Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  4:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Maine State Police grilled our buses today.... one day's notice ...thankyouverymuch.

No out of service gigs.... but a lot of fuss over the lack of 'green tags' on our bio kits...... Every year there's something new......

I wish they'd send us some advance notice on this picky stuff.

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  2:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are "green tags"?
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  4:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A little green plastic seal to show that the kit hasn't been opened. Kinda like a fire extinguisher seal.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

whe8913
Advanced Member

United States
301 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  8:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what if it's been opened? You'll have to open it if you need the stuff anyway and it's probably a good idea to open it at least every once in a while to make sure nothing's dried out, rotten, etc. I just can't stand nitpicky things like this.

I can understand the fire extinguisher tag because it actually keeps the pin from falling out and discharging the extinguisher.
Go to Top of Page

skydiverbill

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  04:01:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In florida, if they have been opened then they have to be inspected and sealed and signed off so next month all you have to do is look for the seal. Do you guys have a state inpection manual?

gravity powered fun from 13,000 feet= skydiving
Go to Top of Page

Davidrte9

United States
98 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  05:05:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kind of the same deal in Michigan. That is why most of the drivers carry their own band aids.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  06:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, I give our drivers extra bandaids.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

skydiverbill

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  07:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we tape some from a open box to the 1st aid box, seems to help

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  2:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Indiana State Police sent me a letter that states. The "Noise Suppression" switch must not have any delay. If the switch doesn't kill everything immediately they will put the bus out of service. This is units with the "Bus Radio". Luckily I don't have anything in my fleet with this. Just giving you guys the heads up. Might wanna check it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Bus9709
Top Member

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  6:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bus9709's Homepage  Click to see Bus9709's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davidrte9

Kind of the same deal in Michigan. That is why most of the drivers carry their own band aids.

Same here in our county.
Go to Top of Page

ecschoolbustech

United States
20 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  04:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We started Tuesday, New inspector this year. Only real problem is dealing with what the new inspector says is not ok compared to the previous one. Speaker location issues, park brake test rpm alot higher than before. Not saying either one is wrong. Just wish everyone was on the same page.

Edited by - ecschoolbustech on 04/04/2008 04:26:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  6:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you do a park brake test on an IC with full power brakes?
With the park brake applied, engine power is reduced. :)
Go ahead and try it, hold the throttle to the floor, you won't do any harm.
makes the park brake look "strong like bull"!
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  03:23:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just don't hold the throttle for long, and watch the transmission temp while doing this.

Buses are not a way of life, they are life
Go to Top of Page

04ICCE

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  05:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit 04ICCE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whe8913
I can understand the fire extinguisher tag because it actually keeps the pin from falling out and discharging the extinguisher.

i do all of the safety inspections in our school, fire extingushers, maps, exit lights, first aid kits, radios, AED's ect. aside from holding the pin it is also a different color each year so the fire marshal can see that it has had a yearly service by a certified tech.
i also check the safety gear on the buses but have never sealed the first aid kits or the bio kits.
since i have been doing the safety inspections it has puzzled me that a violation with the fire marshal is required to be corrected with in 30 days. if it can stay for 30 more days and endanger somebody then why not longer. i feel it should be corrected instantly. i am refering to something like a teacher has an extension cord instead of a protected power strip, or christmas lights stapled up in the classroom.

Scott
Wakefield Country Day School
Rappahannock county VA
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  12:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are checking expiration dates on bee sting and iodine now! WTF else can they pick at?

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  4:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I know...lets yank all the seat foams and make sure none of the seams are starting to seperate!

Or maybe they can fabricate some standard as to exactly how fast the air doors have to open and close and it must be within 1/100th of a second to pass.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 06/25/2008 4:43:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

skydiverbill

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  09:14:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Oh I know...lets yank all the seat foams and make sure none of the seams are starting to seperate!

Or maybe they can fabricate some standard as to exactly how fast the air doors have to open and close and it must be within 1/100th of a second to pass.

here is our manual

http://www.fldoe.org/transportation/pdf/inspectionmanual.pdf

Go to Top of Page

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  3:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife had to get certified in first aid. The man who did the training laughed at first aid kits. He called them boo boo kits. About all that they are good for is a kid who scratched their knee on the way to the bus. Now they want to seal them? That is about the dumbest thing that I have ever heard.

High School Friend-"Hey! How are you! Well, I guess you can't be doing too well, you're driving a school bus."
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  4:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good manual, read through it today. Too bad they didn't spell out exactly what is too slow or too fast for the doors!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  08:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found out another thing about the "Noise Supression switches. They MUST be on/off. NOT Momentary. GODS! What next!

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  07:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I need to bring donuts to inspection instead of my NWA cd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiX7GTelTPM I'm kidding guys.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 07/17/2008 07:19:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  1:16:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have they taken a micrometer to the floor covering to determine if it is excessively worn yet? How about some sort of ultrasound to make sure the body builders didn't skimp on the structural adhesive at the joints?
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  3:49:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, floor coverings.......

All at the discretion of the inspector.

One of our old spares passed with flying colors one day and 6 months and 350 miles later failed due to worn step plates.

Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  06:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During our inspections, the troopers have a lot of fuss over the light in the step well. They failed a few buses because they weren't working. To my suprise, most of the burnt out lights were on the 2008 Visions we have.

I'll show you my air brakes if you show me yours.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  12:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya I put the brass base bulb in. They put the tin base bulb in from factory, and it fits loose.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  3:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had our annual yesterday, 34 busses... zero defects!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  4:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AWESOME JOB!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  2:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got all ours through, 25 routes, 6 temps, and 8 last minute customer busses.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Jerred

United States
73 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  11:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Jerred's MSN Messenger address  Send Jerred a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Can someone answer me a question? Would a 2006 IC CE pass inspections if it has transmission problems, shorts out, has rust on the side, injector problems, and about 40,000 miles on it? I would hate to see my CE be done for, but I really want it to be fixed and make sure that it is safe to get me to school, so that is why I was asking do you think it would pass or not.

So, I'm not as I seem...ok...just accept me. Just try to.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  05:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on your inspector. Around here they don't drive the bus, so the transmission problem would go undetected. By "shorts out" what exactly do you mean? If it did something odd while they were inspecting it, I would say it would be written up.

Rust--if it's just surface rust (which it probably is at this point) it'll pass. Once you get perforation of the steel, or it's obvious that a loss of strength has occured, it would get written up.

Injector problems--again they don't drive em here...could go unnoticed unless it did something odd while they were there.

So why aren't your garage folk taking this thing back to the dealer for some good ole "you are the only one having this problem"? If you fight em long enough and talk to the right people, you can get this bus fixed!

If you feel that this bus isn't safe--you do not have to drive it--that's the law. But yeah, I know how the real world works. Good luck to ya my friend.
Go to Top of Page

Jerred

United States
73 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  06:19:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Jerred's MSN Messenger address  Send Jerred a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Thomasbus24, by shorting out, the strobe, dome, step wall, and crossing gate all short out.

Rust, a tractor hit the bus about a year and a half ago and left holes and a long scrape down the side of it. Now it is rusting.

Injector problems, when just idling at times the bus will throw out a lot of soot in the air. While driving it, it is a lot worse.

The TD isn't sending it back probably 'cause he does not care. My driver told me that as long as the bus will start and move, it is on route. I have also yet to see a bus leave our shop to be fixed at the dealer. Our '08 C2s messed up with in two weeks. They "fixed" the doors and put it back.

If I was the driver of my bus, even though somethings still would've happened to it, the ones that could've been prevented would've been prevented. The drivers here think that, "It's not my bus. I do not have to fix it. So why should I care?"

Go to Top of Page

Spencer

United States
188 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  7:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 9sb19

Thank you Thomasbus24, by shorting out, the strobe, dome, step wall, and crossing gate all short out.

Rust, a tractor hit the bus about a year and a half ago and left holes and a long scrape down the side of it. Now it is rusting.

Injector problems, when just idling at times the bus will throw out a lot of soot in the air. While driving it, it is a lot worse.

The TD isn't sending it back probably 'cause he does not care. My driver told me that as long as the bus will start and move, it is on route. I have also yet to see a bus leave our shop to be fixed at the dealer. Our '08 C2s messed up with in two weeks. They "fixed" the doors and put it back.

If I was the driver of my bus, even though somethings still would've happened to it, the ones that could've been prevented would've been prevented. The drivers here think that, "It's not my bus. I do not have to fix it. So why should I care?"

I agree with you exactly Jerred that is exactly what the mechanics do to all the little things that go wrong on the buses here that is why mine is the the shape that it is.

New School Bus Site:
www.schoolbuslover.smfnew.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Jerred

United States
73 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  3:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Jerred's MSN Messenger address  Send Jerred a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an update on my '06 CE.

Still shorting out. But she said that the strobe was working...until she cut it on and the beepers went off and the gauges all lights up. Crossing gate is working...slowly but going out and coming back in fully. step wall light is still shorting out.

Injectors, still bad. Worse than they were. With us going on a high way that was flat, doing a steady 60....she's not pumping the gas pedal at all...we had nothing but soot out of the back end. Then it was worse if she'd take her foot out while driving and then put it back in or the bus downshifted.

The transmission seemed perfect. Didn't seem or feel like it missed a beat.

Rust...same old rust.

They did seem to replace that cracked windshield in my bus as well. But it looks like it's plexiglass instead of regular glass.

All I have to say is my poor bus.

Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  6:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OOS criteria vary from state to state but the windshield, crossing gate and step light issues are pretty common OOS gigs. I doubt that they would install a plexiglass windshield. It would be illegal.

Oodly, the cops could care less how the engine runs or how the transmission shifts. They aren't 'safety' issues.

I would think that bus would be OOS until those other problems were resolved.

Rust on an '06? You haven't seen rust until you've looked underneath our '92 IH 3800/Thomas. Heh, that bus is older than you are.

Edited by - IBTMech on 08/28/2008 6:54:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jerred

United States
73 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  2:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Jerred's MSN Messenger address  Send Jerred a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBTMech

OOS criteria vary from state to state but the windshield, crossing gate and step light issues are pretty common OOS gigs. I doubt that they would install a plexiglass windshield. It would be illegal.

Oodly, the cops could care less how the engine runs or how the transmission shifts. They aren't 'safety' issues.

I would think that bus would be OOS until those other problems were resolved.

Rust on an '06? You haven't seen rust until you've looked underneath our '92 IH 3800/Thomas. Heh, that bus is older than you are.

Yeah that '92 is slightly older than me. I am almost 15.

No...I said that it looked to be replaced with plexiglass, I forgot to say that it was the small piece of glass that rounds off the windshield to the side of the bus. But I do not know. If I can get alone time on my bus, I'll see if it is. But it really looks like it.

The step wall light still isn't working. I liked it when it did. But I am ok with out it. Wish my driver would send it in to be fixed.

My crossing gate has been back to normal and back up to its "new bus" speed. I like walking around it again and seeing it out. I just hate seeing it hit the back of other buses.

Just wondering....what is the OOS?

Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  7:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We inspect our own busses here. Each mechanic has a state inspectors license which is valid for performing state inspections on all vehicles.The state police issue these licenses and a multiple choice written test has to be taken every 5 years or so. Our garage is entirely for school vehicles so we don't perform inspections on private vehicles but the license is the same as if we did. During our summer maintenance work we affix a sticker to the windshield which is good for a year.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000