advice 2013 maxdt oil sample high na,k,fe,al,& cr
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nact2001@aol.com

United States
5 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2019 :  1:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Need some advice on purchasing a 2013 international with a maxxforce dt466 that the oil sample analysis came back as follows;
HIGH SODIUM(NA)21, AND POTASSIUM(K)27 INDICATE A COOLANT LEAK. POSITIVE REACTION TO TEST FOR GLYCOL. CHECK FOR CRACKED
CYLINDER HEAD AND/OR LEAKING GASKET OR SEAL. HIGH IRON(FE)433, ALUMINUM(AL)150, AND CHROMIUM(CR)15 LEVELS MAY INDICATE WEAR
FROM CYLINDER LINERS, PISTONS, AND RINGS. CHECK FOR SMOKE, BLOW-BY, AND OIL CONSUMPTION.STOP UNIT IMMEDIATELY IN
ORDER TO CORRECT PROBLEM(S).
There's a lot more parameters and numbers on the sample analysis report but these were the flagged ones.
Any recommendations or information would be helpful with my decision to purchase or not. I would be an end user of the bus and am not a garage or shop that could afford an expensive rebuild. Given the levels indicated would this be minimal wear that with a clean oil change and minor repairs the motor would last or are these high numbers indicating moderate to major internal wear/damage that indicates a rebuild is in the near future? Thanks for any input.

Gearbox

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2019 :  3:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Gearbox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Based on the information you have provided and the apparent lack of reliability of this engine series I would recommend to continue looking.
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2019 :  04:39:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
unless you have unlimited funds to keep it running i would suggest you run far and run fast
Ken

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2019 :  05:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it says MaxxForce, don't buy it. Money pit

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

forbushd

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2019 :  4:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We’ve got a 2012 DT466 that’s eating coolant right now, and it just threw a code for close coil open circuit (injector 5). The tentative diagnosis is EGR cooler failure and injector failure. Service center is saying that Navistar updated the part, so they recommend replacing all 6 injectors. From all indications, the later models of the DT466 are unreliable, and all 3 of our 12’s have had issue after issue starting and running smoothly, especially in cold weather. My recommendation (taking into account my relatively limited knowledge of technician-related issues): If you don’t plan on replacing the engine with a Cummins, forget it.

Before I started working here, I drank, smoked, and used foul language for no reason at all. But, thanks to my job, I now have a reason.
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  06:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With our experience on these engines, if the oil analysis was perfect, I would still run away from it. We own 13 of these, have done 4 inframes and 3 camshafts. All at under 250,000 kilometers.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000