Snow Removal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

turbine

United States
49 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  10:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My interest is What are school bus fleet managers doing to remove the snow/ice from the top of there busses? We here have been calling in a "snow crew" made up of drivers that come in early. We use brooms to get the hoods and sides then drive the busses through a set of ladder stands on each side of the so that the top of the bus can be swept off. It works but it is labor intensive with 75 busses.
The director and i just recently looked at a system installed at a dist by a Canadian company that consisted of 4 high pressured blowers mounted on a frame over the bus. it looks OK but big $$$$.
I wanted to insert pictures but i am unable to figure out how . Ha Ha.

Thanks

Turbine

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  4:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/6YC66

I've used this with a lot of success, I'm the only person on our "snow team" for a fleet of 10 buses. Usually takes me about 1-1.5 hours to do them.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  4:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Roof Rake is what our drivers use. Depending on when the storm ends, it might not get done until after their morning runs.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  5:54:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We have a 2 foam rakes for the hoods, and 2 plastic roof rakes like the one in Phil's link for the roofs. We have three people on our snow team for a fleet of 32 buses.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  06:43:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get to drive the John Deer around, drivers do their own bus.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

flyboy

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  09:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit flyboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is one of those issues that will drive Transportation departments crazy. We have over 200 buses of all types and sizes and not only that but they are not all stored at one location. Even if you get the snow and ice off what do you do with it? Won't be long and you'll have a pile of stuff on both sides of the bus that will keep you from getting close enough to get the snow off the top.The workers comp issues and workplace safety are right there to bite you if you use drivers to clean the snow. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Why isn't the driver responsible to follow at a safe distance to avoid snow and ice blowing off the roof? Everybody wants safe buses and cars but nobody want to train safe drivers.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  10:10:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of our drivers drive their buses home. (security, route starts by their home, etc.) Our tecnique for removal is: 1)start bus. 2)clear windshield of ice/ snow 3)let warm up as needed 4)Drive to first stop of route 5)continue on route 6)if not clear repeat steps 4 & 5 after school lets out. I couldn't resist guys. It just seems such a waste of money to pay a "crew" to come in early to do this. So yea flyboy, I guess I'll second that!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

L.J.D

United States
173 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  11:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have 3 drivers come in and help they start all the buses. while they are doing that i clean the center of out lot then they back them up and i clean where they were parked. the drivers then park those and back out the next row then i clean there. we had about 12 inches of snow 2 weeks ago and 3 drivers and me did it in about 2 1/2 hours or so.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000