Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 C7 with ticking noise
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tow Master

9 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  6:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tow Master's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello all!

A few months ago my truck was running on high idle and it sputtered twice then picked back up again. Later that day I was driving it and after pulling out of a red light it sounded like someone was poping pop corn in the motor. I changed the fuel filters and used additive and those symtoms stoped but lately it will often hesitate when pulling out from a stop then pick up and go. It does run fine at high way speeds. Sounds like the idle got ruff as well.

Yesterday the truck developed a tick thats very hard to pinpoint. Its very loud in the cab but quiet outside. Almost sounds like a exhaust leak or cracked manifold. It sounds like its comming from either the rear of the motor or wastegate area.

Any ideas?

Thanks all!

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  12:49:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The fuel pressure regulator is mounted in the back of the cylinder head, could be a low fuel pressure problem or a lift pump problem causing the valve to chatter. check for low fuel pressure.
Go to Top of Page

Tow Master

9 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  12:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tow Master's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks! How do you check the reglator?

I bought the truck with 180k on it and theres 204k now. We ended up adjusting the valves and it went away
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  11:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
test fuel pressure if below 18@ idle or over 50at top rpm or unit wont hold fuel in head over weekend regulator needs repaired.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000