Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 DT466E blowing oil
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Unmechanic

United States
1 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  08:33:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Unmechanic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I recently bought a DT466e That is blowing oil absolutely everywhere.
I was told this was the turbo. Is that correct? I mean it is coming out the down tube the exhaust and just everywhere. If I change the turbo would that correct it. It has 218000 on the miles.
Any advice.
Thanks Shad

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  10:25:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to guess that you are starting it up, with no warmup, and taking off down the road right? and then you have oil everywhere. Start it up, let'r warm up for a bit 10 min or so then see what happens.. I'll bet that takes care of it. If your using 15W40 with no warm up that will happen. I use 10W30 in the cold and a warm up and dont have a problem, BUT, I know when a driver does not warm up properly and he will have oil shooting down the draft tube and then all over. I've seen it so bad that oil will be dripping off of pretty much everything underneith the bus when they have been late to drive their route with no warm up!

Oil galleries in the heads in I believe the mid to later 90's 466e's were not large enough to let oil drain back in a cold start, no warm up, enviroment and that is the result of that.

Warm it up a while first then report back.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  12:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You mean the 4" exhaust tube and not the much smaller oil-return tube right? Just checking!

You also might take the air charge tube off the other side of the turbo and just grab the blower wheel and see if it's got a lot of free play in and out or up and down...you'll figure it out real fast!

Oh and should you find the turbo has failed, don't forget to make sure it didn't pass any oil into the charge air cooler. I made that mistake on am 8.3 cummins...a reman head, all new tappets and a new camshaft later...

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 03/24/2008 12:32:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  1:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if hes meaning the draft tube thats by the exhaust or the exhaust pipe off of the turbo...Real mess if its out the exhaust.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  3:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bad turbo seals can dump a lot of oil out of the exhaust and a leak on the compressor side can clog the charge air cooler and, under full throttle pressure, cause excessive crankcase pressure though you may have other issues at work here besides the turbo.

Seek out a qualified mechanic to diagnose this. There's only so much we can do over the ninnernet.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000