Virginia Tornadoes - Yes, a hazard
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vaoverland
Advanced Member

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  6:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit vaoverland's Homepage  Send vaoverland an AOL message  Send vaoverland a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
On another thread, there was discussion about tornadoes, and some talk to the effect that they are not really a hazard in Virginia. According to official sources, "compared with other states, Virginia ranks number 29 for frequency of Tornadoes, 25 for number of deaths, 26 for injuries and 28 for cost of damages."

Obviously, anyone who is thinking that there are never tornado hazards in the Old Dominion needs to take a look at this site:

http://www.disastercenter.com/virginia/tornado.html

As a safe place during a twister, school buses (and other vehicles) rate below mobile homes. Occupants of either need to get to shelter, and a ditch below the average surrounding ground level would be safer than in a vehicle, should those be the only choices.

We lost entire Wal-Mart store in Colonial Heights in 1993. True, this isn't Kansas, but be assured, it is possible to travel to Oz from Virginia also.

I hope this is helpful for those with responsibility. Be safe out there folks.

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  7:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep. Tornadoes are scary. I've watched alot of Discovery Channel programs on tornadoes. I've seen what they can do. They are very powerful storms. Sadly, most of the people killed by them are people who don't know what do when one comes. Either that or they don't get the warning.

My advice, when the weather is getting stormy, turn on the weather on the tv. Or you can go online to www.weather.com and type in your zip code. It will show local severe weather alerts. I find it very helpful during severe weather.
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  7:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC RE 1629

My advice, when the weather is getting stormy, turn on the weather on the tv. Or you can go online to www.weather.com and type in your zip code. It will show local severe weather alerts. I find it very helpful during severe weather.

Or you can go to http://www.weather.gov . IMO, it seems a lot more accurate, and has a better site layout than weather.com
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  03:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have to try that out. Thank you for the link!
Go to Top of Page

04ICCE

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  05:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit 04ICCE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As well as being the sports and activities driver,and IT director, I am in charge of safety and safety training. we have a tornado drill spring and fall as well as a fire drill monthly. when i set up bus routes i contact and make arrangments with other schools and public buildings along the route to allow us to use their facility for shelter in case of severe storms or tornados.

Scott
Wakefield Country Day School
Rappahannock county VA
Go to Top of Page

vaoverland
Advanced Member

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  05:52:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit vaoverland's Homepage  Send vaoverland an AOL message  Send vaoverland a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
an attaboy award for thinking ahead in Rappahannock County (at little Washington, Va?)

Wayne's Lifeguard in 1973 was a safety design and building concept ahead of its time and regulation. I am proud to have helped bring over 2,000 of them into Virginia during my career. I know they saved some lives.
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/WayneBusEnthusiasts/

Mark Fisher, semi-retired school bus driver, pupil transportation supervisor, contractor, and school bus body dealer, Williamsburg, VA

Edited by - vaoverland on 10/02/2005 06:01:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

04ICCE

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  07:01:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit 04ICCE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vaoverland

an attaboy award for thinking ahead in Rappahannock County (at little Washington, Va?)

Yes Little washington but not the county school system we are a private school.

What brand of bus body do you deal in?
if cannot be discussed here email at sclough@wakefieldcds.org

Scott
Wakefield Country Day School
Rappahannock county VA
Go to Top of Page

deleon

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  5:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Send deleon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
what should the school bus transportion dir. did when if this was to happen?

DeLeon Anderson
bus 20
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000