SAHR
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jason952

United States
10 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  1:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone having trouble with these I have replaced 3 in 1 month because of external fluid leak

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  6:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad I don't have any................

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  6:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious what is SAHR. I guess I don't have any if I don't know what it is.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  03:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A SAHR cannister is a "spring applied hydraulic released" cylinder which mounts on the left rear frame rail and applies the driveline park brake via a short cable on IC buses with full power hydraulic brakes. Loosely, it operates like an air brake chamber...the spring applies the brake and hydraulic pressure from the system releases it. It is also tied in to the ABS system and if it is applied in an emergency situation, it brings the bus to a safe controlled stop using the ABS. We had a good bit of problems with SAHR's when they were first released, but following the recall which changed the way they where wired, have been fairly reliable. We have 32 of these buses with only limited problems with the SAHR cannisters. We have never had one leak yet. Our biggest problem with the system is the pumps in the main HCU unit on buses built prior to Sept. 06. The toughest failure for us to work through though is when a pump MOTOR fails in the HCU on one of these earlier units. If it is the front pump motor that quits on a run, there is no pressure supplied to the SAHR and therefore the bus can't be moved. Then, after towing it to the dealer, getting Wabco to cough one of these HCU units up is like pulling teeth. They send the dealer through a bunch of extra steps and lengthy phone call holds to ensure that it really is the HCU unit (they are expensive). The best news is that on these earlier units, Wabco has extended the warranty on the pumps and the HCU units from 3 to 5 years due to some early design glitches. Take some time to play with this brake system on a slippery parking sometime. You will really be amazed at the function of the traction control feature and the anti-lock functions. It is no longer possible to have any fun at all spinning or sliding these units in the snow! They work beautifully.
Go to Top of Page

wistech

United States
48 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  04:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit wistech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had a few where the big nut on front of SAHR can was loose from the factory where the supply line goes into it. I heard the HCU assembly was $3000 and not available at my dealer yet. Get this...2 Years ago the park brake switch on dash malfunctioned and gave a false signal to SAHR can and applied the park brake at 65 mph loaded with passengers going down highway. The bus couldn't get off highway when it locked up! Makes me long for having a manual cable again. Guess it's o.k. when it works properly.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  09:36:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do they put this crap on busses. I saw one before and it reminded me of the complicated system used on RVs by gm/workhorse P42 chassis. They fail also, usually destroying the drum, shoes and hardware. Cable stretching issuse, missing return springs, you name it. POS from day 1. Do yourself a favor and order air brakes next time. :)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  12:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bassman

It is no longer possible to have any fun at all spinning or sliding these units in the snow! They work beautifully.

Sure it is! Just pull an ABS sensor loose and piss off the computer! Wonder what happens then
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  6:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They just need an ABS/Traction control disable switch! Then when the system is unhelpful/screwing up an attempted maneuver or just not working properly, it can be disabled.

Buses are not a way of life, they are life
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  09:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

Why do they put this crap on busses. I saw one before and it reminded me of the complicated system used on RVs by gm/workhorse P42 chassis. They fail also, usually destroying the drum, shoes and hardware. Cable stretching issuse, missing return springs, you name it. POS from day 1. Do yourself a favor and order air brakes next time. :)

Doesn't Navistar own Workhorse also? Or is the modek your talking about a pre navistar one?

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Edited by - dem84skeeprollinup on 05/07/2008 09:57:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  2:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1996 and up. It was called "autopark"

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  4:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is anyone having problems with the elec. sillynoid on the sahr units, out of 9 units we have replaced 4 so far
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  03:36:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had only limited problems on our 08's. More problems before the recalls were done on the older ones. What year of buses do you have?
Go to Top of Page

wistech

United States
48 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  03:57:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit wistech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wright11-- we have replaced about 10 of these already. You are talking about the cut-off coils, correct? They seem to "blossom" from the road salt.
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  6:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all, bass they r 06-07,,yes the coils
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000