DT466 no output from fuel pump
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brandon

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2020 :  11:56:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, been a while since I've posted so it shows me as a new member I guess. My DT466, vintage 1985, appears to not have any fuel coming out at the injector fuel line when the engine is cranked. I have one fuel line disconnected at the top of one of the ejectors for inspection.

It has a "jerk cable" fuel shut off in the cab that appears to be adjusted properly and throws the fuel shut off lever on the fuel pump all the way down (a little more the 90 degrees) when in the Run/ Fuel ON pushed in position. When I disconnect the cable from the fuel shut off lever, the lever has full unobstructed travel with no internal binding. It actually feels very free moving internally. Hmm.

I've confirmed that fuel is returning to the tank when the primer pump on the fuel pump is activated so fuel is at the pump inlet. I left the fuel cap off just to make sure the tank was venting. There are no other fuel solenoids in this older system.

I found this issue out after I tried to start it after 2 months of sitting, but it did run fine at that time. It will fire on ether, but I only did this to check that it would run if it was getting fuel. Temps are above freezing currently. I have cranked it for about 5 minutes total just to see if the fuel would reach the injectors, but still no joy.

Do these pumps fail outright without any fuel output or could the fuel shut off lever not be engaging properly internally on these pumps? Any advice would be appreciated to help get it running again, Thanks

Edited by - brandon on 12/11/2020 12:04:54 PM

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2020 :  12:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a DT466 1985 I believe it has mechanical injection. If you don't plug it in or use either to start it may not start. As I remember the shut off shuts off the air not the fuel. If it starts on either you may have to use it or plug it in to heat up the block just the nature of them.
Go to Top of Page

brandon

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2020 :  5:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. I use the block heater when it's cold and limited use of ether if its set unused for awhile.

There is no fuel making it from the mechanical Fuel Pump (Bosch?) through the lines to the mechanical injectors. It's basically acting like the mechanical fuel shut off lever on the pump isn't allowing the fuel to pass even though it moves up & down freely.

Could the dual fuel filters be clogged just enough to be able to use the hand primer pump just fine to get fuel to the fuel pump, but then the pump itself not be able to provide enough suction to pull the fuel further into the pump? Is there an internal strainer screen in these old DT466 fuel pumps?

Would I be able to pull a vacuum at the fuel lines at the injectors and be able to pull/ prime fuel through the fuel pump?

The fuel filter aren't that old but I'll replace them anyway to rule them out.

CAT 3116, DT466, Cummins 5.9 ISB
Go to Top of Page

brandon

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2020 :  7:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the Bosch Fuel pump on these older DT466's are similar to the P7100 Bosch pumps on the early Cummins 5.9 (Dodge Ram P-Pumps) There is a lot of info on these out there, just not much on the DT466's, so I'm not sure about all the differences beside not having an electric Fuel shut off solenoid and having or not having an OFV (over flow valve) that could be related to the pump being possibly air locked.

CAT 3116, DT466, Cummins 5.9 ISB
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2020 :  11:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
seen the nut that holds the gear on the pump itself come loose and then the pump does not pump , it would have timing marks on it before removing and of course align them back up to reinstall

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2020 :  02:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the lift pump on the side of the injection pump runs off a cam that is internal to injection pump maybe issue with lift pump seen the plunger break before on newer models with pintle injectors

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2020 :  12:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several days late (I couldn't log in last week,) but have you verified fuel in the fuel filters? When doing fuel filters on these, I always filled the filters up with fuel first so that priming would be easier.

and along those lines- if it has a manual primer knob/handle- is it working? And is it locking closed?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000