New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  2:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There has been a topic come up on another thread about student windows. I am talking about on large type c buses with the windows that have a sash that has two latches that are operated with your fingers. In recent years there seems to be a problem with the latches not staying latched. There are several methods of closing them that have been discussed. There is nothing wrong with discussing those methods again here, but the underlying problem with the windows are they will not stay up on both sides once you start using the bus on a route. I am talking from about 2003 on. It seems that Blue Bird was the last company to have a problem but I think they are all having the problem now. Although I have not had much experience with the new Thomas design. All comments welcome, except I would like to see them stay polite.

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  3:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My post from the other thread:

Open the window fully before closing it (if you just push up from the first notch you may not be using enough force), and hold the latches in while closing. Once it's closed, push the latches out to make sure they fully engage (sometimes they get hung up and only look like they're latched).

Most manufacturers are now buying their windows from a common supplier, Spectal. They are responsible for the design of the latches.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  3:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our windows do the same thing on most all models as they age. The reason, according to our mechanics, is from closing the windows by pushing them closed from the window frame rather than using the latches. Some of us closed the windows from the outside, again pushing them shut using the window frame. Apparently it damages the latches and tips of the latches over time. We have a newer bus that started doing the same thing. The driver was closing the windows from the outside. The rest of the newr buses work fine. If this is the problem someone else that is actually a mechanic or factory rep ought to be able to confirm this. (jk)

Free customizable brochure (MS Word template) that can be reproduced and given to parents - "The seven highly effective steps to keeping your child safe" - Click Here for Link

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library
Post Check, Child Left Behind, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire, Danger Zones and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Edited by - JK on 12/19/2008 5:20:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  3:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have to check our latch ends. It's quite a job sometimes to get the window out and back in though. I know the latches are plastic on the inside where your finger goes. Are they plastic at the latching point? Maybe that's the reason that they are breaking. I know the windos on my ICs just feal weak when they are latching. They are not like the old Blue Birds that had a sharp cracking sound every time they went by a notch in the slide.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  5:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't speak for Blue Bird or IC, but when Thomas switched window design in the mid 90s it was dowhill fast. They used to have metal latches with plastic actuators, they went to all plastic, and while MUCH easier to change, you had to change them far more often than the old design.

Chalk it up to cost cutting. Build it cheap!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  5:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about the new C2 Thomas?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  6:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2006 C2s that I drive are notorious for falling-down windows, as are the '06 Bluebirds. Our '02-'04 ICs are ok, the '99-'01 Freightliners are OK, as are all the '89-'94 Internationals.

It's frustrating here in Florida because the A/C doesn't cool as well if so many windows are partly open.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  7:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel for ya! The A/C is working real good here. It's about 5 degrees and the wind is blowing 30 mph. I'll bet some of these other guys A/C works better than mine right now! Just joshing with you. Thanks for your input. I have a '05 IC that is bad and second only to that Thomas that I was refering to earlier. I'm not sure what these companies are thinking about going to an outside supplier when the product is so inferior. I know it is a cost factor but you would think that they would scream about the problems that everyone is having.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  09:45:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its called marketing...they want to sell parts! Someone said "Hey guys! if we make this little thingy out of plastic it will wear out faster! AND if we make it easy to change they won't ***** about it as much!!"... "Kudos to me!" "Accounting will love me and....WHERES MY BONUS!!"

Merry X-mas guys! I'm outta here for...8 days I believe.. need the break!

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

Spencer

United States
188 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  08:48:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only way we get the ones on my amtran taht I ride to stay latched are by slamming them. The New CEs we have close just fine and always have.

New School Bus Site:
www.schoolbuslover.smfnew.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  2:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbird66

Its called marketing...they want to sell parts! Someone said "Hey guys! if we make this little thingy out of plastic it will wear out faster! AND if we make it easy to change they won't ***** about it as much!!"...

They haven't met me yet
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  1:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I miss the old Ward latches

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

hastings

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  1:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit hastings's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have found that along the window "rail", where the latches go into the frame, there are small "cut-outs" in the rail that need to be bigger. They are made barly big enough to fit the latch in. Get your mechanics to walk through the bu with a hammer and punch and make the holes larger. If I lost you, just look and it will be obvious.

Matt Hastingshttp://www.michiganbusparts.com/
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  3:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hastings brings up a very good point...I had forgotten about that! Our Thomas dealer did that to a few of our FS65s a few years back because of latching issues and it helped quite a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2023 :  08:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Considering buying or selling a used school bus? It’s important to thoroughly inspect the condition of the windows and ensure they meet the necessary safety standards. https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/10011948/tips-on-buying-and-selling-used-school-buses
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000