Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Cummins ISB 6.7 Aluminum in Oil
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TRex

89 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2020 :  1:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit TRex's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anybody seeing aluminum content high in their oil samples? And iron? Got 8 buses so far with aluminum anywhere from 40 ppm to 255 ppm. Iron 82 ppm to 459 ppm. These are the kind of numbers that show up on EPA 2010 MaxxForce DT's. The one that wear the cylinder walls out.

Just throwing this out for some quick feedback. 2 fleets. Not sure on years but probably 2017 and up. FWIW NAV has a letter out that says two oil sample greater than 50 ppm change the EGR mixer box. On the NAV engines The intake and EGR crossover tube needs changed also IMHO. Thanks

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
645 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2020 :  02:36:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alot of dead idle will produce this, soot will stop rings from rotating on pistons and then it starts to scuff the liners

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

TRex

89 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2020 :  10:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit TRex's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So basically what is called carbon packing. Short of a teardown can this be reversed? The one (and only one) problem I have not seen on MaxxForce. With them aluminum source is the intake pieces. Either vibration or acids produced by high EGR flow. The 6.7 is a non sleeved engine correct? So this becomes a block replacement? Or overbore and dry sleeve? BTW Thank you for the reply
Go to Top of Page

Brook Peacock

116 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2020 :  11:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brook Peacock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How can you prevent this from having in the future?
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
645 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  03:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when sitting for more than five minutes crank up idle using the speed set buttons, let the engine cool WHILE running after trips( to properly spool down turbo and dissipate heat from the EGR cooler) ump up oil changes (our fleet 12,000km and change the oil, grease every 3,000km) biggest thing is no dead idle , this is the cause of most failures on EPA 07 and up engines heard of people using SEAFOAM as service tool usually every 3 months or so (EGR engine causes alot of oil contamination) that will eat bearings and rings
6.7 no sleeves correct we have bored them out in chassis CUMMINS offer over sized ring sets also

Edited by - Bluenozer on 12/10/2020 08:31:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  09:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not seeing that in 2016-18 6.7's or '15 MFDT's.

My 6.7 Al numbers are single digit, and the MFDT's are between 10-20. I did have a MFDT spike when it lost an EGR cooler...

We average about 15 mph on the fleet so we try to compensate on the intervals knowing that. We run 5W40. Pacific NW...
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
645 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  11:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10w30 here in NS Canada
EGR engine are the worse, when I was a younger I remember rolling bearings in CATS , DETROITS at a million clicks(not rebuilt either) , since EGR was introduced an engine might get 700,000km and need an over haul lol
Imagine your doctor saying heres a tube that will run from your butt to your mouth and you just eat a little throughout your day, imagine what would happen to your guts, when just setting injector trim files up better you can get the same reduction in GHG politics

Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  6:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha! You made my night... That's a great way of looking at it! And because no one likes hot poop, you can get a cooler half way up the line that explodes every once in a while...
Go to Top of Page

TRex

89 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2020 :  10:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit TRex's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have heard of SeaFoam but not sure how it is applied. Is it a fuel additive? On the EPA 2010 MFDT engine there can be a problem with aluminum coming out of the intake pieces. I think it is called precipitation. Did not effect all engines. Most that failed in warranty got coated (like bedliner) intake pieces. IF your alum ppm is over 50 two samples in a row you might want to look at iKnow 2013372. If caught soon enough process can be stopped. Will save the engine. For at least a while!
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
645 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2020 :  02:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oil additive or spray into intake while engine running are the two bottles I know of, water sprayed into intake also will steam the components to release crud, my biggest issue is the crud goes on top the piston, and the green spray was adapted by Cummins and Detroit also but the failure is the egr causing caustic chemicals that deteriorate metals (heartburn lol)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000