New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jerred

United States
73 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  1:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Jerred's MSN Messenger address  Send Jerred a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the First Student guy

Out Of Service.

Oh....now I feel stupid. I'd hope not to see my CE out of service. I love riding my CE.

So, I'm not as I seem...ok...just accept me. Just try to.
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  3:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by raytobe

We inspect our own busses here. Each mechanic has a state inspectors license which is valid for performing state inspections on all vehicles.The state police issue these licenses and a multiple choice written test has to be taken every 5 years or so. Our garage is entirely for school vehicles so we don't perform inspections on private vehicles but the license is the same as if we did. During our summer maintenance work we affix a sticker to the windshield which is good for a year.

At least it sounds like the self-policing system is used correctly at your facility. One company I worked for was also licensed to do their own twice-yearly inspections and you'd often find the entire fleet sporting new safety stickers in time for afternoon routes, apparently they managed to check the entire 40 buses in the 4 hours between morning and afternoon runs. Not bad for a place with 1 licensed mechanic, 3 helpers and 2 hoists (sarcasm inserted here).

Best part was seeing the fueller being told to walk around the yard and apply the booklet of stickers and the safety inspection forms were already filled out by one of the owners. And they wondered why the drivers complained about the condition of the buses. The only one kept up to standards was the bus we all used for license renewal road testing or driver training. Even the examiner wondered why he always saw the same bus for tests.

JC
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  8:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC Theriault

quote:
Originally posted by raytobe

We inspect our own busses here.

At least it sounds like the self-policing system is used correctly at your facility. --etc...

JC

Our busses are safe. No need to try to cut corners as our funds are provided by the state and the city (the state lotto also contributes somewhat in a roundabout fashion). If there is a problem-- we fix it. We don't have a pencil pusher questioning every little expenditure, and the mechanics don't try to weasel out of a little work. Most years we have monies left over and the shop foreman has to find ways to spend it.
Go to Top of Page

Spencer

United States
188 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  6:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats interesting that you said that raytobe because FS is not a school District so they dont receive funding from the state like my old school district did so they dont maintain there buses half as well or are they always repairing was should be repaired. Proof of this is my bus but also one of are 3 year old CE's had AC and it was starting to have problems and FS let it completely go out which it still is to this day and they dont even care that its out on a brand new bus 06 CE with only 51,000 miles on it and its already lost the AC.

New School Bus Site:
www.schoolbuslover.smfnew.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

1stLtDan

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  05:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spending real time preparing for summer inspections and utilizing the state dot inspectors own list they use in the summer catches most everything. During the inspection of our school system buses, it seemed that first aid kit out-of-date iodine and insect packets was made a major issue. We had the majority already addressed with supplies from Ridgeway. Still it would seem all interested parties would have been on the same page. Not this year. Early spring 13 news out of Indianapolis put their segment on about unsafe buses. First Student contractor. You can go find it at 13 News Indy. You can see it for your self. They had some junk route buses. I would think that those issues would be an example of what inspectors really need to train to inspect for. Hopefully all the bugs got worked out of that inspection process. There is something fishy about that whole story. Time will tell what comes from those out-of-service inspections. They may not have looked at any first aid kit on the buses in Indy. They had to have missed the iodine and insect packets I'd bet money on it. If they intend to inspect all of ours the same they should inspect every single bus in Indiana the exact same way. No surprises just to make themselves look good.

Edited by - 1stLtDan on 09/23/2008 10:29:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Spencer

United States
188 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  1:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I read about that and are drivers here told us about that to. The same thing would happen here if they came and inspected are buses.

New School Bus Site:
www.schoolbuslover.smfnew.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  6:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, I cannot agree with ANY level of "self inspection" that is not at least reviewed by a qualified Commercial Vehicle Inspector, preferabally a State (or Federal) employee and more than I would if it were an aircraft.

Yes, there are MANY MANY district garages that do EVERYTHING strictly by the book, but infinately more contractors and some districts that penny-pinch to the exclusion of safety and common sense.

Having been a certified Commercial Vehicle Inspector, I would NOT allow my children to ride any bus that was solely "self-inspected".

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000