VT-365 Fuel In Coolant
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

turbine

United States
49 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  09:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So we replaced the fuel injectors and cups to fix the problem. then to get rid of the smell in side we replaced all the heater hoses in the bus removed and flushed out the heater cores. i intend to keep flushing out the engine block before reconecting to the body heaters so I dont put the smell back in the bus.
The I/C dealership recomnended Cascade dishwasher soap.
Anybody have success with another product?

Thanks

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  10:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a dish soap to flush coolant system but I could see where dish washer soap would have less suds. I would not think that it should smell in the bus. The system is sealed and the odor should not be able to leak out through any hoses or heater cores.
Go to Top of Page

turbine

United States
49 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  10:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you would think that it wouldnt but The diesel fuel in the coolant soaked into the heater hoses the smell of diesel came right through the hoses when they heated up. Not a fun job to do once let alone 2 times.
Go to Top of Page

degeliaj

18 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  11:02:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit degeliaj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am loosing coolant and suspect an injector cup/sleeve. What kind of special puller will I need once I get to the injectors?
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  12:58:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, it is amazing how you won't smell coolant in a bus, but let fuel get into the heater system and look out!
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  06:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have used cascade with much success. once coolant has migrated in the hose, it has to be replaced for sure.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  7:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The best method of cleaning fuel or oil from cooling system is with a cooling system cleaner such as restore or restore plus made by fleet guard. You have to understand that air bubbles in the cooling system cause cavitation and cylinder wall pitting. This can lead to catastrophic failure of an engine as I have witnessed many times. What does soap do when you mix it with water? It foams! You have bubbles. It is the bubbles we need to keep out of the system.
This is especially critical on newer EGR engines. All air must be kept from entering the cooling portion of the EGR cooler. Ask yourself, how thick is the wall of a cylinder? And how thick is the wall of the EGR cooler? Cylinder wall could be as much as 1/4" thick and they still get holes eaten through them. The EGR cooler can be as little as 1/16 thick. Please be careful and follow strict cooling system maintenance practices.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  08:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the words of wisdom Brad. I had never thought of it like that. The cleaner you are referring to, is it the same as a system flusher or is it different?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  10:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto. Wow, never thought about the EGR cooler vs. bubbles created on a system cleaning like we are discussing. New engines/cooling systems mean new shop proceedures for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  7:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is the flush product. There are other note worthy products out there as well. Follow the written procedures precisely for the product you choose. Go to fleet guard.com and read about the differences between the two products. They are not the same. One is an acid based cleaner and the other an alkaline based cleaner. Also, the delution rate is critical. Remember to take into account the added capacity of all heaters. This can put a full size bus cooling system upwards of ten gallons.
A lot of the EGR system failures we see today are caused when a cooling system gets low on coolant for one reason or another. This is why cooling system maintenance is so critical on today's engines.
If you have to flush a cooling system which has ELC in it and you want to put ELC back into it, it can become very costly since most ELC is ready to use 50/50 mix. If you use water to flush the cleaner out of the system and all you have is 50/50 ready to use coolant to go back in, it is difficult to achieve the proper freeze point. I did find a Zerex red ELC which is 100% which can be used to adjust the freeze point. Rotella advertises one but nobody had it.
This has gotten off the original subject. Perhaps we should start a new topic on recommended cooling system maintenance.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000