Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Bluebird Stepwell
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

onion

United States
2 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  08:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit onion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello out there! I live in the Detroit area and run a youth ministry that transports kids to and from church, sports, choir, etc. We have to get D.O.T stickers on the buses every year. I am being told we need a new stepwell and steptreads on three buses. I am not going to argue that we need them, its just that this is going to be very expensive. My question is, does anyone know where to get these things? I ask because the repair shop that did the DOT is telling me over $1500.00 for parts alone. I have had them look at 2 buses so far and both need them (they say). I have 2 more buses, and to be honest, the steps look worse if you ask me. Any help will be appreciated.

onion

United States
2 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  08:31:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit onion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, they looked at 3 buses so far and I still have 2 more.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  11:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If ya have the body numbers just call your bluebird dealer for a parts quote. There are several bluebird service centers around as well. I am in Indiana, 812-874-2216

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

John M. Keigher
Advanced Member

USA
441 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  7:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit John M. Keigher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can also call Midwest Transit Equipment, Inc.

We have a location in Eaton Rapids, Michigan and sell parts for all makes and model of buses.

Contact us toll free Parts Hotline (866) 487-9782

or visit us on the web at www.midwesttransit.com
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  08:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If the step well is rusted severely, you will have to replace it. If it is just the step treads, they can be replaced without the step well. Depending on how bad the step well is rusted it may be possible to have it patched. Don't skimp on safety however. If you decide to have it replaced make sure it is done properly. It is not an easy job. I have done many in my shop. i can usually have one out in a day and the new one in in another day. We usually figure $1700 to do it complete and properly. that is parts and labor.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  12:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blue Bird stepwells, even the "stainless" ones are awful. Best thing to do when taking delivery of a new Bird is to take off the steptreads and spray pickup truck bedliner material onto the stepwell. Also spray this underneath. Works like a charm, many districts in my area have done this.

Go to Top of Page

Nick
Advanced Member

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  1:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Nick an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich

Blue Bird stepwells, even the "stainless" ones are awful. Best thing to do when taking delivery of a new Bird is to take off the steptreads and spray pickup truck bedliner material onto the stepwell. Also spray this underneath. Works like a charm, many districts in my area have done this.

That's actually a good idea, why don't they (all of the Big 3) do this at the factory?

IC the future, and it is bright.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  3:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same reason they don't spray the inside of the sheet metal panels...the product would be too good and last too long.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000