Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Things to look for in a used bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bear

United States
6 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  7:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bear's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I run a motorcycle sportbike team that organizes some of the largest all-sportbike events in Minnesota. We're looking at getting a used school bus for our events, and had some questions about things to look for. My good friend Tony is a diesel mechanic for International, so he knows his way around engines and what-not, but has never really looked at school buses before.

We found a bus in particular we're interested in. Things I like about this bus (for my application) is the built in tailgate/ramp, painted black, and it's titled as an RV (no cdl needed). This saves me a lot of work compared to buying a retired early ninety's bone-stock school bus.

Here's the owners description: "It's a 1986 Ford 370 School Bus converted to a party bus/car hauler. The best feature of the bus is the tailgate. The previous owner cut the back off and built a tailgate that is hinged at the bottom and folds down like a ramp so he could haul his race car. After I bought it three years ago I used some angle iron and rubber seals to seal it off better, and added some latches for safety and an ATV winch to raise and lower it. I also added legs so you can keep the tailgate level, creating a deck on the bus.

It is all black, the side windows are even painted black except for the first four on each side. I painted the center of the roof white to keep it cooler in the sun but you can’t tell from the ground.

It was almost an empty shell when I bought it; I added carpeting to the walls and floor to help with insulation and to just make it more comfy inside. I added a couple futons (each can sleep two), and built a dinette which folds into a bed (sleeps one stranger or two friends) and adds lots of storage space as well.

It has a separate house battery that has a disconnect switch that isolates the starting batteries (2) from the house battery. I have the fans, the dome lights, the roof strobe light, and the radio connected to the house battery, and wired an additional fuse block so you can put whatever you want on there. When the engine is running you flip the switch and the above accessories are now on engine power and the house battery gets charged. The house battery probably needs replaced as it doesn’t hold a charge very well anymore. It also has an AM/FM/CD player with remote that runs two little speakers.

It just passed its annual PA state inspection a few weeks ago. The tires have plenty of tread, the air brakes work good, and it drives straight down the road.

I reduced the GVRW to 21,000 lbs, and have it titled as a motorhome, so no CDL is required. It has some sort of large Ford V8 gasoline engine (I’m not an engine guy) that doesn’t smoke and starts right up. It sounds like there is an exhaust leak, and it leaks a little bit of oil, but not very much. I just add a half quart or so every few road trips. The belt for the compressor needs tightened, when the weather is warm it will squeak every once in a while. It has a 5 speed manual transmission that shifts fine. Tires have plenty of tread. There is no cracked glass, all windows function properly, and the door lock mechanism works. This bus is very solid and not rusted out. You can still see the sticker on the frame rail from the factory. It has less than 139,000 miles."

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  10:09:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool looking bus, but those 370s eat the fuel. The air brakes are a plus, and that ramp is awesome. Does the car have to sit on the wheel wells? What did they do there? I would put in an automatic trans though if it were mine.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  10:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duh I realized you are hauling bikes, not a car. Still if it's cheap enough, not a bad deal.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  1:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Good luck with that 370. I use to own one and it was the most tempermental running engine I've ever seen in my life. One day it's running awesome - as if it was brand new, the next day (or even the same day sometimes), it'd run like it was about ready to call it quits. I'd look over that engine from top to bottom VERY closely. Otherwise you might be stranded on the side of a road somewhere and that wouldn't be too good eh.

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

Bear

United States
6 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  8:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bear's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies so far!

He's asking $3,200 for it. I figured the price was a little high, but I'd be willing to go as high as $2,800 depending on the final inspection.

Any thoughts on price?
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  09:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it a 2v or 4v engine? To me the 2v is more responsive and economical.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000