New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2003 :  06:13:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another one of those "I cannot stand this principal" stories.

This guy constantly criticized my judgment in the referrals I write. It is not in my job description or contract to carry out discipline procedures. I drive and report it.

Children hit others, make threats. He tells me to handle it. He does not have time with over 800 students and 85 staff ,he has a school to run, the poor guy! Well when do I have time? I have to wait 10 minutes for the buslane monitors to come out. They want the kids unloaded in school for their breakfast that their parents are too lazy to prepare, and if we hold up a bus, we get yelled at. I don't get paid to sit and watch my tapes on my TV that is done on my time. And then when he tells me that a mother does not want her precious baby sitting near another, it takes me 90 minutes to shuffle my seating chart around like chess pieces.

I have written 10 referrals on one students. He has been put off the the bus a total of maybe 7 days this year. I wrote a total of maybe 20 referrals mostly on the same 4 kids. He tells me that I "exceed the normal statistics". What statistics?

He will contradict what I have to say, cut me off mid sentence and then when I try to get a word in edgewise, he tells me, "Let me finish."

I was told that that he has a tendency to single out drivers and pick on them and has his favorites. And if he don't like you, wathch it!

Also, he was my daughter's principal when she was younger and she was sexually harrassed in his school and nothing was done about it. Now I should have sued back then,but I let it go and when I got this run, I tried my best to be nice to him but he found ways to degrade me.

This is workplace bullying and we don't have to take this and I am not quitting because I have pension in store for me with the state retriement system.

If he wants me to handle these bad apples, then pay me 60,000 instead of meaasly 9,000 and I will do it!

Wolfman

USA
192 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2003 :  2:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep a record of every thing. If it don't get better take it over his head. Let him see how it is to answer questions on what is going on.

Wolfman Howling Mostly at the kids!

Go to Top of Page

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2003 :  5:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, I typed a three page for my supervisor to read with everything I documented all year. I have a "big blue book" with all my little jotted down notes in it. But our department cannot tell a principal how to run his school, it can go to the superintendents though. But we are the little guys and we still catch you-know-what because they are the ones with the masters degrees and doctorates and they know more than we do. LOL LOL LOL

Go to Top of Page

KMM
Advanced Member

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2003 :  09:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Send KMM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I side with wolfman. Keep climbing the chain of command being careful not to jump a link until your problem is resolved.

As I have said in the past, you can not allow the behavior of one or two risk the lives of sixty or seventy. The administration needs to understand this. Behavior needs to be maintained on the bus and when it is not, safety becomes an issue.

Good luck with your climb to the top.

Go to Top of Page

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2003 :  11:26:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I made copies of the referrals of the main offenders. One little boy has gotten 11 referrals this year and gotten 8 days off the bus. What I will do first is give the copies of my "paper trail" first" and forget about being on the defensive about how "i do this and I do that and I am so great and I am such a good driver" if the department did not know that then I would out of a job. My supervisor seems interested in this, but what about our director who plays golf with this principal. WE have a very political school system here in our city. You never know which mucky muck knows which mucky muck and which mucky muck is friends with another. Remember the principal has the masters degree and the years of experience supposedly and he has a higher title than me. Bus Drivers are right there with the custodians and cafeteria workers.

Go to Top of Page

bosslady
Advanced Member

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  08:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a policy for write-ups or referrals.
We have a policy (a copy of our policy and the bus rules are given to each parent at the beginning of the year and must be signed and returned to us) Our policy is as follows: A student misbehaving will be given two disciplinary referrals to forewarn the parents of the misbehavior. The third referral will carry with it the disciplinary action of losing bus riding privileges for one week. The fourth referral, two weeks. The fifth referral will necessitate the student losing bus riding privileges for the rest of the year.
There are of course problems that may arise that are serious enough to forego the above steps and go immediately to suspension. Some reasons for immediate suspension may be, but not limited to:
Fighting, use of swear words or obscene language directed at the driver. Use of matches or smoking tobacco, refusal to follow direct order of bus driver, carrying on the bus items such as firarams, knives and other weapons. If the student is obviously a physical threat to the safety of the passengers, and or driver. Any offense the building principal, vice principal, and transportation director may decide is serious enough to warrent suspension.
If you don't have a policy, you need one. There are no if ands or buts at our school, the write-ups follow the policy.
One of the principals tried to say last year that he would give the kid another chance and wouldn't suspend him for a week after 3 write-ups. I said" absolutely not" I would go over his head to the Superintendent and then to the school board if necessary. We had always stuck to the policy, and we weren't about to stop now. He backed down. I am the Transportation Director, by the way, and have always had a good relationship with the administrators, but I don't let them intimidate me or push me around. I stand behind my driver's 100%. Maybe because I've been there done that. I used to drive a bus full time.

Go to Top of Page

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  06:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I come work for you? Most of our administrators pushovers when it comes to the parents. I handed in two more today for the same two girls who called another girl a "hoe" (you know what that means, don't you?). He yelled at me for not taking care of it myself. Made me walk away mad like a teenager with an attitude and the teachers on the bus lane saw me make my disgusted face and I don't care if he calls my boss and says he wants me removed. Put me in that Brier Patch!!!! He would be doing me a huge favor. This guy has a reputation for not liking referrals. He is rude and talks down to women because he thinks that bus drivers are stupid, even ones like me who have 48 college credits. I told him I don't have time for taking care of it myself either and I wanted to tell him it is not my job. Wish I could do the same stuff he does and just not do my job. Like just not come to work tomorrow because I don't feel like it.

Oh my director won't do much because he plays golf with this principal. So who will they pick? A low life dirt of the earth bus driver or a man with a masters degree?

Go to Top of Page

Wolfman

USA
192 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2003 :  4:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LJ , If your superviser won't help, take it to the superintendent. There has to be some one that can do something. Have you got a camera on your bus? If you don't ask for one.

Wolfman Howling Mostly at the kids!

Go to Top of Page

busdriver1115

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  08:24:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sounds so familuar! We had a driver this year taken off of her route cause she had a bus with problems and she turned the paper work in on a daily basis! Now she is a contracted sub! This is un real! Then you the driver turn in write ups and hear or see nothing taken to the students actions on the bus! VERBAL WARNING!!!!!!!! DENIED RECESS!!!! IN SCHOOL SUSPENSION!!!!!!!! This gets the driver flustered cause the child laghs at you no disipline for their actions on the bus especially when it is seafety related! Just stating an opinion!

2001 International FE 84 Passenger
Go to Top of Page

busdriver1115

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  08:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SAFETY RELATED SORRY I MIS SPELLED SAFETY!!!!!

2001 International FE 84 Passenger
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  07:26:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A few of the things you mentioned about referrals and seating charts and tapes.

Rule 1. Bus driver is authorized to assign seats. You are the one who has to maintain control of that bus. If a parent does not want their child close to another child, TOUGH. The parents can transport them.

Rule 2. You should not view video tapes without an administrator with you. In your situation I would make sure the principal got it first. Discipline is his responsibility just as it is yours. Drivers here have been accused of doctoring tapes which is a complete joke, but nonetheless, because the principal did not see the driver remove the tape, the tapes were not used in discipline procedures. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's true.

Rule 3. DO NOT let that principal cut you off mid sentence or talk to you as a child. The next time he does, gather all of your papers and walk out. DO NOT stand there and take his $**t. Go through the chain of command until you get the help you need.

We had an extremely uncooperative principal at one of the elementary schools and he constantly harassed the drivers. I have friends that work at all 3 news networks in Nashville, one of them I went to school with, I called her and gave her the story and when it was televised the principal was forced to take his retirement. Drivers went back as far as 5 years with paperwork and complaints on this principal and all of his actions eventually came back to bite him in the ass. I had a problem and I went to the school board member in our district and he rode with me and by the next day I had no more problems. You might try that. It doesn't matter if they know who you are or not, but it is worth a phone call to get some help!!!

Jeff Flatt
Go to Top of Page

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  07:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Answers for you all - yes I do have camera, yes it picks up all the hullaballoo too. My supervisor will look at the tapes if need be. This principal does not look at tapes. Remember I told you, he does not have time? But I was told to document when he refuses a tape.

They cannot make me a contracted sub, but they can change me route at my request or by their own judgement. Also the principal can request that he does not want me on his school grounds too, but I really have to screw up for him to do that. In fact, I was reaching for that goal for him to ban me from his bus lane in the worst case scenario.

I wrote the other two sisters up again for the fourth and fifth time for standing up and calling a student a "hoe". They got 1 day off the bus. Do you believe this? The principal yelled at me of course and I yelled back. I called my supervisor to followup on the paper trail I gave him and he moved the two sisters and their cousin to a different bus. He was going to move all four problem students, but I told him I wanted to keep the one because those girls get him stirred up and he gets in trouble. So I suggested separating them.

I have never despised an administrator like I do this man. He has a assistant who is very hard-nosed but he intercepts all of the referrals because he is afraid of the parents
and then I catch you-know-what for it. Not one single bus driver at that school likes this man. He is nice to the ones who don't give him referrals, but once you start raising cane with referrals, he will spit nails at you. Amazing the power that a masters degree buys you!

Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  08:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing that he must have been pretty arrogant even before he got that degree.
Some people!
LJ, what is a contracted sub?

Go to Top of Page

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  11:22:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A contracted or as we call it "permanent sub" is a substitute bus driver who is a contracted employee who gets benefits just like a driver with their own run. They are expected to work everyday and when there is no run to cover, they ride with an assigned driver to learn the different runs.

Yes, he must have been pretty arrogant before the degree. I will not repeat the names he has been called because we are not to use obscene language on this website. All I know is that there is not a parent whose child has attended his school (and mine was one of his students one time too) who has anything nice to say about him either. One driver has already gone to the deputy superintendent about him. I may be the second.

Go to Top of Page

Ga.Bus Driver

3 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2003 :  6:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish most of these principals would ride the bus with us and just sit there and listen to what we put up with every day. Of course they would have to be invisible, so the kids didn't know they were there(they will always be quite for them). Our principals will not follow the guidelines for discipline rules. I hate when all they write is EXPECTATIONS EXPLAINED. I think by the 5th write up and these kids haven't learned what this means, then the principal needs to go back to school their self.

Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  10:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AH YES!! Reminds me of the old days when I worked for districts that had principals taking care of bus discipline. Some principals are very supportive of drivers, while others - well, - don't have the time. In that case, referrals do not get acted upon quickly, it sometimes seems that the kids' word is taken over the driver's, and there is a driver perception of distrust and lack of support, and a feeling of helplessness.

I've often described our student discipline system in this forum. Basically the principal is removed from the process and transportation handles most situations. Driver has authority to suspand students, but MUST call parents as part of a due process procedure.

Don't complain, take action! Get your TD to form a committee of drivers, parents and principals to develop your own procedures. The principals will love it, as it is one less thing for them to do. And when we occasionally ask for their help, they are much more inclined to assist.

To get started, email me for our Board-adopted procedures.

Go to Top of Page

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  08:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I will be more than happy to do the principal's job if I am given his salary. I wish I could call parents up and tell them that I am sorry but Johnny cannot ride for 3 days.

I have been driving 5 years and I still have yet to see a student put off the bus permenantly after 3 referrals. Just like the dress code in our school system, the bus discipline code is bogus. Another thing, how about weapons. I caught a 2nd grader with scissors, he was given a reprimand. Then another student had his pencil case out and it had scissors in it. Can't these inplements be kept in school? The whole code of conduct here is a bunch of hogwash.

I stopped signing my daughter's discipline slip when she was a 10th grader. If you don't know the rules by 16, then you never will. And the bus discipline rules say, "you can lose your riding priveliges", but to no avail do I see it happening. They put my troublemakers on a different bus that's all.

I would love to show one of my tapes to a school board member or the superintendent just to see how good a job this principal at this school is doing.

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  10:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well I will be more than happy to do the principal's job if I am given his salary. I wish I could call parents up and tell them that I am sorry but Johnny cannot ride for 3 days.

What does the above quote mean? It's the principals job because it was either stolen from the bus drivers, or some bus drivers refused to manage student discipline themselves.

What John Farr said in his post is the way to go, always has been and always will be, when effective management of student misbehavior on the buses is the actual goal. (jk)

Go to Top of Page

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  5:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all, all of our buses need PA systems so we can speak with control, and not scream at the top of our lungs.

I would love it if we had the power to suspend kids, I would be driving a half empty bus if that were the case. It is not our job to do the disciplining. We can work to control the behavior, but our main function is to drive and do it safely. Bus discipline is not only a local problem it is a national problem. Since when does a principal get off telling me "he has a school to run" Well my bus has the City's name on it with the word "Schools" after it. The last I checked that big yellow cheese is city property and his business is my kids' safety. My business is my kids's safety. But the drivers in our city have very little power when it comes to disicpline. And every school in our city is different as far as discipline goes. Some principals are stricter than others. The high school I driver for, that assistant principal is wonderful, I give him a referral, I hear, "Yes, Ma'am I will watch this tape and I will take care of it, have a nice day." Not, "I don't have time for these referrals." And I will add that the time I spend viewing a tape if need be, is my time too taken from my husband or my daughter who may want me to go shopping with her. I never tell my prinicpals I don't have time to watch my tapes I just do it and shut up about it.

As mentioned earlier, our schools are all different. I you attend School A and hit another student and your principal has no backbone, you may get your hand slapped and teh bus driver get her butt chewed. But if you attend School C across town, you could get three days off the bus, no ifs ands or buts, and a driver who respects that principal.

Something needs to be done about these issues and excuses have to stop. I raised a daughter in our school system and she knew how to behave properly or else her room was emptied of all of her worldly belongings. It is about time the drivers got some respect and dignity because we have important jobs, maybe not necessarily a college degree but lots of common sense and lots of experience with our own children. These conduct papers parents are a joke to be laughted at if I ever saw one. I stopped reading the bus rules to my child in 3rd grade. And I stopped signing the conduct papers in her 10th grade year because that piece of paper did not mean diddly squat. The code of conduct is a joke and so is the dress code.

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2003 :  11:37:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LJ,

Yes, for sure, I can agree all school buses should have a PA system, for communicating inside and outside the bus. Every school bus should have a camera on board as well, in my opinion.

Your situation represents what can happen when what can be described as an incompetent principal is in charge of childrens safety on your school bus. Makes the bus an unsafe place for kids, you and traffic.

How to deal with that and not lose your job in the process means understanding that enough fellow drivers, equally as fed up as you, can certainly take that principal on a ride through the school system's complaint process.

I would recommend dropping all the personal attacks -- you will lose for sure if you don't -- and start practicing dealing strictly with the lack of support and the lack of effective results from this principal. Would not recommend trying to go up against that principal alone.

Something that might be of use, even to that principal, is a booklet I wrote that looks at school bus safety. Although the booklet is geared toward bus stop safety, there are parts that may be of use in your situation. It is in PDF format and can be download from this link:

http://groups.firstcoastcommunity.com/media/documents/986.1.pdf

I would suggest saving the file -- reads much better through the pages when saved in a file, then reloaded from your hard drive. Saving to a file is also necessary when the server seems to keep crashing your PDF program like it does mine sometimes. (jk)

Edited by - jk on 03/02/2003 1:12:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

bosslady
Advanced Member

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2003 :  07:12:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with John & JK. You have to take action, but do it the right way. Talk to the other bus drivers who are having problems. Years ago when I was driving a bus, we found if we went as a group, first to the T/D and then to the Superintendent with our concerns and didn't make it a personal attack, we got better results. You must go through the proper chain of command. It takes a little longer, but you will get better results. Let them know that the discipline policy needs to be reworked (the idea of a committee of bus drivers, parents, administrators, etc, sounds good.) and definitely let it be known that making a policy isn't going to do any good if the administrators at each school do not adhere to the policy and be consistent. The administrators should be held accountable if the policy is not enforced. The T/D should be given the authority to handle discipline also. It can work well if everyone works together and everyone has proper input and the authority and respect they deserve.
We had a principal a few years ago who did not like to get involved in bus discipline so he left it all up to me. One of the teachers e-mailed me about a child who was picking on and threatening another on the bus. When I took the e-mail to the principal, he called the offending student in for me to talk to.
Later, the students father called & wanted a meeting with the superintendent. The superintendent asked me to be there which I think surprised the father. The father said I shouldn't have been "chewing" his kid out. He wouldn't have cared if the principal had done it, but he didn't think I should be doing it as I had no authority. The superintendent told him in no uncertain terms that I had every right and the authority to disclipline a student. My capacity as T/D gave me the authority and in fact it was part of my job to enforce the discipline on the bus. That attitude from the administration makes enforcing a discipline policy much easier and makes my job and the bus drivers better.

Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2003 :  2:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. The only part we do differently would be we insulate our superintendent from these types of calls - by normally deflecting all parent calls to me. If a parent feels that I was somehow unfair (rarely happens), my boss will gladly meet with them. In that case, I should not be present. My boss always makes decisions drivers and I can honestly live with. No parent has ever gone past this level, however it is theoretically possible. The next step is the superintendent or a Board member.

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  8:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

... My capacity as T/D gave me the authority and in fact it was part of my job to enforce the discipline on the bus. That attitude from the administration makes enforcing a discipline policy much easier and makes my job and the bus drivers better.

Yes. Yes. Continue that authority to the bus driver and issues can be resolved much more efficiently and more effectively. It's scary, do I ever know that, but establishing the bus driver as the authority on the bus solves a multitude of problems. Start with kg, and observe the drivers that are trained well and handle the process well. Let them move on the elementary school level, following John Farr's concepts. And as time passes and the rewards become self evident, open the doors to the middle school level and perhaps even at the high school level. It does not have to be done all at once, but for the safety of the kids it needs to be done. Baby steps, if you must, but take those steps. (jk)

Edited by - jk on 03/20/2003 9:06:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  04:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

they are the ones with the masters degrees and doctorates and they know more than we do.

I know more then he does. I hold a B.A and a PH.D in computer science. LOL LOL LOL
quote:

First of all, all of our buses need PA systems so we can speak with control, and not scream at the top of our lungs.

I would love it if we had the power to suspend kids, I would be driving a half empty bus if that were the case.

Yes I have the P.A system and the power to suspend kids and call parents.

Bluebird can never make it back to the nest, but corbeil allways passes the test.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  05:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes I have the P.A system and the power to suspend kids and call parents.

Bluebird can never make it back to the nest, but corbeil allways passes the test.

Would you talk a little more about bus driver authority at your facility to suspend students from the bus. What are the specifics and how do parents and school staff respond? (jk)

Go to Top of Page

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2003 :  06:16:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Would you talk a little more about bus driver authority at your facility to suspend students from the bus. What are the specifics and how do parents and school staff respond? (jk)

Our policy is as follows: A student will be given 3 write-ups and then a 5 day suspension. If a student brings on items such as knives, illigal drugs, alcahol, lighters, or cigaretts, that student will be automaticly suspended for 10 days and in the case of drugs, the student will be suspended from the bus and school, and will possibly be expelled from school.
If a driver needs to suspend or expel a student from the bus, that driver must call parents and talk with the transportation director.

Go to Top of Page

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  10:23:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy, I wish I had that authority to be instrumental in suspending kids. I have two boys who have gotten a total of 12 referrals each this year. They get taken off the bus for a day or two then back on. Then two days later, in trouble again. Bus drivers in our city are, to put it bluntly, the laughing stock of the school system.

One day when I put my bus in a ditch along the main road I travel, maybe these uppity mucky mucks will do something about it.

Go to Top of Page

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  10:23:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy, I wish I had that authority to be instrumental in suspending kids. I have two boys who have gotten a total of 12 referrals each this year. They get taken off the bus for a day or two then back on. Then two days later, in trouble again. Bus drivers in our city are, to put it bluntly, the laughing stock of the school system.

One day when I put my bus in a ditch along the main road I travel, maybe these uppity mucky mucks will do something about it.

Go to Top of Page

Gary E. Davis

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  09:32:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my district we have student code of conduct that includes the school bus as an extention of the classroom. Any rules not followed carries the same discipline action as if the student was in the classroom. It is my job to review all drivers write ups and ensure that building principals follow the code of conduct.
We have cameras in all buses and that has stopped a lot of violations. Drivers are in charge of their bus and I do hold them responsible for there actions, but also support them 110% when all department rules are followed.
Isn't it funny that teachers are schooled for over 4 years, sit in front of 25-30 kids in a secured class room, take several classes in student management and everyone understands if a teacher has problems with students, but a driver on the otherhand is mostly a single mother with a high school education, no formal training, sits with her back to 78 middle school kids after 7 hours in a classroom and the principal wants to know why the driver has problems. Ask for driver staff development and most districts will not react, our Superintdent does and cares!
Our drivers have the option to attend 4 training sections per month. Two are paid and two are non-paid. Drivers have the right to set appointments with traners if they believe they need additional training in passenger management or any other area of responibility.
In our department EVERYONE, including management, is held accountable for their actions.We have a weekly staff meeting on Wednesday's at 1:00pm to discuss safety concerns or other issues, including bus write ups. Twice a year we hold gripe sessions for everyone to just vent.
We have very little student write up for a urban city outside of Detroit with over 16,000 students. Our students are always placing in state events and are motivated. Our teachers include bus safety in their classrooms and joins in when we do evacations.
I am proud of all our staff members and believe we have some of the best drivers and attendants not only in Wayne County but the state of Michigan.

Gary E. Davis
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  09:53:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes!!!

Davis, you realize of course, the excellent plan on your buses, if true -- cameras on every bus, the collaboration and the accountability -- is a slap in the face to every excuse-making administration, defiant child and hostile parent out there.

Effective security and intervention does require a camera on every school bus.

Very glad to see another school district actually helping their drivers keep their buses safe. Does this school district have a web page? (jk)

Edited by - jk on 04/12/2003 09:57:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Gary E. Davis

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  08:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes,We know what accountability is and at times we think we invented the word! People are starting to understand that drivers know what they are doing! These are well trained professional drivers( ok, we do have a few slugs but thats my job to handle)
And we do have cameras on EVERY BUS even spares! These cameras have proven time and time again that our drivers are right and how they handle themselves at bus stops with upset parents is a positive move. Drivers at first though we were going to use the cameras against them. If anything we do review as a training tool with no action against the driver or attendant. We just want to improve our staff.
http://wwcsd.net
Thanks for the nice words
gary

Gary E. Davis
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  12:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mr. Davis,

Much of what you have been saying in these forums are enlightening, thought through and encouraging. I'm also impressed with how much you can communicate in a small post -- a great talent I often lack.

With all the excellent things going on at your facility I'd thought about featuring your transportation Website. But when visiting the transportation area found it too lacking to do so. All I could find were routes -- no school bus safety promotions, no policies, no parents and kids bus safety information area, nothing else. Did I miss the correct transportation area?

Ideas on how to make a great transportation site can be found by a visit to a Featured Website at:

http://www.geocities.com/2safeschools/fp0303.htm

It is about half way down the page. Vigo County Schools, Terre Haute, Indiana, is currently featured. (jk)

Go to Top of Page

Gary E. Davis

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  06:30:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To: JK

YOU ARE RIGHT ON THE WEB PAGE COMMENT. WE USE A NEWSLETTER FROM THE BOARD OFFICE FOR TRANSPORTATION NEWS. WE ARE WORKING ON IT AND FOR SOME REASON IT TAKING TIME.
THANKS FOR THE NICE WORDS. WE HAVE A GREAT MANAGEMENT AND UNION STAFF AND WE DO A LOT TOGETHER.
GARY

Gary E. Davis
Go to Top of Page

macondriver
Top Member

USA
533 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  4:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Send macondriver an AOL message  Reply with Quote
report him to the school board. it is his job to deal with the children weather it is 800 or 1000, that is what he is paid for. you might remnd him that if the schools and the bus co. do not work together, the problems he has will only grow....you can not let these kids get anything over on you...they have to know that what you say is just what you mean...

Go to Top of Page

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  2:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to go to remedial retaking of discipline with new drivers because of my referrals I wrote. I wonder if some students had to go to remedial "how to behave in school and on the school bus" training.

I was also told in the office that I was a camera police. Isn't that what the camera is for? Securing my safety and that of the students and for backing up any issues? Why have it if we cannot view the tapes with being in trouble? One driver told me on the bus lane one day that before we had cameras, they just took our word for it. And it is there to cover us incase a parent calls and says that we cussed at a student or said something inappropriate. Run the tape and we know if we said it or not.

I truly love my job, if I did not love it, I would quit. I just wrapped up another year of safety without accidents and also got my five-year pin.

I hope that lessons are learned next year and that I can have better understanding of my students. Have a great summer and I still hope to keep these same students after I have gotten attached to them.
Go to Top of Page

Nell65

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  09:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

When I drove a school bus, it depended on which principal you dealt with. I had good and bad ones, just like in any job to deal with. Some of them went out and made sure that rules were inforced, others were there just because they were figure heads.

We had a new principal start one year at a school mid year. He rode the bus incognito, he posed as a "new driver" to learn the route. He rode the bus runs for the first week as the new principal with out the students knowing. Boy were they suprised when he took over the building and to who he actually was. I had a great run that year.

Another year, a principal couldn't be bothered by a couple of boys behavior. Write ups didn't work for anything. The parents all thought that I was being too harsh about their behaviors. Well lo and behold, the last week of school one of the boys proved himself to be the town fool. His mother was waiting at the stop, he had already been fighting with a student before we got there. He got to my bottom step, threw his bag at his mother's car, and came back up to punch the daylights out of the boy seated directly behind me. Guess Mom got the picture then, they were suspended for 30 days for the end of that year and the begining of the next one.

The referals are there as a tool to help us keep our kids safe. But all the players on the team have to function together to make it work right.

Nell
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000