My Maxforce DT blew a hose
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  06:12:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bus (07 CE 300) has a tad over 8k on it and blew a heater tube out of the water pump late friday night returning from a ball game.

The coaches/parents got the tube shoved back in the block and wired it with a coat hanger and replaced the water/antifreeze and headed home while I was rounding up tools and a spare bus. It drove the 70 miles home without incident.

I removed the tube, flared the end a little where it wouldnt come completely out again later in its life and added a better clamp to restrain it. Three foot of 1" hose, water weight,valve and 18" of metal tube and a vibrating diesel and all that restrained it was a cheap neoprene strap.

Now my question is where do I start to worry about this thing? Will the ECM tell how warm it got during the event?

I concluded that the bus dealer that installed the A/C either had this tube loose or off during the A/C compressor install and forgot to tighten it back up.

Do I talk to the bus dealer yet or wait and see what the bus does?

Dang I hate this!!!

Save a MaxForce and check your fittings.

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  07:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Will the ECM tell how warm it got during the event?"

If it overheated, the information will most certainly be recorded.

I would certainly inform the dealer of your extreme displeasure and inconvenience.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  03:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 10 of these units (2007 IC CE300 w/Maxxforce DT). 4 of the 10 have experienced this problem so far. After the first two failed, we went around and tightened them all and repositioned the hangers so there was no stress on the pipe. Still, two more failed. After doing a lot of research, IH has an improved part which (I hope) they are using in production now. The part number is 3809652C93. When I tried to order it, there were none in the country. After an email to my service rep, he confirmed that the C93 version of the part has been improved by adding the flare at the end of the pipe, thus preventing the pipe from being able to walk up and out of its nut and rubber ferrule. I ordered it "next day air" and "unit down" and got one in three days. After looking at one, there is just a slight flare on the end of the pipe. Instead of trying to replace all ten pipes, I ordered a RIDGID flaring tool number 455 from Toolup.com (which was also on backorder for a while) that does the job very nicely. You don't have to make a flare big enough to seal anything, the rubber ferrule does that. Just flare it so that it can't walk up and out of its compression fitting. We are currently performing this task on all of our 10 buses. I have yet to see anything posted on ISIS that would inform us and yes, I have complained to my rep that they are not releasing this information! This seems to be a pattern.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  6:33:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have two CE300s. I will check them tomorrow.

CJRon....... experiencing any of this?

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  03:46:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone wants to pull the pipe apart and check it, you may want to have a new spare rubber ferrule on hand. One of ours fell apart when we pulled the pipe out. The ferrule by itself is part number 3808278C2.
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  1:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
According to my former bus barn, there was a recall on this 3 months ago. I'm suprised that this info didn't get around like it was supposed to.

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  04:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to see it. I just rechecked fleet ISIS under all categories including service info by VIN, recalls, tech service bulletins, and field campaigns and there is nothing coming up at all. Before doing all this legwork myself, I checked with my dealer. I'm really getting tired of being left in the dark by International on Fleet ISIS. When I recently gave my rep a perfect example of this type of situation occuring, his answer was that the dealers know it and since it's under warranty, they don't need to show it to fleets. (Then I ask him "Why have an information service if you're not going to give out information!?") He's just trying to make lame excuses, but you can see the attitude that prevails.
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  06:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBTMech

I have two CE300s. I will check them tomorrow.

CJRon....... experiencing any of this?

You mentioned 10 units. What is the latest engine? Is there a serial number to look at for this info? I just wonder at what engine serial number they started adding the "updated" hose. Sure enough wasnt mine!!

So do yall think mine was caused by IH (FACTORY)or by A/C installer?

My bus has made about 400 miles since it puked the line and coolant without any ill effects. I just wonder what long term effects are gonna be?

I'll know to check my next bus thats on order. I guess I should refuse it till they verify it has the updated parts.

Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  06:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dem84skeeprollinup

According to my former bus barn, there was a recall on this 3 months ago. I'm suprised that this info didn't get around like it was supposed to.

I to would like to see this info, if for nothing else just to add it to this busses folder for later ammo if needed.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  1:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last bus in my series of 10 is VIN 8A577159 and engine serial number is 466HM2U3005243. Correction to my above post...these buses pushing the pipe out are 2008's. If anyone sees a recall, I would love to get the number. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000