Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  9:36:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What is the bus you drive this year? Does it work great, what year and who made it, and any other comments about it?

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  3:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
1996 (Chassis), 1997 (Body) International/Blue Bird, DT466, AT-545, 71 passenger, hydraulic brakes.

I was assigned to a sister bus of this one at the beginning of the year that was then transferred to another yard. I found this bus shortly after the start of the school year. It runs great, drives great, and hasn't given me any problems. I love it! But, as much as I love this bus, there are a few things I don't like about it.

First of all, it has the highback passenger seats. I have gotten used to them now, but before then, I was used to the standard height passenger seats, since most all of our other buses have those seats. Also, I do not like the roof hatches. They are the type with the black screened vents, so I can only open the white hatch facing forward (which we are not allowed to do at any time).

As I've said before, this bus is in better condition and runs a lot better than some of the other buses from the same model year that we have at our yard. Maybe I was lucky in finding such a nice bus.
Go to Top of Page

thomas91
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  4:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Model Year: 1991
Chassis: International DT360
Body: Thomas
Capacity: 72
Transmission: Allison Automatic (AT-545?)
Misc. Specs: Air Brakes, Air Door, two Roof Hatches, White Strobe light, AM/FM PA w/ one exterior speaker and two internal speakers (that no longer work), Green/Green/Black Interior, Rasied driver headroom, interior light monitor
Notes: This is the third year I have driven this bus. This is one of a group of four buses we have that were purchased in the late 90's from Hoekstra. Prior to my current bus, I drove one of the other three which was the same, only it had a chrome grille and cat's eye crossing mirrors. Interestingly enough, my current bus (and the other three) did not originally have amber lights. You can tell this because the exterior light monitor only has the reds, and on the exterior of the bus, you can see where the black paint was extended to cover the area behind the amber lights. This work was done sometime before we purchased this set of buses.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  5:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas91

Model Year: 1991
Chassis: International DT360
Body: Thomas
Capacity: 72
Transmission: Allison Automatic (AT-545?)
Misc. Specs: Air Brakes, Air Door, two Roof Hatches, White Strobe light, AM/FM PA w/ one exterior speaker and two internal speakers (that no longer work), Green/Green/Black Interior, Rasied driver headroom, interior light monitor
Notes: This is the third year I have driven this bus. This is one of a group of four buses we have that were purchased in the late 90's from Hoekstra. Prior to my current bus, I drove one of the other three which was the same, only it had a chrome grille and cat's eye crossing mirrors. Interestingly enough, my current bus (and the other three) did not originally have amber lights. You can tell this because the exterior light monitor only has the reds, and on the exterior of the bus, you can see where the black paint was extended to cover the area behind the amber lights. This work was done sometime before we purchased this set of buses.

Your bus was probably manufactured prior to October of 1990 if it was originally Michigan speced. Michigan required buses built from October of 1990 on to be equipped with the 8 ways, ambers and reds. Most likely the stop arm on your bus was added as well since we didn't require those until 1992.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  5:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't drive a bus, but I can tell you what I ride on. At the beginning of the school year I was on a 1992 Carpenter/Ford 66 pass. auto., air brakes, 8-way lights, manual outward opening door, 2 roof hatches, 2 window emergency exits, and it had a 5.9L Cummins in it.

About the middle of November my driver got a 2004 Thomas Saf-T-Liner EF. It is an auto., manual outward opening door, 78 pass., 4 window emergency exits, 2 roof hatches, 8 way lights, I don't know what kind of motor it has on it, and it has a strobe light tree guard.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

Rockstar97

147 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  6:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I've posted enough about my old bus, here is my new (to me) bus:

It's a 1997 Blue Bird/IC, 72-passenger, hydraulic brakes, 5-speed manual transmission with a Spicer shifter. Things that took some getting used to: the Spicer, since I had only driven the older shifters which were a LOT wider (I still like them better). The new driver control panel...the big black one with the Master nearer to the top. So many times I've reached down and to the left to turn my wipers but to no avail! Still no intermittents, but I don't really mind. I like the fact that the defrosters now span the length of the windshield and not just those annoying round vents that only defrosted a fraction of my old windshield. No roof hatch, either, but no biggie. The outward opening door I don't really like, especially when it opens into a snowbank in the school loading zones. But the door handle is built a little closer, which is kind of nice. The steering wheel is alright, but I do miss the three arms on my old one. I know I'll probably never see another one of those. And a little detail that annoys me...you can't hear the turn indicators clicking, so I always have to look down to see if they cancelled properly or if I've turned my flashers off. Modern technology, I guess, but maybe I'm just biased towards the classic love of my life that is now probably in several pieces. I should've scooped the silver grill and hung it in my living room!
Go to Top of Page

dmoney127
Advanced Member

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  6:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Send dmoney127 an AOL message  Send dmoney127 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
My Bus: #90

1984 Blue Bird All-American FE, 84 cap.
3208 Cat (Remanufactured, year unknown, maybe mid 90's?)
AT545 (new in 2001)

This particular bus has worked, for the most part, pretty well this year. It tends to burn oil, but almost all of them from the 1982/84 years do, some much more so.

The problems this year:

Multiplexer replaced (October)
Radiator issues: Leaked from bottom, sent out and repaired. Then started leaking from around the neck, repaired twice. It has probably been on the shelf for about 3-4 weeks this year, between these problems and a B-inspection.

After these problems were remedied, it has ran fine. A lot smoother than most of the others (#83-102). Doesn't really have a lot of extra features, but I don't know how these were spec'd in the 80's...does have a folding air door, which is nice. I'm sure they all had it back in the day, but it has a somewhat oversized steering wheel, and a somewhat uncomfortable mechanical seat, but at least the height is okay and the seat cushion isn't slanted, sloped, or angled from years of use like some of the others. The 1982 models got fresh paint a couple years ago, but the 84 models could use some, although they are all scheduled to be phased out in the next 2-4 years. Although it is somewhat underpowered and turns pretty wide, the others with original engines drag a lot worse when climbing hills. The only other thing of note is that the 82 models have a light monitor, while the 84 models do not, although I am used to not having one...
Go to Top of Page

Girardin_71
Top Member

Canada
626 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  6:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Girardin_71 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I too don't drive a bus but I will tell you what i ride on.

1990's International Thomas with a diesel engine, Grey interior and seats, Allison AT545, shoulder strap seat belt, manual outward doors.

Girardin/Blue-Bird are my favorite school buses

http://www.g71bdpt.net
Go to Top of Page

Bri98-87
Advanced Member

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  7:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Bri98-87 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not currently driving a bus, but my last bus was a 98 bluebird International, #10.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdDriver
Advanced Member

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  8:14:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBirdDriver's Homepage  Send BlueBirdDriver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My bus:

Bus #8
Model Year - 1998
Blue Bird All American FE - 84 passenger

CAT Turbocharged engine
Air brakes
Tinted Windows
8 Underfloor Storage Compartments
AM/FM Radio w/PA
Manual outward opening door

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  1:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Bus
2004 IC-RE
T444E
Air Suspension
Air Door
Air Brakes
CD-player
Air Horn
210-hsp

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

thomas91
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  5:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thomas86_a:

Thats interesting that you say that. I'll have to see what the manufacture date was tomorrow when I go into work. The sticker above the drivers seat says 1991.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  5:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas91

thomas86_a:

Thats interesting that you say that. I'll have to see what the manufacture date was tomorrow when I go into work. The sticker above the drivers seat says 1991.

I have to wonder if it took a while for all the manufacturers to recognize Michigan's new law... I've seen many buses in this area with ID#s indicating they were from 1990 or 1991 yet it was obvious they were retrofitted in some way or another with 8 ways. My own bus, as well as 86a's bus both were four way buses but his was retrofitted with 8 ways and a stop arm in service, I did it to mine after I bought it.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

mjs4236

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  7:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Send mjs4236 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i dont drive a bus but i ride on 698 its a 1998 SAF-T-LINER ER MVP Air door window exits and a door on the left side. light monitor 8 way flashers dont know the exact engine but i know its a cat an automatic 5 speed alison world transmission with push button shift selector no speakers or anything. most north carolina buses dont have any bells and whistles on them its just a bus.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  7:11:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bus I drive is:

Year: 1997
Make: Amtran RE
Engine: I know that it's blue, and it's in the rear...How do I find out type/make of my engine. It may be a T 4444 E
Capacity: 84
Door: Air Door, jacknife type
Brakes: Air service and air park
Stop sign: Air stop sign

Best thing I like about my bus is : quiet and rides nice

Things I don't like about it is : It needs to warm up ten minutes before it will run, if it doesn't warm up it won't go more than 5mph. Unlike the new FE buses, alls the drivers have to do is start them and they are set to go.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 01/13/2004 7:13:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Crownbus852

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  7:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amtran is a Subsidiary of International Truck and Engine Corporation. All blue engines are Internationals.
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  09:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
96 Amtran RE,

On the one Amtran RE that we have, I'm pretty sure it says on the back of the bus what engine it has. Ours is a T444E.

***I was behind this bus this afternoon, and on the back where it says "Amtran RE", it did say T444E under it.

Edited by - Jim on 01/14/2004 3:37:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  09:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
96 AmTran RE,

Since your bus is operated by Laidlaw, I'm pretty sure that it would have a T444E in it. They usually seem to put those in most, if not all, rear engine buses. (Made by AmTran/International/IC.)

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  3:42:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MRJim

96 Amtran RE,

On the one Amtran RE that we have, I'm pretty sure it says on the back of the bus what engine it has. Ours is a T444E.

***I was behind this bus this afternoon, and on the back where it says "Amtran RE", it did say T444E under it.

Kind of like this: http://school-buses.net/im000410.jpg

That's from the back of a 1997 AmTran RE, by the way.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
Advanced Member

USA
352 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  3:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message  Send Ricky a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I drive a 1990, GMC, Ward Volunteer (Conventional), 65 cap., 5 speed. To be 14 years old, this bus drives like new. It was a trip bus for 9 years, on a route for 3 years, and then used as a spare. It was only put back into service as a regular route bus the last week of school in December.

(AmTran11)
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  3:57:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buskid

Kind of like this: http://school-buses.net/im000410.jpg
That's from the back of a 1997 AmTran RE, by the way.

Yep, looks just like that.
Go to Top of Page

thomas91
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  5:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I looked at the sticker, and from what I could read, it said that it was manufactured in 1991. The sticker is worn away, so I could not make out much else.

As for 'any comments about it'...

I like my current bus in general. It has just under 170000 miles on it, and still going strong. A lot of our buses have been in the shop at least once a month, whereas mine has not been in yet this school year until today when the crossing arm decided to not work properly. The body is in fair condition, with no major rust spots. The paint is good condition compared to a set of five identical 1990 Internation/Blue Birds we have. My bus is one of the only four in our lot that have an air door. I like the controler on my door which is mounted just in between the control panel and the dash. Most of the pictures I've seen of other air door controls are just two or three position switches. The controller in my bus is a small lever that gives you infinite control of the door. When the lever is forward, the door is closed, and when back, the door is open...and you can choose any position in bewtween which makes it nice for these wonderful cold mornings we've been having.
Go to Top of Page

Blake913

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  7:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Blake913 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
2003 IC FE 89 pass., DT466 175hp, air brakes, manual door, Allison push button, noise reduction ceiling panels. I like it but would rather drive a Thomas HDX ER 90 passenger. Overall a good bus!

2801...The NEWEST addition!
Go to Top of Page

Bri98-87
Advanced Member

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  8:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Bri98-87 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blake913

2003 IC FE 89 pass., DT466 175hp, air brakes, manual door, Allison push button, noise reduction ceiling panels. I like it but would rather drive a Thomas HDX ER 90 passenger. Overall a good bus!

175 horse??? I'd double check that.
Go to Top of Page

Blake913

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  4:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Blake913 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My bad...275

2801...The NEWEST addition!
Go to Top of Page

BBGMC2003_16

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  7:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2003 Blue Bird GMC

Air Door

AM/FM/Tape Player

New district, new bus!

Edited by - BBGMC2003_16 on 09/19/2005 1:33:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  7:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Since your bus is operated by Laidlaw, I'm pretty sure that it would have a T444E in it. They usually seem to put
those in most, if not all, rear engine buses. (Made by AmTran/International/IC.)

Most of the Laidlaw RE buses around here have the T444E but I have seen one with a DT530. I've heard that this engine is not available in school buses, but the plate on the back of the bus said it had a 530. Has anyone else seen one of these/ confirm DT530 availability in REs?

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  04:10:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Most of the Laidlaw RE buses around here have the T444E but I have seen one with a DT530. I've heard that this engine is not available in school buses, but the plate on the back of the bus said it had a 530. Has anyone else seen one of these/ confirm DT530 availability in REs?

Hi Peter,

That is very interesting to hear Laidlaw spec'd at least one AmTran RE with a DT530. I figured at the most, they would've gone with a DT466. All of the AmTran REs owned by Laidlaw in my area have the T444E.

The DT530 is offered as an option on the IC/AmTran RE only. Most of the AmTran REs in California are spec'd with a DT530.

Edited by - B. Busguy33 on 01/18/2004 04:19:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  06:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B. Busguy33

The DT530 is offered as an option on the IC/AmTran RE only. Most of the AmTran REs in California are spec'd with a DT530.

Just as the Poway Unified School District 2003 IC RE-300 that was at the STN Trade Show in Reno, Nevada, two years ago was!

The three 1999 AmTran REs that we had while I was in high school (which were Laidlaw-owned buses operating in Southern California) only had the T444Es in them. While the DT530 was not yet an option, we didn't even get the DT466.
Go to Top of Page

jackycampbell

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  3:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit jackycampbell's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I drive a 1994 Thomas bus that's built by Navistar. It had a new transmission put in it last year and runs like new! It is one of the smaller buses, with 11 seats on each column. What I like most about the old bus is its safety features. It has 2 emergency window exits, 2 emergency roof exits, the back emergency door, plus a working strobe light and many other lights which halp make it very noticeable on the roads! My employer keeps it maintained and safe to operate. After all, those kids I'm transporting are precious cargo!
Go to Top of Page

IC-CEiswhereiwannabe
Advanced Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  09:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interestingly, I started off this year with my last year's bus:
2001 AmTran/International conventional
72 pass.
Allison Automatic
Hydraulic Brakes
Manual Door

I was kinda upset because a lot of the other drivers in my district had recieved brand new IC's.

THANKS"S TO A DUMB SUB DRIVER...who felt the need to keep my door open while she was driving across railroad tracks even after I told her not to...hit the door on a pole beside the tracks which of course shattered it into a million pieces. My kids laughed quite hard at her and they promptly brought her a spare to get my darlings to school on time.

I came back the next day and had a brand new bus that was delivered that morning...and was supposed to go to another driver...didn't even have a number on it yet and that has been mine since about November I LOVE THIS BUS!!

IC - CE 2004
DT466 Engine
Allison Automatic 4 speed (love that with all of these hills)
Linear door opener...no more of that swing crap
Beautiful eightways with those cool caps over top (never had those before)
275 horsepower...no more underpowered buses for me

AND BELIVE ME THAT ONE SUB DRIVER WITH HER DOOR OPEN WHILE SHE DROVE OVER THE TRACKS? SHE WILL NEVER DRIVE THIS BUS....EVER!!!

GO IC-CORP.....making buses that even Thomas and BB lovers like!!

Why can't U C what I C in IC?
Go to Top of Page

WI Handy Bus

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  09:55:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2004 Ford/Blue Bird handy bus, as my screenname implies. Set up to carry 3 wheelchairs, Qstraint chair retention system on tracks, so is very adjustable. Has Ford powerstroke engine which I think is underpowered for a 7.4 liter engine. A new Blue Bird 72 pass FE with 24 valve Cummins would leave this thing in the dust and that engine is only 5.9 liter.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  10:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC-CEiswhereiwannabe
GO IC-CORP.....making buses that even Thomas and BB lovers like!!

Completely false, but you can keep thinking that. hehe

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  3:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC-CEiswhereiwannabe

IC - CE 2004
DT466 Engine
Allison Automatic 4 speed (love that with all of these hills)
Linear door opener...no more of that swing crap
Beautiful eightways with those cool caps over top (never had those before)
275 horsepower...no more underpowered buses for me

I thought IC did away with the linear door handle, or is that still an option? Our 2001 and 2002's had the linear door handle, but our 2003 and 2004's we got this year have the old style. They are very easy to open and don't require much effort.
Go to Top of Page

bpnh23

66 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  3:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
currently: 1990 Blue Bird All American Forward Control.
86 Pass., racks, manual door, air brakes, w/ air horn, air seat, and am/fm cass. 164,000 miles.

next year a new bus finally: 2004 Blue Bird Vision.
77 Pass., eletric door, hydralic brakes, with CAT C-7. It will also have a am/fm cd w/ PA system.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  8:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering the same thing, I thought the linear door control was gone because of the numerous problems/complaints with the design. Can anyone confirm this for me?

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000