Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2001 Amtran RE w/MD3060
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

busmaster54

United States
21 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  9:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit busmaster54's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have developed a very intermitent shift problem with the MD 3060 trany. It will drop to first and not shift up. The shift consol shows that it will jump back and forth from 5th to 1rst and will not shift up until I press, release, and press the throttle back down in a rapid sequence, it will then shift up to the nest gear. Once we get to 4th it goes away. Allison has replaced the consol, and the computer, problem went away since last summer, now its back. Any ideas what the problem might be.

jperkins

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  4:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
busmaster what codes is the transmission giving you .You can push both arrow buttons at the same time with the key on engine running or not running and it should flash out a code on the shifter display like D1 35-00 then press mode button and release will go to D2 and can press mode button again up to D5 and post all codes and I will see if I can help you John
Go to Top of Page

busmaster54

United States
21 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  7:54:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit busmaster54's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have done the scan as have the dealer and no codes show up. Today it acted up again, and as I played with it I could get it to shift up one gear at a time if I would accelerate to about normal shift rpm and then decelerate and accelerate quickly. The numbers on the consol will flash between 5,1,2,1,2,3,4,5 etc. Once we get to 4th it seems to shift to 5th fine and will work ok until the next stop, then it may or may not act up again, its been very intermitent. Wheather and conditions do not seem to make a difference. I feel its electrical in nature but not sure where to go from here. The Allison shop is aware of the problems and is trying to figure this out.
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  03:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would start by removing trhe electrical plug and, using a good electrical spray cleaner, thouroughly clean the posts and and plugs to see if it is a connectivity issue. We've had several that were completly "fixed" after such a problem.
Good luck!

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

flyboy

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  09:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit flyboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had a Amtran RE with the MD3060 and it had some trans issues. Found out it was the wiring and harness connector at the rear cannon plug connector. It seems the wires corrode and break off right next to the connector and give you intermittent power to the circuits.Check the wires and the connectors to the trans ECU too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000