Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 TOO Much Heat on the Drivers Side
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CRR

United States
45 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  07:34:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit CRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw another thread about too little heat on the drivers side and I did not want to hijack that thread.
We have a problem with our 1991 Bluebird/International bus. There is so much heat at the drivers feet, we have to drive with the windows open!! The back of the bus heats up nice and mostly comfortable, but the driver needs to turn the heat way down in order not to burn up!! HELP!

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  7:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That means the heat works well. Having to turn it down is better than never having enough.

Buses are not a way of life, they are life
Go to Top of Page

CRR

United States
45 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  7:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit CRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is that! It is very difficult to drive 3 or 4 hours with the heat cooking your left leg :-)

"Who is Cosmic Railroad and why do they keep following me?"
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  8:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On our 93-94 Bluebird GMC's we have the same "problem." Even if the blowers aren't on, that heater gets so hot that you can barely stand it. I put say my lunch on the console top one time on the way to a field trip, It melted a couple candy bars and had my soda almost boiling.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  03:06:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those heaters are probably first in line for hot coolant, so they get the hottest. If you are willing to get creative, you could re-plumb the system to flow the other way, making that the last heater.

Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  04:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You could have my bus. It's got a single solitary unit the size of a large space heater up front, and it's a 73-passenger unit. Came from the factory that way, lol

I also have a heater underneath the seat in the middle. If the heat from the front of the bus gets too hot, I just open up the fresh-air ventilator just ahead of my stop paddle control lever.

If the heat is too much, what I would recommend doing is blocking the airflow out of that particular vent. Not only does it keep yer feet or legs from overheating, it forces more heated air down to the next vent opening. Acts as a sort of bypass.

I wouldn't reroute the cooling system hoses to either heater, since doing so may not only void your warranty (provided it's a brand new bus), but it might also damage the cooling system.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net

Edited by - Steven A.Rosenow on 03/18/2008 04:41:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

CRR

United States
45 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  1:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit CRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When the weather gets a little more hospitable, we will have our plumber friend look into it.
It sounds like rerouting the line to the back of the bus first would be pretty easy. Another thing we are going to try is to cap off the heat vent that is on the floor right by the drivers feet. That should help some as well.

Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  3:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What I do is close the valve by your left ankle. Even if you don't have the fan blowing from that heater, that whole console heats up to an unpleasant temperature once the bus is good and warmed up. The only way to cool it down is to close the valve. Of course that means you won't get any heat out of any of the heaters... but most the time, when the console gets so hot that it's uncomfortable, the bus is warmed up enough on the inside so you can turn the heaters all off for a while and be fine.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  6:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they ALL must be canadian models
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  7:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Both my buses are Georgia Birds and they'll burn your left leg too.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

Schoolbus56

United States
128 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  07:11:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All our Carpenters do the same thing.you can also put a piece or cardboard or similar, between your left leg and the heater. or simply close the valve. just watch your temperature gauge. sometimes some older buses will run considerably warmer with the valves closed if the Engine fan is not working properly.

wow.
Go to Top of Page

CRR

United States
45 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  08:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit CRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The biggest problem with closing off the valve, even a little, is the rest of the bus cools off. We just spent a weekend on our bus with the temp's in the -5 degree range. Closing the valve is a bad thing, but having to drive with the window open ***** as well.

Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  08:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If sending the hot water to the rear first isn't a concern then I'd say swap the hoses under the console to change the direction. Only concern I'd have is whether or not the heater cores are "one way flow" only construction so in that case you'd also have to swap the outlet/inlet lines on the heater cores as well, not a big job and will solve your troubles.

JC
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  7:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, if you reverse the system like that, if there is a booster pump, it will need to be reversed.

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  07:26:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't there a slider on there to divert the heat fom the driver to the passengers? Also try opening your fresh air vent a little.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

CRR

United States
45 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  06:48:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit CRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fresh Air vent? On our bus, there are round diverters that are slatted on the top, but there is another smallish square opening on the back as well.

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  09:01:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I see what you mean now. I went out and looked at a 91 Chevy/BB on our lot. There is no fresh air vent control! LOL or a slider vent. Looks like replumbing would likely be the cure. Unless you could add a fan to help pull the heat towards the rear of the bus.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

CRR

United States
45 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  06:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit CRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A small fan mounted on the floor might work. We could mount a fan similar to the one mounted for defogging the front window.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000