New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  11:09:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The use of cell phones have become very persuasive in todays environment. Is it time to take a look at developing safe and practical means of using them on buses?

PHW

Child Check For Life

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  11:14:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A local contractor here utilizes Nextel's Two-way Communications System, for its dispatching and bus-to-bus communications. The advantages of using this system are huge, including having a phone for emergency use, and easy identification of which bus is calling. Also, buses going on long distance trips would have no problem.

Another great feature is the "Group" conversation, where anyone driving can communicate in a group style, all talking with each other.

In order to do this, they use hands-free devices, so they can keep both hands on the wheel for supreme safety. I think systems like this will continue to gain popularity in this industry. It is a very practical means of communication.

---

School Bus Photos and Links: http://www.schoolbuscentral.com

Edited by - bluebird4ever on 04/17/2003 11:16:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  11:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hands free is critical! Cell phones cause too many accidents down here because so many people can't talk on them and drive!!!
We don't allow talking on a cell phone while driving the bus. Must stop in a secure area first!
Joe

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  11:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think for regular routes the two-way radio works fine for us. A cell phone is nice to take on trips in case of an emergency as obviously the two-way will do you no good, but emergency is the key word there.

The Thomas M2 Conventional- Coming to a bus yard near you in 2004!
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  4:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep cell phones out of buses. If a driver has a personal phone, it should be turned off while driving and only used when the bus is parked for an extended period of time or in emergencies. The no cell phone use while driving policy is responsible and practical.

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  8:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I remember spotting a school bus driver a few months ago talking on her cell phone while pulling into an elementary school. It was her personal cell phone, and her bus was empty, but she was obviously distracted because as she was pulling into the school she hit her right, rear tires on the curb!

Cell phones should only be used in an emergency (if absolutely necessary) after the bus is safely and securly pulled over to the side of the road, without obstructing other traffic.

Edited by - B. Busguy33 on 04/17/2003 8:12:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  04:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our contractors has had cell phones installed on the buses since the contract start, Fall of 2001. For some weird reason, our contractor has just installed two-way radios on our buses, so we now have cell's and two-ways. I believe he maybe getting ready to sell the bus.

Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  2:45:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would two-way radios be put into the buses before they are sold?

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  3:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was wondering the same thing, ours are taken out before they are sold or sent to the junk yard and used in the new buses.

The Thomas M2 Conventional- Coming to a bus yard near you in 2004!
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  7:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I feel that Cell Phones can be a life saver on the school bus for emergencys and last minute route changes. However, I do feel strongly that it is very unsafe for drivers to be using them while driving. When you are driving the bus, your main goal is the safety of the students. You can not possibly be able to focus on safety when you are yapping away on the phone. I see our drivers here yacking away driving down the road, making passenger stops, and YES, even at railway crossings. I believe that something needs to be written federally concerning cell phones on school buses. They should be provided and allowed, but ONLY for emergencies AND while the bus is parked in a safe location. If you must discuss a route change with a driver, pull over, make the call and continue. If it is a route change, then chances are you will be a little late anyway, so make your call safely. If you must use the phone in an emergency situation and there is no time to pull over, then do it, but then document the emergency on paper for records. However, there should be a list of concidered driving emergencies. Most emergency calls can be made while pulled off. This is just my thougts on the issue. Yes, drivers should have them, but there should be laws governing them. I hope to see something in South Carolina about cell phones and buses soon. It will be a law some drivers will be upset to see, but I will be happy as a lark!

"With God behind us and His arms beneath us, we can face whatever lies before us." PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS!!

Edited by - busdrver4jesus on 04/18/2003 7:50:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  07:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My contractor is also a Blue Bird dealer, so all of our buses are for sale. Every bus we have is for sale. I also thought it was stupid that he would be putting two-ways in them, then get ready to sell it. I asked my driver why he would do that and she said, it's for other school bus contractors who would like to upgrade their fleet. I guess by adding the two-ways, and strobe, and camera, it ups the price of the bus and makes it more appealing to potentional buyers.

Go to Top of Page

Northern SBD

75 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  09:07:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got my first cell phone...

Any piece of equipment should be used properly especially when you are in the process of driving.(common sense)

I am more upset with the habit of drivers who drive off with one hand and balance their travel coffee mugs in their other hand.

Go to Top of Page

Kabache

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2003 :  7:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Kabache an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My company is considering buying nextel two-way radios with GPS technology built in!!
www.arcsoft.com

Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2003 :  7:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My condolences to you and your co-workers.

Go to Top of Page

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  05:08:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what kind of dumb@ss will talk on his or her cell phone while driving?

Bluebird can never make it back to the nest, but corbeil allways passes the test.
Go to Top of Page

Stevebus42
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  3:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cell Phones are like any electronic devise they have there good points and bad points. Drivers of buses should turn their cell phones off when they are transporting students. Many teachers carry one on Field Trips in our district. Most coaches I know carry one so students can call their parents for a ride home on night trips.
I personaly don't have a cell phone because I hav't seen any plan which I like.

Edited by - Stevebus42 on 06/05/2003 3:34:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  3:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have cell phones, pagers, 2-way radios and now GPS devices. I would like to see more effort put into how to safely use them than spending time on preventing technology that has become a useful part of everyday life.

PHW

Child Check For Life
Chock Wheels For Life
Proud American For Life
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  4:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was almost run off the road a few months ago by another bus driver working for a different company. She had her cell phone in one hand... With her other hand, she had her lit cigarette, and she was steering by using her palm of the same hand that was holding the cigarette. What a pshycopath.
Go to Top of Page

mair

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2003 :  6:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Send mair an AOL message  Reply with Quote
re: With her other hand, she had her lit cigarette

EH???? where the heck is THAT legal? The heck with the cell phone... I thought not smoking in "School Busses" was a federal law. (I learned that when I was doing a cross country bus delivery gig and took a whoooole bunch of crap for smoking in the bus, when I was simply delivering it... but because it was registered as a school bus, I'd get in trouble if caught.)

Transporting the window lickers of New Hampshire
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2003 :  7:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly drivers can smoke on a school bus in Michigan, just not something like three hours before any students are on board. Don't hold me to that, but if I remember correctly that's what I read and the law could have changed since then as well.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2003 :  8:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas86_a

If I remember correctly drivers can smoke on a school bus in Michigan, just not something like three hours before any students are on board. Don't hold me to that, but if I remember correctly that's what I read and the law could have changed since then as well.

I think you're right, I read the same thing. I don't think you should be smoking at all on a bus, though. Or smoking period, but that's your choice.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  09:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm against the fact cell phones should be used on buses. The only time you NEED a cell phone is when you brake down or something else terrible happens to you, other than that, you are there to driver those kids saftley to and from school/home. Even if you get the head phones for a cell, you are still distracted, and most likely won't see what might be happenign on the bus. Our school banned cell phone usage, and if any of are drivers are caught talking on one while driving, they will be fired, and have their lisence taken away from them for a period of time. All in all, drivers shouldn't be allowed to talk on cell phones while driving a bus, just isn't safe.

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  09:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We also have some drivers that smoke - some of our buses even have ashtrays if you are wondering.

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

mair

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  08:24:37 AM  Show Profile  Send mair an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My bus has an ashtray in it. But lorrrrrdy mama, I'd be tossed out with mondays rubbish if I ever was caught smoking in my bus. Heck, I got in trouble one time for sitting on the bottom step with my body outside, smokin'. :)

Transporting the window lickers of New Hampshire
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  09:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ashtrays on buses? I think that's pretty silly! Does anyone know if smoking is allowed in Massachusetts on buses? I don't think it is but a few of them do it. One busdriver came on my bus, lit up a cig, I asked her to please put it out or get off, she got off and gave me the cold shoulder. I think that's rude. One busdriver who used to work here would chat on her cell phone all the time, it was the type you didn't have to put to your ear, but everyone could hear what the person on the other line was saying, sort of like a speaker phone cell phone. Not very classy.
Go to Top of Page

Joyce Dube

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2003 :  5:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PHW

The use of cell phones have become very persuasive in todays environment. Is it time to take a look at developing safe and practical means of using them on buses?

PHW

Child Check For Life

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000