Power steering pump Noise?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

captainkf

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  10:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all, As I stated in my other post I am new. I have an 85 gmc c60 56pax bluebird bus. The power steering has begun making alot of noise when operating unless rpm's are up. The belt does not seem to be slipping. Any thoughts? Could this be the pump dying? How difficult is it to replace? Cost?

Aby help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Richard

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  04:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
try changing the filter and flush the p/s system of old oil. that usually stops the growls when turning the wheel.
Go to Top of Page

captainkf

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  10:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any tips on how to do this, as I have had trouble finding much info on where these items are located on the pump. Thanks!

-Richard
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  2:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have several GM pumps apart, usually the rotor cam plate is worn. The solid part inside that the rotor vanes ride inside of. The cost is $208 for a rotor kit!!! That's why they are still apart. As Tigger said try flushing with clean fluid you might get lucky.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  6:45:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Easy to flush. Remove the return line from the back of the pump and aim it into a bucket. Start the bus, and let it empty the fluid into the bucket. The fill up the pump again and start it. Keep doing this until the fluid coming out is nice and clean looking. Then reattach the hose and fill the pump up to running level. Expect a little air to be in the system, but it will work it's way out after a while.

I just bought a reman pump from napa and the cost was $147.00. Part number NSP20-302. Be sure to verify if it's the proper pump for your engine though. There's no filter in this pump, only a magnet inside the canister. Flushing should take care of that though.

You are of course talking about a 366 or 350 engine, right?

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Edited by - baptistbusman on 10/05/2007 6:46:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

captainkf

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  09:24:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for your help! I will be doing this in the next couple of weeks and I'll let you know how it works.

-Richard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000