Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 thomas 3600 occasionally wanders
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

degeliaj

18 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  12:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit degeliaj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Driver reports that after a tire change bus seems to wander on rough road surfaces. We replaced the ride height adjustment valve for the air bags, but still seems to wander or feel like it actually grabs on the right side and lunges toward the left. Passenger side air bag appears to lean inward a bit, could it be worn our or is there a centering procedure?

All replies greatly appreciated.

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  12:43:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the rear air ride suspension the vehicle weight is carried by the rear axle u bolts, I suspect your u bolts have stretched and things back there are shifting around. The leaning air bag is the clue.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  05:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know this might sound strange but, I've had issues in the past with driver complaints about wander or front end feels loose after a rear tire change. On one bus it ended up being that the new tires purchased were high tread and bus was shorter (47 pass) causing it to feel loose or wander. we put different tires on it all was fine. A couple years ago my tire shop changed/was purchased by another company so I started receiving different brand of recap tires found that when I ran tire pressure above 85-90psi in them, the drivers complained about the way the bus handled, wandered or felt loose especially on rough roads, this was on 65 and 71 pass buses. Since then I been running 85psi in these recaps, buses drive great and seem to get as good or better wear out of tires.
I assumed you had changed the rears but wasn't for sure as you didn't state?

Edited by - slippert on 08/12/2011 05:52:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  1:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find the same things as slippert (although my trucks aren't busses- but they are basically bus frames from IHC)
New tires on the rear with a tread depth over 18/32's, even if only on one side, will cause the rear end to feel like it is moving around while driving (what I found is that after a turn, the rear end feels like it wants to keep going straight- or 'loose off' in NASCAR terminology, lol.) This goes away after 6,000 miles or so, but can be a little scary until then.

I will add that I have not had this issue with any of the recaps that I use. Just brand new tires.

because of this, I am very leary about what tire I will put on the drive axle of my trucks.

:)
Go to Top of Page

degeliaj

18 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  2:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit degeliaj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies, I decided on a whim to check the toe in and found it out by nearly .5 inches. I will fix that on Monday, pull the u-bolts as fastback suggested and get my air bag riding centered under the frame. If that does not work, I will deflate my tires from 100 to 85. Thanks again for the replies.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000