Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  08:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
IC - CE 2004
DT466 Engine
Allison Automatic 4 speed (love that with all of these hills)
Linear door opener...no more of that swing crap
Beautiful eightways with those cool caps over top (never had those before)
275 horsepower...no more underpowered buses for me

I don't think you can spec a 4-speed automatic transmission. I am pretty certain the Allison 2000 is a 5-speed automatic. No more AT-545 (which was a 4-speed).

IC discontinued the linear door opener almost two years ago. They went back to the "swing-out" style door opener.

You cannot spec a 275 hp engine in an IC CE. Also, it is not possible to spec a DT466 (at least for school bus applications) with 275 hp to begin with!
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  6:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bret, I thought so, too. All of our 2003 CEs have the pivot control and IC service technicians actually came to all of my company's yards in the area and replaced the linear controls on our 2002 CEs with pivot controls. I've been trying to find out who paid for that, but no luck yet.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  3:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What is the difference between a linear control and a swing-out control?

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  4:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Swing out doors are the typical manual doors found on buses, and the linear door was something IC tried out a few years ago. Instead of the handle swinging out, it was a push-pull setup. To open the door, you pulled the handle, and to close, you pushed it. We have a few of these, but the only problem I've heard our drivers complain about (the men especially...lol) is the handle sticking out if you were to get out of your seat with the door all the way open. I don't know if you can picture this setup or not, but lets just say the door handle can hit a very "private" area of the body as you get up out of the driver's seat. I'm sure someone here has a pic somewhere of the linear door handle.

Edited by - Jim on 01/27/2004 4:56:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  6:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for answering my question. If anyone has a pic of a linear control, if you don't mind would you post it up or put a link to it on here or email me a pic of it.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  10:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
THANKS"S TO A DUMB SUB DRIVER...who felt the need to keep my door open while she was driving across railroad tracks even after I told her not to...hit the door on a pole beside the tracks which of course shattered it into a million pieces. My kids laughed quite hard at her and they promptly brought her a spare to get my darlings to school on time.

Not changing the subject, but I thought you were required to keep the door open while crossing rr tracks? We do here - I thought that was a national standard.

BTW - I drive:

88 Blue Bird - International - 66 pass - Air Brake - Manual Door - 8 Way warning system
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  11:04:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by busdrver4jesus

Not changing the subject, but I thought you were required to keep the door open while crossing rr tracks? We do here - I thought that was a national standard.

Here in Indiana, we don't keep the door open while crossing the railroad tracks.
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  1:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minnesota law expressly forbids driving a bus any distance with the door open.
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  3:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I know around here, in the summer time, a few drivers will drive with the door opened, but they only do that whenever there isn't any students on board. On athletic trips sometimes a driver will drive the whole way to and from the field with the door opened.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  5:03:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here in Ohio, it's not mandated, but you can drive over tracks with the door open. As for long distances nowhere near tracks, strickly forbidden. Not saying you'll occasionaly see a driver with a j/k door drive with it open in the warmer seasons - hehe - I would too.

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

dmoney127
Advanced Member

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  11:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Send dmoney127 an AOL message  Send dmoney127 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
An update:

As of Monday, they're moving me to a different bus, going from my 84 AAFE to:

1993 Genesis FE
84 cap
Allison 4-spd auto
DT466
jacknife air door (3-position switch)
2 roof vents (something I was looking for).

It wasn't my first choice, but probably at least some improvement, since my old bus is slow and doesn't turn very well. And the new one gets parked under a canopy, which is nice since it rains all the time here!
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  2:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that you are getting a newer bus.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

IC-CEiswhereiwannabe
Advanced Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  10:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dunno guys maybe they have gotten rid of it...but mine still has it. I wonder if its still offered as an option?

Why can't U C what I C in IC?
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  5:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[brLinear door opener...no more of that swing crap

Can someone please send me a pic or post a link of what a linear door opener looks like?

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  4:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SchoolBusFan

What is the bus you drive this year? Does it work great, what year and who made it, and any other comments about it?

This year I'm back in the same bus I had last year. It's a 1990 Wayne International with a DT466 engine in it. The bus has just under 188,000 miles on it, and is probably one of the better-running conventional buses we have (10 diesel Internationals and a gas Ford). It's got some rust issues, but other than that, it's in good shape. I didn't drive a spare for more than about 5 days total last year, so it apparently works quite well

www.busman49.com/Highland42.html

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

04ICCE

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  04:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit 04ICCE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
new last week to replace my 2004 IC CE 200. 2005 IC CE 300,64 pax. DT 466, 210 HP, auto trans, air brake, air seat with lumbar, electric door, cruise control, exterior light test, AM/FM cass. int. and ext. PA, perf. cieling with sound insulation full length, white roof, roof hatch, tinted windows, 78" cieling, no child left behind, 8 way lighting, rear strobe.

added by me: cd changer, IPOD radio transmitter(tranmits music from an Ipod through an FM radio), refridgerator, porta potti(removal of passenger rear seat required with magnetic hooks and 2 shower curtains), soon to have a video system.

this bus is used for sports trips, field trips and other activities, it is used for routes only if a route driver is out and i have to fill in. so far the drivers on my side of the mountain have not missed a day.

Scott
Wakefield Country Day School
Rappahannock county VA

Edited by - 04ICCE on 10/03/2005 03:28:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

bustroy

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2005 :  05:54:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drive a in'tl re. New to me in 2002. Very nice bus 78 pass. But, I still get the arent you over crowded, bit by the parents. They dont understand the fact that the bus holds three to a seat. And yes i am still fighting this matter with them.

Driver Trainer
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  04:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to ride 1629, 2004 IC RE 200

Now I ride 1516, 2001 AmTran RE
Go to Top of Page

TMack8402

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  7:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit TMack8402's Homepage  Send TMack8402 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
State: North Carolina
Bus #: 1001
Year: 2005
Model: Thomas Freightliner

My bus is brand new so its running good for now. The only thing that is wrong with it is the front a/c unit has been broken since it came from Thomas and has yet to be fixed.

School Bus Post: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Schoolbuspost
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  2:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drive a 77 pass, 2001 Thomas Freightliner with a Cummins 5.9 ISB 190HP engine with a 100 gal fuel tank and hydraulic brakes. It's starting to grow on me. When I first picked it up I hated it, but once I fixed it up a little and did some serious cleaning, it felt more like home. I has it's flaws: the delay wipers will stay on and refuse to shut off without a mechanic's touch, the left drivers heater is broken, the parking brake sometimes won't hold on a steep hill and the buzzers for my side windows and roof hatches don't buzz. All of this I am told, is supposedly going to be fixed soon!

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  09:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2005 IC-CE conventional, air door, power mirrors, child check reminder, NICE bus. Had around 21,000 miles when I started the school year. Most comfortable driver's seat I have ever sat in. Not an air seat but has cushioning in all the right places. Only thing I don't like about it is the jersey light switch on the steering wheel. that is a pain when you are turning and need to activate the lights.

Nothing great has ever been accomplished without enthusiasm!
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  10:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
2006 Thomas HDX.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  1:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2006 IC-CE, Air Brakes, Air Ride, Air Horn, Air Door, Chrome Grill, Chrome Wheels, Tinted Windows, 3 Luggage Compartments.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

ThomasER0005
Top Member

USA
576 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  3:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 2000 Thomas MVP ER

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  4:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Only thing I don't like about it is the jersey light switch on the steering wheel. that is a pain when you are turning and need to activate the lights.

I made that point awhile ago about that set-up on the IC buses. I would not spec the warning light switch on the steering wheel. That can be a bit of a problem at times, as you know from personal experience.

-----------------------------------------------------

I need to make an update about the type of bus I drive now.

I was assigned to a 1996 International/Blue Bird, 71 passenger, DT466, hydraulic brakes last November when I took over the current route I drive. I know this bus is one of two from the same era that the mechanic's assistant told me were good buses. He mentioned this about 7 months after I picked it out on my own.

Last year, before I got my permanent route, I had the opportunity to drive a variety of different buses, since I was a sub driver. I had driven the one I have now a couple times, and I decided to make it mine, since it was a spare.

Now, here is where things get a little interesting...

Last Wednesday, my regular bus went up to the main garage for a PM. So, I drove its sister bus (which is a spare), which drove ok, but it wasn't the same as driving mine. Even though they were made the same time, this one had a couple mechanical issues and they took it off the road on Friday.

I went to work Friday afternoon and they assigned me to our one and only 1999 Blue Bird TC/2000 FE (all the others we have are 2002s). This bus had air brakes, it was our only 84 passenger bus with an air door (the other TCs are 77 passenger with manual doors). We inherited this bus a few weeks ago. This bus was supposed to go to one of our drivers who was overcrowded on her route for an out-of-district school. She ended up with another TC and this one was made a spare. All the drivers in my district and the other district we serve drive International/Blue Birds.

This morning, my bus came back from the garage. However, when I went into the office this afternoon, the dispatcher informed me that this TC/2000 is mine until further notice. Not many people know how to drive the transits, and most don't want to. So, since we are short on buses, they are going to use my regular bus as a spare (or let a sub driver use it), and I am going to drive the spare TC as my bus for awhile.

It was awkward driving the TC and seeing "my" bus at the same school. The kids were a little confused.

Nevertheless, the TC is a great bus. I don't like the roof hatches, because you can only open them facing foward. And, I don't like the dashboard set up with the multi-function gauge. Other than that, it's a good bus.
Go to Top of Page

scottyd
Advanced Member

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  4:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Send scottyd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My assigned bus this year is a 1993 Genesis (I call it Grouch). It's an OK bus but it has an air driver's seat that is so bouncy you will litterally hit the ceiling if you weren't wearing your seat belt and went over a dip.

Being a Floater, I'm driving the bus assigned to the run I'm covering: 2001 Thomas FE (Spec Ed), am/fm/cassette, a/c.

Scott
Driving America's Future
Go to Top of Page

deleon

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  5:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Send deleon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
bus 8 and fs-65
65 pass
thomas

DeLeon Anderson
bus 20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000