Lug nut indicator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  12:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking at a tractor-trailer the other day and noticed something on the trailer's lug nuts. I asked the driver about it and he said that it was a device to indicate loose lug nuts. It was florescent/neon green, and had a 12? point hole that fit over the lug nut and a point on the other end that almost touched the adjacent lug nut, pointing counter-clockwise. The drver said that he didn't like them because they easily became out of alingment.

Would this be somthing worth doing for a School Bus?

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  2:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a district here in NY that put these on every bus in the fleet. You can tell when a lug nut is loose when the tab moves in another direction. So far they are very happy with the system.

Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  6:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i noticed ny transit is usingthem also

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  5:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you need them, you need new mechanics and drivers.

Just my opinion, because there is NO excuse for a wheel nut EVER comming loose!

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  05:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've seen these as well! I saw them the other day on a contracted Thomas EF. They were tear drop shaped and neon green, each aligned to point at the neighboring lugnut. I had seen them once before but didn't realize what they were since the first time I saw them they were chrome. It was on an FS-65 from the same fleet. As much as I like chrome, I thought those little tear drop shapes were awfully tacky...why not get real chrome lug nut covers. Well, now I know what I was seeing.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  2:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Its like ModMech says, If you put em on right they don't come loose. No need for em. Just a gimick to make some bucks from someone who doesn't know better.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  3:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Barker

Its like ModMech says, If you put em on right they don't come loose. No need for em. Just a gimick to make some bucks from someone who doesn't know better.

Especially not necessary with steel disc wheels. Aluminum......?
Go to Top of Page

03CV200
Top Member

United States
740 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  5:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit 03CV200's Homepage  Send 03CV200 an AOL message  Click to see 03CV200's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree, if the lug nuts are properly tightened, there should be no need for them. Not to mention they look like crap.
Here's a link to the company who makes them: www.wheel-check.com

-Dave

Edited by - 03CV200 on 03/04/2009 5:27:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  5:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think these can hurt, considering how inexpensive they are. Never know when some creep can tamper with the lugs and a driver can miss it in the pre trip.

Go to Top of Page

03CV200
Top Member

United States
740 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  6:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit 03CV200's Homepage  Send 03CV200 an AOL message  Click to see 03CV200's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
True, this brings to mind the bus accident that happened in my area last year, when the wheel fell off. Maybe if it had these on, that wouldn't have happened.

I've also seen these on several trucks used for gas drilling, which I can understand since these trucks spend a lot of time off road in harsh conditions which could jar lug nuts loose.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  7:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich

I don't think these can hurt, considering how inexpensive they are. Never know when some creep can tamper with the lugs and a driver can miss it in the pre trip.

I think these doodads would be more likely to be tampered with than the lugs themselves, or the some sicko could loosen the lugs and readjust the indicators.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.

Edited by - origcharger on 03/19/2009 7:01:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  08:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been doing this almost 30 years, even as a GREEN tech who knew almost nothing, I NEVER have had a lugnut come loose, NEVER.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for a lugnut being loose, let alone more than one to allow the wheel to come off!

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000