Blue Bird Vision & The cold weather
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnnieoh1

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  06:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a problems with Blue Bird Visions (2004,2008) not starting when it is cold for a period of time (10 to 20 degrees for 3-4days) and yes they are plugged in...? I have a large fleet and all these Visions won't start and if we try to jump them they still won't start...
Ant suggestions?

L.J.D

United States
173 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  08:35:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I added a 3 rd battery to all of my visions and they start much better in the cold
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  10:08:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do they crank over good? If not I agree with L.J.D but if you have the great big ugly batteries that come with some BB's you will be doing no good by putting an extra battery in. In fact there is not room for another one.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

johnnieoh1

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  12:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2004 BB Vision just won't start with the CAT engine. 2 batteries or three we tried it all. If we attempt to jump start the Visions during cranking the starters will burn up!!! I don't beleive that we are the only district with this problem.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  1:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our Visions with CAT's in em don't start in the cold weather. We have two of em and they're 2005 models. Crank, crank, crank, that's about all they do. They have gotten so bad that the mechanics will park em in the heated garage at the end of the day so they start with no problems in the morning.

I'll show you my air brakes if you show me yours.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  1:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard complaints of the same exact problem, not sure what the fix is, but one of the people I know blames it on the Vision's electrical system, not the Cat motor, since identical motors in Freightliners start on the same conditions.

Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  1:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just for a thought, Whats the cetane rating of the fuel? I've seen low cetane fuel make a hell of a difference in starting. Some of this crap we burn its a wonder if it would even start a brush fire. (Gee I hope the "Green people" dont read this!) If its up around 50 cetane or better I've had my old 466's with cold soak on a weekend no plug in, start at -10.

39-40 Cetane, lucky at +20 to +25 with no plug in.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  2:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told that the cold weather problems the vision has are the fault of the multiplexer. As they don't really care for cold weather. Not sure how true that is....!

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Edited by - bluebirdvision on 03/05/2009 2:38:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  4:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a recall to install a check valve into some of those early C7 models. Something about oil draining back from the high pressure system caused very hard starts in cold if memory serves. It's been awhile, so I'm not 100% on the details...might be worth a look though.
Go to Top of Page

enokradeht

United States
27 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  8:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

There was a recall to install a check valve into some of those early C7 models. Something about oil draining back from the high pressure system caused very hard starts in cold if memory serves. It's been awhile, so I'm not 100% on the details...might be worth a look though.

Same here but with the all american's. Only glitch is we don't plug a single one in, there's no outlets(smart administration). What I've found to help is that make sure the intake heater relay is up to snuff. And depending on temp in your area lowering the oil viscosity for the cold months. Cat gives a chart in the user manual for this. We change the problem childs to a lighter oil for about a couple months seems to help get the iap up there faster.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

flyboy

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  05:39:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit flyboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey if you have a problem with Cats not starting did you check the intake heater and solenoid? Our solenoids fail after 2-3 years. If the intake heater is working that engine will usually start. They also had a problem with the crankshaft sensor which will cause extended cranking.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  06:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting forum I thought maybe I had an isolated problem but from what I am reading sounds like a real issue. I hate cold mornings because I basically am having to grind the starter and hold the accelator to get it to turn over. I in the beginning waited for the "wait to start" light to completely go out but I found with time that takes longer and longer.So am I understanding correctly then there is no simple solution.I like the bus and I know the way I am cranking it is not good in the long run but plugging it in did no good either so is it just a matter of hoping for better temps. Thanks for the previous post from all very helpful or insightful info a least.

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  08:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Do they crank over good? If not I agree with L.J.D but if you have the great big ugly batteries that come with some BB's you will be doing no good by putting an extra battery in. In fact there is not room for another one.

I agree, the beta Visions had only one 8d or two c31 series. Bump up with another battery. I converted all our older Visions to 3 batteries, and the 200a alternator conversion. Leece Neville causes phantom electrical issues on these old ones as well. The upgrade has made a difference. Also if you have a battery shutoff switch check those connections on the back. They get corroded from exposure to the elements. Hope this helps. Rob

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

flyboy

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  08:44:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit flyboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I forgot to ask if you were experiencing a crank but no start or a no crank no start.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000