School bus evacuation porocedures
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Williams

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2003 :  01:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in England I work for the local transport co-ordination unit in Cheshire, I am investigating the possibility of introducing vehicle evacuation procedures for students on school buses where fire or accident occurs. It is difficult to engage with people here to progress the matter. Do any of your Transportation people have procedures in place, and if so, can you share them with me please?
I am looking to go to the schools and make students aware of and practice evacuation drills related to their particular bus.

Thanks, Steve Williams

KMM
Advanced Member

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2003 :  8:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Send KMM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I am astonished that there is no practice for evacuations. We have three basic evacuations that we practice. I do all 3 once a year, sometimes twice. There is the front door evacuation, rear door evacuation, and the split evacuation (half out front, half out rear) Students should be taught to leave all carry on items on the bus to evacuate as quickly, orderly, and safely as possible. Other evacuations that should be discussed but not practiced are the roof hatch evacuation, emergency window evacuation, winshield evacuation and the location of all first aid kits, body fluid kits, and fire extinguishers. I also teach students how to use the two-way radio and shut down the bus.
Each district and driver teaches these differently, but basicly, it is the same everywhere. Do some on-line research and I am sure you will find different programs and policys from all different areas.
Go to Top of Page

coolbusdriver
Top Member

Canada
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  11:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laidlaw has some excellent programs for evacuation and for teaching the kids safety around and in the bus.
this is a contact e-mail address you can try for info:
General Inquiries:
info@laidlaw.com
Go to Top of Page

macondriver
Top Member

USA
533 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  3:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Send macondriver an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yes laidlaw does e-vac's all year long....i drive for laidlaw in illinois...in the smaller towns the driver of each bus does a e-vac with their own riders sometime when they first get to school in the am other times they come back to the school with several other buses and just load the bus and go threw it all and then actually pratice a e-vac. i know the larger contracts have e-vac teams that do different schools everyday

Driving my way to the top, in a big yellow bus...and proud of it.
Go to Top of Page

busdriver1115

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  3:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in Indianapolis,Indiana we do these evacuations usually within the first week of school. We only do this with the Elementary age students and I explain to them the importance of this procedure if it is deemed necessary to use it! I wish that we did this procedure with the students more often!

THIS IS MY SECOND YEAR AS DRIVER TRAINER
Go to Top of Page

rltinkey

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  8:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, I have been a driver trainer at my bus depot for six years and have lesson plans on several subjects related to school bus driving. If you wish to contact me at rltinkey@oregonsbest.com I would be happy to share what I already have in place. I am happy to see that you care about the safety of the children. In the event of an emergency a school bus driver must know what to do, how to do it and when to do it.

Ray The Bus Guy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000