Child killed crossing in front of transit bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  5:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some schools are looking at the money they might save using public transit instead of school buses. The story at the link below points out that, After stepping off, the girl walked around the front of the bus and into the path of the pickup truck, according to Akron police. The bus was stopped in the westbound curb lane on Vernon Odom Boulevard, also known as Wooster Avenue. The truck also was westbound.

Metro buses, unlike school buses, do not have stop signs that require passing motorists to stop.

The story is at:

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/6017979.htm

Edited by - JK on 06/05/2003 6:24:29 PM

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  6:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just another reason to idiotic districts to use our SAFE school buses. Even my district supplements some public buses.

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  10:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There was a district in Michigan that for about 8 years or so used public transit for many of their routes, because of budget issues they realized it was more economical to go back to running all of their routes themselves.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2003 :  07:45:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no doubt that the more kids go to scool on a school bus that the less kids will be injured going to school.

PHW

Child Check For Life
Chock Wheels For Life
Proud American For Life
Go to Top of Page

ZZTalon

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  09:08:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit ZZTalon's Homepage  Send ZZTalon an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone done a study on this? I mean there's stats everywhere but has any study specifically compared the safety record of city transit buses used on school runs to school buses used on the same or similar runs?

http://www.nyschoolbus.com
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  8:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this happened near me It sickens me to hear that a school child died because the school was looking for a way to save a few bucks by not having a SCHOOL bus pick her up or drop her off. I hope schools start waking up to this sickening reality before too many more children are needlessly killed.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000