Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2002 DT466 no start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas2

5 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  06:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit dsalinas2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi i am new to this site so hope i am in right place but here goes i have a 2002 international school bus with a DT466 i replaced the fuel/oil manifold gasket and now bus wont start i primed the system like isis said it started up i ran it for bout a minute i shut it off and now it wont restart the hand primer will not get hard it feels like it wont prime i took filter off and pumped it to see if it was workin and it was hope some out there has idea this one is got me going crazy

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  3:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Take a look at that rubber check ball on top of the 'rock catcher'. Replace it if you see any cracks.
Try loosening the banjo fitting at the end of the fuel rail while pumping to purge any trapped air.
It's possible your primer pump has a defective check valve too.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas2

5 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  05:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit dsalinas2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i took the banjo fitting off and pumped and hardly any fuel comes out it trickles out but if i take filter of it does pump but was wondering if it just doesnt work well enough to fill rail?
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  3:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think you have an issue with the check ball, the primer pump or an air leak in the fuel line.

Go to Top of Page

dsalinas2

5 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  05:07:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit dsalinas2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
where would the check ball be located not sure which check ball u are refering to??? thanks for helpin
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  5:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a plastic plug on top of the sediment bowl next to the fuel filter. There is a 1/2" diameter rubber ball inside serving as a check valve. I've replaced a lot of them.

Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  7:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sure you didnt put the gasket on wrong or cross up any lines. easy way to verify the check ball is can you prime it. the check ball blocks off the inlet on pump down strokes.

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  5:14:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, yeah, if you got that manifold gasket on upside down you're never gonna get that rig started.

Go to Top of Page

dsalinas2

5 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2011 :  10:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit dsalinas2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks guys for helpin i checked all my lines they where good the check ball and the gasket was on right i had a friend stop buy he sprayed some penetratin oil in air intake hose it fired right uup it ran ruff for a few minutes then straightened out been good ever since....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000