Start Out Contractor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stock2935

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2002 :  9:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just wondering what it would take to start up a contracting business for school busing. I know its very competitive but lets say my business was to be aimed at smaller districts which no more than 50 or so buses mostly trying to stay with 30 or so none less than 10/15. Any information would be great im just really curious on what it would take and how it would go.

Thanks

GM

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  07:30:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well you have to look at the cost of buses, the cost of insurance. How much you would hire your employees for. You have to keep up with the buses, looking for problems, or just catching them as they come.

"Nothing beats a Blue Bird"
Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  11:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it would be a good idea if there were not so many large companies in the field. Companies such as Laidlaw, First Student and Durham usually offer lower rates because of insurance breaks they recieve for large fleets as well as price reduction when ordering buses.

If you have the money and are not afraid to make a loss for a year or so, go for it otherwise let the big guys maintain their field. I am not saying not to try but realize, they bought most mom and pop companies out and the few left are struggling to survive.

It's the little things that count
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  3:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was just wondering what it would take to start up a contracting business for school busing. I know its very competitive but lets say my business was to be aimed at smaller districts which no more than 50 or so buses mostly trying to stay with 30 or so none less than 10/15. Any information would be great im just really curious on what it would take and how it would go.

Stock,

The contractor I rode last school year has about 200 buses, but they started out small, with about 40 buses.

They purchased what they needed for regular runs (the cheapest buses to buy), and bought used buses as spares.

They are now the most successful contractor in my county, and I would also say for New York State, after removing big names like Laidlaw and Atlantic Express.

I would say the key is to get a few buses, say 15, and hire good employees, who do their job with hapiness and courtesy.

Then, runs will increase, and so will profits. As long as you maintain your buses, and keep your employees happy, there shouldn't be a problem.

---------------------

School bus gear, school bus pictures, school bus links, and more!

Check out http://www.schoolbuscentral.cjb.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000