New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  7:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering about how hard a job it's gonna be to replace the high beam switch on a 94 GMC bluebird. It's the type that is integrated into the turn signal switch.

I worked all evening extracting a broken bolt in an exhaust manifold on this bus, then as I headed out of the parking lot on a test drive, I went to click off the high beams and the switch wouldn't click.

So does the wires on this switch run down the steering column and plug in at the bottom? Are these switches only something I can get from GM? Expensive?

Im planning on opening it up tomorrow, and was just wondering what I have to look forward to.

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  03:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering if you might not be able to mount a floor switch and tap into the wiring for a less money and hassle.

JC
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  1:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What im worried about is that it feels pretty mushy when you turn on the turn signals, so im thinking the switch is split. The new switch is only 35.99 from NAPA, so im thinking im gonna go in that direction.

Is it very hard to thread the wires down through the steering column? I was thinking about taping the new wires to the old, then cutting the old and pulling the new through.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  08:35:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baptistman, It's not a difficult fix. The mushy feel is just the lever probably loose. The dimmer is mounted on the side of the column and may be just out of adjustment. The rod running from the lever to the switch may not be centered in the switch cavity. Or worst case the pivot inside the upper column is broken. Is it a tilt column?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  10:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no, it's not a tilt column

thanks everyone for the replies!

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  8:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy Cow, I've dug down into this thing, and I'm almost there. I just can't get the plastic piece that forms the top of the steering column loose. Do I have to remove the ignition switch to get the rod loose before I can get this thing off? The dimmer switch is messed up, as I can see it has no spring back action any longer.

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  08:17:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the tumbler has to come out to remove the lock housing cover. Make sure you get the rack back in the right spot during re-assembly. You shouldn't have to pull the column apart to change the dimmer switch. Unless you lost the rod.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  10:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sometime you can see where the rod goes by looking through the signal arm hole to get the rod in its top hole, be carefull your ignition switch does not move when you replace the dimmer switch as they have a common mount
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  7:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It took me a week to get this all back together and in working order. The next time it happens it should take me an hour. Thanks everyone!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000