Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Bus cannot shift out of neutral.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HelpMeImProbablyScrewed

4 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  5:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit HelpMeImProbablyScrewed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,
I am new to the site. Hear about it through a google search engine and decided to join.
I purchased a 2012 IC Corp CE Hybrid Bus with 20,320 miles. Yes you read that right. 20,320 miles. I have the title to prove. I have came to pick up the bus, it starts, however, the bus transmission doesn’t shift out of neutral. There are no serious lights on the dash but 1 amber upside down triangle and “check hybrid” in the message center. I was on and off with International and they told me that doesn’t effect/affect the symptoms that I’m having but it seems like they was rushing me off the phone.

So, as I triple check the windows, doors seatbelt being on and closed, I’m attempting to switch gears. (Push button shifter) you see the light moving from N to R, to D, or to Manual. The bus doesn’t change any gears and in the message center the screen stays in “N.” Moreover, as I’m changing gears you hear two high-low repetitive beeps. Many say the tow the bus to a local shop. But the “nearest shop” is some distance away from
Me. The bus is located in Medford, NY. I live in Brooklyn. The people who are willing to check the bus out are in Brooklyn, but the Tow alone costs more then what I paid for the bus. (1700 to tow, but I paid 1400 for the bus.)

So I’m at a crossroad. I have a practically new bus but can’t change gears. Do anyone have any experience with these buses? There aren’t any forums or information that’s open to share how these buses are or any schematics of what to do in the event of. So should I just scrap it? Or try to get my money back? (I acquired this bus through a online bidding website. It stated it runs and drive. It runs but it doesn’t drive.)

So am I worthy of hand? Or am I just like my screen name? “Im Probably Screwed.”

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  04:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
first place to start is the transmission fluid at the proper level
after that we will need more info as to what transmission is in this bus what engine and so forth

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

HelpMeImProbablyScrewed

4 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  08:28:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit HelpMeImProbablyScrewed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeeptjken

first place to start is the transmission fluid at the proper level
after that we will need more info as to what transmission is in this bus what engine and so forth

I scanned and searched the entire engine bay of the bus. No transmission dipstick. The engine oil dipstick is there and the engine oil is still light and somewhat clear. As for transmission make, the panel where you would select the gears are “RVK”? I’m not sure if that’s the actual name or an acronym for something particular. I always thought these buses used Allison, but I guess not. I do have the vin for the bus:

4DRAMAAN0CB327995

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  10:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just ran the VIN, that's got an Eaton-Fuller automated manual, not an Allison. Unfortunately, I can't find any useful info. It does show that it uses the logic of an Allison, so in theory that means it would need to see brake being applied before it will permit a shift. Do you have brake lights when pressing the brake pedal?

FYI there is an open recall for improved engine calibration for your unit.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
808 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  10:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kind of a dumb response but do you have your foot on the rake before you try to shift ? I don't know when it came out but I think there is an inter lock on the transmission ?
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  11:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
perhaps you are learning why you only paid $1400 for this "new" bus....
Go to Top of Page

austindnh

23 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  12:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit austindnh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
check for a slide lock on the emergency door at the bottom if it has one and is in the locked position it will not shift into gear
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  12:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are pushing the brake, and seeing brake lights, I'd suggest contacting the seller. I see that it was owned by the corrections system. It's possible there is some hidden switch that must be activated as an anti-theft device.

The upside down triangle generally means an electrical fault on the diesel buses. Being hybrid, you'll be hard pressed to find people who know much about the thing.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  07:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

If you are pushing the brake, and seeing brake lights, I'd suggest contacting the seller. I see that it was owned by the corrections system. It's possible there is some hidden switch that must be activated as an anti-theft device.

The upside down triangle generally means an electrical fault on the diesel buses. Being hybrid, you'll be hard pressed to find people who know much about the thing.

Sure would be a neat thing to have and fool with though. Especially with low miles. Of course, with it being and IC I'd probably get frustrated pretty fast. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

HelpMeImProbablyScrewed

4 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  12:47:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit HelpMeImProbablyScrewed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

I just ran the VIN, that's got an Eaton-Fuller automated manual, not an Allison. Unfortunately, I can't find any useful info. It does show that it uses the logic of an Allison, so in theory that means it would need to see brake being applied before it will permit a shift. Do you have brake lights when pressing the brake pedal?

FYI there is an open recall for improved engine calibration for your unit.

Oh man that’s what I’m afraid of. Well I haven’t checked because at both times I went to check the bus out myself. If I get the bus to move I’ll definitely bring it to the garage to check out
Go to Top of Page

HelpMeImProbablyScrewed

4 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  12:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit HelpMeImProbablyScrewed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by valleybusman

Kind of a dumb response but do you have your foot on the rake before you try to shift ? I don't know when it came out but I think there is an inter lock on the transmission ?

Yep.
With seatbelt on, all doors closed and windows shut.
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  11:37:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
look at the bottom of each emergency exit door on the latch side and see if there is a safety interlock I have had more then a few with it not fully seated and this causes the engine to run but transmission to remain in neutral

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000