Heater/defrost motor replacement.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2019 :  06:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2015 I/C. I haven't had to replace a front heater blower motor in many moons! I remember my last one being a bear as the drivers seat had to come out and the hole heater assy swung toward the center of the bus and then I had to squeeze in behind it to swap the motor out.

Is this still the case?

I have two to replace as of this am so I guess I better dig in.

Any tips or tricks?

Hope everyone has a blessed and restful Holiday break!!!

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2019 :  07:36:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My oldest were built April of 2015, not sure when/if things were different before that.

We find it easier to unbolt the seat from the air pedestal for access. We leave the pedestal bolted to the floor. I recommend replacing the resistor too, since you will be looking right at it. We had that pop about two days after replacing the motor once...that resulted in bad words.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2019 :  10:40:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I prefer pulling the entire seat for ease and access. I pull the cubby/side dash off as well. I unscrew the switch panel and just fish it through the hole, then proceed to pull off the metal side panels. It's not a joyous occasion for sure, but I can typically do one within a couple hours with limited interruptions.
Go to Top of Page

busrench

31 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2019 :  11:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit busrench's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a fleet of 8 of these. I pull the entire seat as the seat bolt nuts are welded in the floor. I coat the bolts with anti-seize for future removal. You'll probably find the wires pulled out of the resistor because the harness is attached to the motor which comes loose and jumps up and down over bumps. The blower housing will actually hit the heater core! I attach the housing better than how it was attached at the factory. Have fun!!
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2020 :  07:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by busrench

We have a fleet of 8 of these. I pull the entire seat as the seat bolt nuts are welded in the floor. I coat the bolts with anti-seize for future removal. You'll probably find the wires pulled out of the resistor because the harness is attached to the motor which comes loose and jumps up and down over bumps. The blower housing will actually hit the heater core! I attach the housing better than how it was attached at the factory. Have fun!!

Bingo!!! Exactly as stated above. I added a couple of push in a hole type zip ties above the blower assy in the plastic plenum to help keep the wires from flopping again. I replaced the resistor assy while I was in there also.

Job was way easier than the last time I had a drivers heater apart. Everything is accessed from a removable front panel instead of trying to slide the whole mess out and work behind it.

Thanks for all the info ya'll!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000