wonderin..

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  09:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the local tire shop do the job. Their invoice says "bags of equal." I didn't want to call them right away complaining, as I have never had the procedure done before and didn't want to come off as some newbie.

I have driven the vehicle around 10 miles, and it bounces like crazy still, worse than it did before I had it done. Is there a certain speed I should drive it at to get them to break? I have been on the interstate at around 60 mph.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  3:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate that equal crap. It's no good if you start and stop routes. Sux to change a tire with equal in it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  1:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Baptist,

We used Equal brand in all our tires, ONE bag per tire. We only had balance or shimmy problems IF the tire was not completely seated onto the rim thereafter. However, if they did not use DRY air to fill the tires with, and there was a lot of moisture in there, it may have balled up. If it freezes, it will never balance.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  12:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I do not recommend this type of balancing.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

rustywrench

United States
38 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  7:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Equal will not fix bad tires and thats what it sounds like you have it will take some small vibration out but the way your post reads you probably have another problem.
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  2:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used Equal in my bus tires for the last 5 years. I put it into all my new tires. The only problems I have run into is if a tire is not round. It will not correct a bad tire.
Make sure you follow the chart for the propper amount and use dry air.
If I have a flat I use a Vacuum to clean it out and throw in another bag.
Go to Top of Page

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  10:46:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do not balance tires at all. The best maintenance I have found is to insure wheel bearings are adjusted properly and componets are up to spec.

PHW

Child Check For Life
Chock Wheels For Life
Proud American For Life
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000